Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Frustration beyond belief

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Frustration beyond belief

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 05:36 PM
wct097

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustration beyond belief

I'd love to try to hover or something.... if I could only get the freaking engine to start.

It's a TT Raptor 30 V1 (TT36).

Any suggestions? I set the needle 2 turns out, spun it... nothing... spun more... nothing. Finally I got it to start with the throttle wide open, at about 1.75 turns out, by holding my finger over the exhaust.

Shouldn't it start with the throttle closed, when cold?

I get nothing.

Thoughts?
Old 10-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Velocity-8
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Frustration beyond belief

Ahhh, nitro tuning...so much fun NOT!

If it only runs with your finger over the exhaust opening then it sounds to me like a fuel delivery problem. Check for leaks in the lines, tank and filter. Turn the needle back in an set it to the factory recommended starting point. Make sure fuel is getting through the lines. Sometimes a clogged fuel filter can cause problems. Does the tank have a primer? If yes they can cause air leaks.

HTH
Old 10-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Most crittical part of the T39 (and probably the tt36 as well) is the idle needle. They can be a pain. after months of battling, a friend here just upgraded to an OS 37, put a smile on his face.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:30 PM
wct097

I think in the end, I managed to either burn out my glow plug, or drain my plug igniter's battery. I'll try again Sunday when I get back in town. If that fails, I'll replace the fuel lines and bypass the header tank.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:03 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

New plug, good plug battery, needles set right, good fuel and make sure there is no crap in the carb and you shouldn't have a problem. You could also find someone who knows what they are doing to help you and eliminate 99% of the frusteration!
Old 10-18-2004, 07:17 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Just how cold was it? Below 40 degrees, it is harder to get them to fire. Holding your finger over the exhaust helps prime it and is often useful.

Tom