Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

New to helis.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 05:57 PM
USAF FLYBOY
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to helis.

I would like to know what a good radio would be that would be compatible for both airplane and helis. I've been flying planes for a while now and need to upgrade my radio system to about a 6 channel. Would 6 channels work for a helicopter? I don't really want to spend any more than what most 6 channels cost. Would anyone have some advice for me as to what I should look for? I would really appreciate your help.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:10 PM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to helis.

None of the 6 channel radios I've seen (which isn't all of them) have the programming flexibilty that you really need for helis. I would recommend either the Futaba 9C or JR 8103. It isn't so much that more channels are needed, but the programming features of these radios make everything alot easier.

Definitly get the heli version of whatever radio you choose.

Ben
Old 11-03-2004, 10:24 PM
okw

For what it's worth ...

I have a Futaba 6XAS that I used to fly planks and heli's for a couple years before I bought my 9C. Pryor to that, I used a Kyosho 6 channel non-computer heli radio that I sold to a friend of mine who is still using it today. While I really needed (wanted) the more advanced features of the 9C for my heli's as I progressed, the 6XAS served me very well while I was getting started.

Until you get into inverted flight and 3D, the lower end radios will work well. Many can handle moderate inverted flight with no problem as well. Other than the Kyosho mentioned earlier, I've spent most of my time using Futaba's, so I can't comment on the other brands. If I was looking for a low- to mid-range heli radio today, I'd look at the Futaba 7C ... less expensive than the 9C with many of the features.

Keith
Old 11-04-2004, 09:50 AM
Jeremy300
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have setup a friend's Raptor using the 7C. It is a capable radio and will take you a few years to outgrow. It will handle almost any flight style. The only things that really are missing are a governer program and a few extra free mixes which the 9C have.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:40 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a lot of good ones out there, but if you are serious about flying for a long time, you can't beat the Futaba 9C or 7C radios. Easy programming, all the functions you could ever want, and will last 15 years or more. It seems expensive at first, but is really cheap when you look at it. I flew my old 7UHP for 15 years, and then sold it for quite a bit more than I thought I would and it paid for a lot of the 9CHP. That makes it very cheap in the long run. Don't think about the initial cost. Look at resale and how easy it will make your life later when programming airplanes and helis that you haven't even thought of yet.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:22 PM
okw

One thing that definitely needs to be mentioned is that you should get a radio that is popular in your area. Programming a computer radio can be very intimidating to newcomers and an incorrect setting the the wrong place can cause big problems in a hurry. Having someone experienced with your brand of radio check over your programming before your first flight; or even help you set it up in the first place; can eliminate a lot of headaches.[sm=frown.gif]

Keith
Old 11-04-2004, 03:32 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I got a Futaba 9CH and am very happy with it. If I was really strapped for cash, I would have went with a Futaba 7CH. I started with a heli, and have since gotten into planes, and my 9CH has served me quite well for both. I'd say spend the extra $$ up front to get a good heli-capable computer radio, so you'll have an easier time setting up your heli, and won't have to upgrade in the future. In general, the radio system (RX & TX) is the last thing I'd skimp on to save some $$. The TX (and in most cases, the RX) will still be with you after many crashes, so choose a good one!
Old 11-04-2004, 06:52 PM
heli-john

No one seems to like JR radios then[&o][&o][&o][]?
Get the best you can afford!
Old 11-09-2004, 08:19 PM
kenjd

New to heli also and just got (about 3 weeks ago) the jr 9303 it is very nice, easy to use and program, even for someone with no heli knowledge.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:52 PM
arceye

Get the best you can afford without a doubt but if you have ppl who can help you learn to fly then look at the radio's they are using too and think about getting the same or similar as they will be more familiar with the way it works.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:16 AM
sdavied
My Feedback: (4)

I believe that if you must stick with a six channel, go with the Airtronics. I think it is the only six channel heli radio that has 5 point pitch and throttle curves. In my opinion, those are a must.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:25 PM
arceye

Doesnt a JR662 or the replacement 6210 have 5 point throttle and pitch curves ? it also about the same price as the airtronics too i think, that is if it does have the 5 point curves which i am not sure
Old 11-10-2004, 11:42 PM
okw

I would agree with sdavied that 5 point curves are a must, at least once you get into inverted flight. That's the main reason I switched from the 6XAS to my 9C.

arceye, the 662 only has 3 point curves, but the new 6102 does have the 5 points.

Keith