Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Any nitro heli pilot still out there?

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Any nitro heli pilot still out there?

Old 01-12-2020, 05:15 PM
apache
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any nitro heli pilot still out there?

I didnt fly my nitro heli in yrs. I have a r50 and a sceadu 50. I cant get neither engine to start. I soak the carburetors in marvel mystery oil, replaced high speed needle valve o-rings, tried new glo plugs, tried fresh fuel. I am all out of idea.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:36 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Replace all plumbing. Remove spray bar from carburetor and and clean inside and out. Replace or clean clunk inside. Clean interior of fuel tank and pressure check for leaks.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:18 AM
winger76

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Were you able to get them running? I still fly nitro since I love the flight times. I have a Raptor 50 V2 with OS50 Hyper and Raptor 30 V1 with OS32. I used to have all kinds of issues with starting because of the remote start plug/wire. After installing a SwitchGlo PushGlo onboard starter I have never looked back. One season I hadn't started the 50 in almost a year and she fired right up and ran great. I like the pushbutton since each push of the button adds 12 seconds. So I can give it a couple clicks and have 24 seconds which gets me from start to hover until she clears her throat. I like to run on the rich side. It also tells me if if the glow is working and if I have a bad plug. Long live nitro!
Old 06-02-2020, 08:15 PM
apache
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by winger76
Were you able to get them running? I still fly nitro since I love the flight times. I have a Raptor 50 V2 with OS50 Hyper and Raptor 30 V1 with OS32. I used to have all kinds of issues with starting because of the remote start plug/wire. After installing a SwitchGlo PushGlo onboard starter I have never looked back. One season I hadn't started the 50 in almost a year and she fired right up and ran great. I like the pushbutton since each push of the button adds 12 seconds. So I can give it a couple clicks and have 24 seconds which gets me from start to hover until she clears her throat. I like to run on the rich side. It also tells me if if the glow is working and if I have a bad plug. Long live nitro!
I give up I couldn't deal with the frustration. I sold the sceadu.with a lot of spare parts very cheap. I plan to sell the raptor v2 too. I have a os37 engine sitting around for years. I Installed in the raptor and it started right up.
The blade were spinning fast but it wouldn't take off. I didnt feel like messing with throttle and pitch curve. I ended up selling the sceadu with the only pair of 600 blades I had.

I plan to sell the raptor for $150 plus shipping it will come with a os37 and whatever else I have that is raptor related
Old 03-15-2021, 12:39 AM
Joseph Frost

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

As with any IC engine, the more often you use it the better it runs. The more Nitro the more trouble if left sitting for a long period of time, unless the proper after use lube procedure is practice.
I prefer to use minimal % of Nitro in any of my models, and 4/1 strait fuel using only synth. oil serves me pretty well to date with one of my oldest model now in its 'christ 33rd. year'.

33 YO X-Cell60 on strait fuel.

Last edited by Joseph Frost; 03-15-2021 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:02 PM
Joseph Frost

Still smoking, but not ciggys.
(Tiger on patrol)
Old 04-26-2021, 01:23 AM
Joseph Frost

Regular "Tiger" outings after recent major service.
(Tiger on freezing cold morn)
Old 04-28-2021, 10:32 PM
Joseph Frost

Another XCellent day.
(XCell day out)
Old 05-15-2021, 04:56 PM
Joseph Frost

The more often you fly them the better they go!
(Tiger fun run) Regular IC runs, a must!
Old 06-08-2021, 04:52 PM
Joseph Frost

Another great run with the "Tiger" at Galahs.
(Tiger at Galahs)
Old 02-23-2022, 04:17 PM
YSRRider

the lines in the tank were probably deteriorated. No gas, no start. FUEL, AIR, SPARK
Old 08-18-2022, 02:10 AM
Joseph Frost

Still on Nitro, just this morn started to get going this horrible looking 50 size "TT Raptor", always hated that shokker canopy! LOL. 25 year old model, Local chap gave it to me to fix it, make it fly after it was sitting in an open shed for at least a decade!
I have never seen shuch a mess! Took me half a day just to clean it, now looking almost like new. Piston was seized and now the carby barrel is, just won't move!
I'm only hoping few days of Enox penetration might do some trick.
I have never run TT50, any idea how many turns of main needle on 10% N or should I mix more? Also what glow plug is ideal for this motor? Hot, med or cold?, when I'm ready to crank it up.

Broken plastic ball link on El. control arm, easy fix after minor mod.

Badly seized carby barrel!
Old 08-19-2022, 02:12 AM
Joseph Frost

Won't be long, another Nitro soon ready for action after full overhaul.

Totally seized carby fully serviced.

Easy fix of broken El. control arm ball link.
Old 08-21-2022, 01:38 AM
Joseph Frost

Running as new after today's re-maiden. Owner is delighted.