Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Governors

Old 12-09-2022, 11:15 AM
DLind43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Governors

Looking for a little knowledge. I'm getting back into helis after a 20 year layoff where mechanical gyros, flybars, freq. crystals and 3ft. antenna's were the norm. Boy have things changed !! Going with electric this time I went with the SAB Kraken S 700, Scorpion HKII 4530-540KV, Futaba CGY760R, Torq servos and the HobbyWing Platinum 200A ESC. Transmitter is a Futaba 16IZ. Will be starting the build soon. I know that's a huge jump getting back in, I just grow out of things fast. So I'm prereading all the manuals and I'm realizing that throttle curves seem to be a thing of the past as well. What I do see is the ESC, gyro/receiver and transmitter all have governor settings, lots of flexibility and flight conditions. Question is should the transmitter governor settings be disabled and use the ESC and receiver settings, or should just one be used? Jumping from one device to another during setup and tuning seems inevitable, but I'm looking for an efficient roadmap of a start to finish setup beyond setting the model in the radio, binding, servo travel, etc. any help is appreciated, thank you.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:17 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 257 Likes on 206 Posts

I set straight throttle curves and set the RPM in the ESC, the HW controller should do a pretty good job of managing the RPM, thats what I use in my bigger scale helis.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:03 PM
DLind43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see, so your idle ups are (for example) 50%, 70%, 90% across the entire throw then use the ESC to govern those speeds during pitch changes/maneuvers that would load or unload the head?