Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Nitro Newb needs help...but I got pics for ya

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Nitro Newb needs help...but I got pics for ya

Old 08-20-2004, 11:26 AM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Newb needs help...but I got pics for ya

Ok I am a complete noob to nitro I have flow micro but never nitro. I am not too concerened about flying rite now. I am more concerened about setup. I bought an older hirobo shuttle Z. I have some pics and will post them on this message.

Ist question- were do I put in gas....do I need to pull out that nut on the back of the tank in the pic that I have.

2nd question is that the glow plug that is in the center of the cooling part of the motor? It has a wire comming out of it and the wire goes to a thingy that I have a pic of that is on the side of the frame...what do I do with that?

3rd question well Ill have the third question as soon as I look at the pics when I post them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13484.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	165815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46520.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	165816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83988.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	165817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60573.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	165818  
Old 08-20-2004, 11:28 AM
justin_92_92

Default RE: Nitro Newb needs help...but I got pics for ya

thanx for any help guys.

Name:	Lj21989.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	165819  
Old 08-20-2004, 06:28 PM
Temps

hi there (1) firstly to fill the tank get a fuel filter on the fuel pipe and fill it from there or get a remote fueling valve
(2) the wire coming off the the glow plug is a remote glow adapter you put your glow heater on the part on side of the heli as the main glow plug is not acssesiable like an extention lead (btw get a new one it looks knakerd)
hope this helps
Old 08-20-2004, 10:32 PM
justin_92_92

Thanx. Can you tell me if I have to get a spectial plug or do i take this apart to reuse the extention cors thingy?

Also what exact 12vt starter do i need? I see a few different ones?

Should the blades be tight or kinda tight or just hooked on?

Thanx again I really appretiate it alot. wanna fly before the snow does.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:05 AM
TuNeD PiPe

I would suggest that you get a new remote glow adapter which comes complete with wires and glow plug dummy which is where you plug you glow driver onto when you start the engine and then remove it once the enigne has started.
You can get any 12V starter you want, its your choice as long as it has a aluminium pulley with a groove in it so that you can start the heli using the belt which is aroung the cooling fan on your heli.When you want to start the engine you put the belt around the pulley which is monuted on the engine and fan.You will see it has groove for the belt.It is located just under the clucth bell/housing.
The blades should be tight enough so that if you tilt the heli on its side and hold the balde holders and give it a slight jerk the blades should move slightly as long as they're not too tight otherwise the blades won't get into their lead and lag positions.If they're too loose and you slam the heli down you could very likely have a boomstrike.
Another thing I would is replace all the fuel tubing as the heli looks like it has been standing for quite some time.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:57 AM
justin_92_92

sweet...I ordered a kit thing from www.hellihobby.com. It comes in a blue case...has a starter glow ingitor w/charger and fuel lines and it has a fuel resivor and a couple other things...it was $99.99 I didnt think that was too bad..

I got a glow plug extension wire thing too to replace the old. I cant find a glow plug #8 anywere that I can buy 3 and not 12 at a time.

I also got a fuel filter.....what do I do with this? and exactley how do I put fuel in this helicopter? it has a nut on the underside of the heli with the hose comming out of it...do I pill the nut out and fill it?

will the main blades start spinning once I start it? REMEMBER...I have never done anything with gas....just micro helicopters...so I know how to controll it in the air a bit but its getting there that worries me. Thanx for the sites too in the other post......I need to find a book on this helicopter to get part numbers from. The guy said it was a shuttle z but then I was told z doesnt have boom supports and mine does...but I guess that could be added after. I am not sure what this is lol.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:52 AM
justin_92_92

anyone?
Old 08-24-2004, 12:00 PM
changed
Banned

If it has a centrifugal clutch on the engine, no the blades will not spin until the engine is above a certain rpm. just remember to keep your collective stick all the way down, and hold the head while starting it.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:04 PM
justin_92_92

Ok....sounds good. So one hand hold the blades.....the other hand hold the glow plug warmer on and the third hand start the starter? I think I understand this wrong lol.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:44 PM
Pathogens
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

lalalalalal
Old 08-24-2004, 07:41 PM
justin_92_92

Well to set things straight.... I do know what a fuel tank is. I also know what the fuel filter does and goes to. I wanted ideas like you gave about the best place to put this on this helicopter.

I asked about how to get fuel in this helicopter becouse on mst things you have a filler cap...on this I see a nut holding the lines in the tank. I basically wanted to know do I take the nut off or fill through a fuel line? I gather from your post that I fill it through a fuel line already attached to the tank.

About the blades spinning.....I was asking to see if they needed to be held tight or would they not ingauge at all. I havent delt with this type of hellicopter before thus I asked before going to the ER. lol

I have experience with fixed pitch micro helicopters and I am capable of setting the servos up and all that. It is a bit different with collective but just a few more control arms and servos.

Becouse the helicopter looks a bit dirty is probley the reason you think it looks "very scary". Ill try to post a pic of what it looks like now. I have taken it all apart one piece at a time and cleaned the parts up and made them look better by painting them up. I was also carfull not to get paint on the moving parts and I did oil all thing that I feel should be well LOOBED.

I bought 3 new no.8 glow plugs as well as the glow plug adapter to make it accessable from a better location. I also have new fuel lines on the way as these ones lok a bit old. I can tell that. I also have a new glow warmer and charger and a new starter and a four way wrench on the way. I have like I said just about completely disassembled this helicopter and reassembled it to make sure everything looks alright. I wont be flying at a field with others as I have a huge back yard to fly in. And I will for the first week, just be setting this up as far as servo positions and trimming on some things. I know I wont be able to do all trimming unless it is in the air a bit but that will be in the future.

I will now take pics of this and post them on the next post under this.........Thanx for being so helpfull and not trying to make me look like im a a complete idiot.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:04 PM
Pathogens
Banned

I saw that you had prior exp. with micros.

But from your questions, come on man.. It appeared that you didn't have a clue...

sorry
Old 08-24-2004, 08:10 PM
justin_92_92

here some pics.

Name:	Ca81947.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	167182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41281.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	167183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65159.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	167184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh10764.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	167185  
Old 08-24-2004, 08:17 PM
justin_92_92

Here is the rest of what I took for pics.

I am wondering what it is that looks scary. I think I have it setup right besides the flybar paddles. I am unsure of there being level becouse I havent charges the batteries to get the servos set up. If you think there might be a problem with this heli by all means let me know as that is what Im looking for. I can take more pics if your specific at were you want a pic of. I think its comming along pretty good..I dont want to rush into it and I am not going to. I am going little by little to get it together and safe for my sake.

I through out general questions becouse then I would get indepth answers so mabey something would be said that I didnt think of. But I do thank you for letting me know I should put the fuel filter as close to the carb as I can.

Why is there a line from the fuel tank to the muffler? is it just for air? I also have two switches.....should these both be on when Im about to start it?

Name:	Wu62051.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	167186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31811.jpg
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	167187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97885.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	167188  
Old 08-25-2004, 06:42 AM
changed
Banned

Justin,

you are heading in the right direction, if you go to www.raptortechnique.com you will find step by step instructions on how to set up your servos. I realize you don't have a raptor, but it is the same principle for most heli's. It sounds like you will do fine once you get it dialed in. I've been flying for about 3 months now and am still fine tuning my heli. Started inverted flight last Sat.[8D]
Old 08-25-2004, 07:30 AM
steve69

Hi justin,

as I own a couple of shuttles I will try help as much as I can although yours is the older model to mine many of the setup stages are very similar, a couple of quick points for you,

1. in your pictures on your first post it looks like your fuel tank may be upside down, from the look of it the nipple on the tank that goes to the exhaust it looks like it is at the bottom of the tank when the heli is the right way up, if this is the case then you must flip the tank over as the pressure feed must be at the top otherwise the exhaust gas used to presurise the system will be blowing bubbles into the tank and you will get some serious foaming of the fuel(very bad!!!) Also if you havent already replace all the fuel line for new, this stuff breaks down after a while and you dont know how old it may be.

2. Run your fuel pipe from the centre pick up of the tank out through the side frame through the large hole and then back into the carb via the small round hole at the bottom of the frame, this will give you a small 'loop' where you can cut the pipe to fit your filter into, this will also give you your filling point by pulling the pipe off the side of the filter that goes to the tank and conecting your line from your pump (you will need a short piece of brass tube or the like in the end of your filling line or may have the correct part with your starter kit on the end of the line), swith the pump on, fuel goes into the tank and the air escapes out of the pressure nipple which is at the top of the tank (see item number one above, this is the other reason the tank MUST have the pressure fitting at the top)

3. Make sure your tail rotor blades are spinning the correct way after refitting your boom.....
looking at the heli from the exhaust side it must spin clockwise with the leading edge of the blades nearest the front of the heli moving upwards towards the main rotor .

That will have to do for now as I am still at work over here but will try get some photos up for some other pointers later on tonight.

By the way, looking much better now that you've cleaned it up..[8D] was looking a bit of a dog in the first pics

Dr Steve

Edit:
One other thing, if you are unsure of the age/condition of those batteries, DUMP THEM!!!!!
Helis can use more power than you might think and if it's old or not really holding much of a charge, when you go to fly and have to give a sudden stick input to correct drifting ect they can suck the battery dry real fast and unlike with your micro or RC cars ect, a flat or nearly flat battery WILL result in a crash as the gyro will run out of power and cause a spin. I know this very well as I was using some suspect batteries and had a crash two weeks ago because of them. I spent the equivelent of about $35 for a real decent pack (England prices are rather high so expect to have to pay less) and now have no worries at all in that department.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:23 AM
justin_92_92

very good. I have looked at the heli again and the bottom line is the one that goes to the muffler. So thats a good thing I take it.

I just swapped the tail belt.....the tail moves clockwise now but the sharper side of the blade is the leading side now....I may need to swap the blades or would it make a difference that my tail assemby is on the left side...I see many on the right side. Not sure.

Yup the fuel lines should be here today. Cant wait but ill be at work when they get in. I will do just as you suggest with the line. Also thanx for suggesting to replace the battery. It looks really old. What size is a good size to get? Or just get a new one the same size as this one. It is taped to the frame.lol

I really appretiate the help allot. I went to a site that tells how long my controll arms should be exactley...should I use that as a refrence or will it just screw me up?
Old 08-25-2004, 03:25 PM
steve69

ORIGINAL: justin_92_92

very good. I have looked at the heli again and the bottom line is the one that goes to the muffler. So thats a good thing I take it.
Umm.. if I am reading you right then no....
the centre outlet (nut) goes to the carb as you know and the one that goes to the muffler should be at the top, ie above the centre outlet when the heli is the right way up, otherwise big problems

I just swapped the tail belt.....the tail moves clockwise now but the sharper side of the blade is the leading side now....I may need to swap the blades or would it make a difference that my tail assemby is on the left side...I see many on the right side. Not sure.
you will need to also reverse the blades so the fatter/ leading edge is umm...kind of leading LOL
Please dont ask me to explain the technical reason behind this as it is quite complicated and I cant really put it into words but I have been reliably informed that that is the correct method regardless of side it's on. It's something to do with the blades meeting the downwash of the main rotor and makes the tail rotor more effective.

I went to a site that tells how long my controll arms should be exactley...should I use that as a refrence or will it just screw me up?
I would go with the instructions for a starting point for sure.
could you post the web link here so I could take a look just incase?? Please dont take this as being rude or anything, just to be sure like.

Phones ringing, brothers on his way to pick me up for the pub, will continue later.....

Dr steve
Old 08-25-2004, 10:00 PM
justin_92_92

Ok. the lines on the tank are in the right spot but the tank is upside down....not a good thing?
The writting on it is upside down. I should change that then?

K I will flip the blades around too. thanx, btw my stuff did not arrive for my heli...that sucked.

the link is here http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty...sy/zxassy.html you will have the option to go to every page of the manual...someone told me the link in a post before. It lookes pretty helpfull.

I think Ill buy a metric measurment tool. I only have inches.lol
Old 08-26-2004, 11:17 AM
justin_92_92

I was fooling around with the heli today and charged the batteries.....they seem to take a charge fine but before I fly I will get new ones. I have a question though. When I push up on the throttle the throttle servo moves but so does the collective pitch arm servo. Is that supposed to happen? My tail is not moving though....that kinda worries me. I will have to wait till the batteries are fully charged before I do further investigations but so far dont look the greatest.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:07 PM
someguy

ORIGINAL: justin_92_92

When I push up on the throttle the throttle servo moves but so does the collective pitch arm servo. Is that supposed to happen?
Yes that is supposed to happen. That is the difference between fixed and collective pitch helis. On a collective pitch heli the rotor rpm stays constant and changing the pitch provides lift control. The throttle must move with the collective servo because as you apply more pitch there is more drag on the motor, so you have to increase the throttle to compensate. This is done with a throttle curve and a pitch curve which is programmed on the radio.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:23 PM
steve69

Justin,

Have a really good read through this site, the guy that runs it has had lots of experience with shuttles and has some good info and tips on setting up.
http://www.helifever.com/intro/index.cfm

Also come on over to the RunRyder forum as I know of at least three guys there that still own your particular version of the shuttle and will be able to give specific advice on your heli rather than just general stuff.
I am known by the same name over there too.

As for the tail servo, maybe it's plugged into the wrong channel. that or the gyro is probably very old and dead, you should consider getting yourself a heading hold like on your micro, trust me it makes a lot of difference.

Later dude

Dr steve
Old 08-27-2004, 07:12 AM
justin_92_92

sounds good to me. I will check out both sites tonight. i ALSO WILL be getting a heading hold gyro. I was thinking about the 401. Lookes decent enough.

I got my starter kit today. Looks like a prettey good deal for $100.00. I like heading hold anyways. I cant stand having to keep er straight.. lol
Old 08-28-2004, 12:09 AM
fritch1969

I think I would loose the z bends on the collective and the throttle (everywhere)
just my opinion