Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Where to start with helis

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Where to start with helis

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 01:59 PM
rayfan70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to start with helis

After some reading it looks like a lot of people say a coax is really a waste of time. But I would think it would be great as a first copter just to get a general feel and learn orientation. Or should I start with a fix pitched? I am looking at a Blade mCX2 coax and a XK K110. Both seem to have great reviews.Need opinions on where to start.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:41 AM
ArtW

I would start with a simulator. You can get a lot of experience at minimal cost with a simulator. I have flown RC for 50 years. When I first learned, computers were very expensive. I learned by building a plane, and having a trained pilot hand the transmitter back and forth, this was pre-buddy box. Needless to say, there was a lot of repair work on learning to fly and no one was very good at it. One guy in our club could fly inverted!! I built a computer and relearned on a flight simulator. Suddenly one could get enough flight hours to not destroy the plane. Everyone's skill set improved and many, many people can fly complex aerobatics. The same it true on helis. Use a simulator until you are really good at it. Then buy a small, variable pitch heli. The small ones don't break crash on grass. I flew a nitro heli for a long time and they break when you have a problem. With a small electric on grass, you can advance very rapidly once you can fly on a simulator. Having self correcting or rescue is also very helpful when you get disoriented. My advice is simple, fly something that can't be destroyed (simulator) until you are good at it. Then fly something that can tolerate crashes. Then fly something that can't.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:01 PM
YSRRider

coax is great for practice. I am old school, I would suggest getting yourself an old Hirobo helicopter for cheap and get further practice on that with someone skilled to help you. Unfortunately, its hard to find "skilled" people. Most people today buy an RTF helicopter and have no clue how to properly set it up. Im not quite sure what they do when they crash. Pitch gauge??? whats that???
Old 10-29-2019, 10:08 AM
iceman1111

Simulators are the best way to get some experience off the start. You will constantly use them and will always come back to them as you progress. Yes, I agree a coax is a waste of time. You will out grow it too quickly. Nowadays there is plenty of Blade helicopters that have Safe built into them and will self right and get you back to a stable hover. You can even go smaller and get a feel for what it is like. The smaller ones are much harder to fly, but they can take crashes really well and usually can be picked up and flown again without breaking any parts. Just remember if you can fly a small helicopter well, then you will have no problem working your way up to a larger heli.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:28 PM
dzydvl

Coaxial are not Bad. They are great for livingroom and orientation training but, yes, you will out grow them fast. As others have stated Blade has some great starters with pitch and roll limits that you can set and self leveling "panic" buttons.
One suggestion I would make is to avoid RTF. It has been a while since I bought anything other than BNF ok a kit and the radios that came with them in the RTFs were crap. Investing in one good radio that can fly anything from starters to 3D monsters helis, planes, guilders, drones is the way to go. Also it give you the ability to dial in throttle curves, pitch curves when you get to CP, and control curves. One Radio to rule them all!!!
I am still using my gen 1 Dx7 and run 3 planes and 4 helis off it each one set just how i want it. Oh and you can use them with simulators too. Really helps with muscle memory when you use the same radio for everything. That reminds me GET A SIM.

Best of luck and have fun.