Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Broken Crankshaft on my OS32

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Broken Crankshaft on my OS32

Old 02-16-2004, 04:18 PM
johnnyseko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Crankshaft on my OS32

Just curious if anyone else has broken a crankshaft on their engines. I was flying my nexus and in mid-flight my engine died. Luckily all the auto practice on the sim paid off... After taking apart the start shaft I found the problem - the crankshaft on the OS32 broke! I'm not sure how this may have happened. Either from trying to crank a flooded engine over the past few months caused wear on it and it finally broke or could flying in zero degree weather weaken the shaft? or a combo of both???

Anyway, is this an "easy" thing to replace or should I be shopping around for a new engine. Or a new heli completely.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:06 AM
polyhedron_12

Default RE: Broken Crankshaft on my OS32

Just because your engine was hurt doesn't mean go out and buy a new heli!

I have a nexus also, they say it's old, but it gets you off the ground. If you have the cash, sure, why not, but you will still have to buy an engine. As far as rebuilding the engine, I'm not sure though. I've taken my engine apart and I learned that this is a machine with very precise construction. If it were me, I would probably sell the broken engine and get a new one.

just my two cents
Old 02-17-2004, 12:29 PM
wisdom-seeker

The crankshaft is probably the most durable part in the engine. If it broke, it was probably defective, and I would send the engine back to OS under the warantee.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:22 PM
johnnyseko

Thanks guys -

I just ordered a new engine. Not ready for a new heli yet. I just started nose in and want to master that before I move up to the EVO 50 I've been dreaming about. I just checked out the OS web site and will probably send the broken one to them. It won't be under warranty (bought it used) but I'm curious how much $$$ to fix anyway.

John
Old 02-19-2004, 12:06 AM
powerglide
My Feedback: (4)

its very rare a c/s would snap, the rods always go first.------------ where did it break??
Old 02-24-2004, 12:31 PM
johnnyseko

Broke inside the fan assembly. Right where the threads on the crank shaft begin. I still can't believe it broke there. I've always had problems with the start shaft in my Nexus. First I replaced the "pin" inside the shaft with music wire (a suggestion I picked up on this site). Then the plastic/nylon part cracked on the shaft. I replaced that a few times. Then I realized that when I upgraded to a hex starter I should have gotten the starter wand with the one-way bearing. I bought that. Since then I haven't had any problems through @4gal of fuel. The only other problem (not really a problem-just me not paying attention) is overfilling the fuel tank when filling and flooding the engine. I think trying to crank the flooded engine has really taken its toll on wearing down the parts in the shaft. Then the problem just went to the next weakest link...the crankshaft.

I just hope the new engine won't be so hard to turn over. I plan on breaking it in on the bench as suggested in Rays Heli Manual. I bought the one that broke used so who knows what torture it was put through before I got it.

John
Old 02-24-2004, 05:51 PM
MyWay

The combination of the cold and a flooded motor most likley was the cause of the crankshaft failure.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:38 PM
da_man
My Feedback: (30)

Some guy at the feild said his broke as well. He told me he sent it in and got a new one.