Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

os 32sxh starting problems (new engine)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

os 32sxh starting problems (new engine)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 09:53 PM
johnnyseko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default os 32sxh starting problems (new engine)

I have a question concerning getting my engine started on my nexus. It has had maybe 4 tanks run through it so far and I am still attempting to tune it. It seems I can get the engine to start ok the first time, but after trying to set the idle the engine may stall. After that I can hardly get the starter cone to turn. I have gone through three of the starter inserts already and that is for three times in the field! I just ordered the hex cone starter upgrade because of this. The guy at the hobby shop said it was most likely that the engine hadn't been broken in yet, but I was just curious if anyone else had this problem and what the fix was.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:05 AM
Charlie

I would say that your engine is loading up with fuel. You should put some kind of shutoff valve on your fuel line. When ever you shutoff your motor, the first thing you do is shut the valve off so your motor won't load up with fuel.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:24 AM
ET

The OS32 is a beautiful engine and it is very easy to get it to run-in with good idle within 3-4 tanks.
Check your mixture control screw and make sure it is within the factory set default, this screw controls the idling rpm, refer to your manual for the factory setting.

If you try to start too long, the engine might get flooded and this might damage the piston if you continue to force start using the electric starter.

If you suspect the engine is flooded, you just have to remove the glow plug, use the electric starter to prime the engine a few seconds without the glow plug installed, to remove the excess fuel, put back the glow plug and try starting again.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:30 PM
tisrich

Try this. Get a long piece of clean fuel tubing and put one end on the fuel inlet. Close the low speed idle mixture needle (the one inside the carb barrel), completely. Make sure the throttle barrel is closed completely before doing this. Now begin to blow air into the tubing while at the same time slowly opening the low speed needle. When you begin to hear air hissing stop opening the needle. Turn the high speed needle (big one) open about 2 turns from fully closed position. Put a new plug in and fire it up! This should be enough to get the engine running.
As stated get a fuel line shutoff clip and put it just before the engine inlet. This will keep any fuel from filling the engine while filling the tank which as stated is a bad thing.
Here's a pic of some cheap ones that work great.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2003, 05:55 PM
johnnyseko

Just wanted to thank you guys for the input. I think I finally have this figured out. There was no need to adjust the factory set mixture control - its fine. Removing the plug and priming out the excess fuel seemed to help a lot. Also a big help is the hex starter that I put on. It's just so much easier!

So I finally got the engine running really well at about 1 1/2 turns open. Heli got airborne, lifted straight up(nice) and then began spinning around like crazy!!! I landed it safely and checked out the tail rotor. I found I lost one of the set screws in the linkage.....Its never seems to end.........