Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Need help tuneing OS61WC

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Need help tuneing OS61WC

Old 09-22-2002, 12:29 AM
Buzzin Brian
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help tuneing OS61WC

OK heres the deal. I have noticed a small vibration in the fin and canopy on my Fury 60 Expert while hovering. I have checked the head to no avail. Everything seems to check out. Flybar lengths are OK, and the blades ballance perfectly. Now I heard some guy claim that if the OS 61SXH-WC had the needles set the way that the manuall says to set it, it would run rough near the mid range. But he couldn't actually tell me how it should be set. So that got me wondering if this might be my problem. Because mine is set the way that the manuall says to set it. Mine is two turns out on the high speed needle, one turn out on the medium speed needle, and I left the low speed needle alone. I am running it on Powermaster 30% with a Hatori one piece muffler. And the engine has a little over two gallons through it. So what gives? Should I change the way it is tuned? Any help would be great.

Thanks for looking.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:48 AM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Try low end out about 1 turn, the mid range 0.25 turn or closed completely and the high end 1.5 - 1.75 turns open.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:10 AM
Buzzin Brian

Lean out the mid range? That much? Is this how you have your set? Just curriouse. I was thinking that it is about broken in, but have yet to even touch the needles. SO I guess I might need to lean it a little. Not sure about going that far though. I think I will leave the low end the way that it is, because it idles real nice right now. But I might try what you are saying about leaning out a little.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:14 AM
Furyflyer2

The mid range needle is not a mid range needle. It is used to smooth out the transition form 1/4 - full thro. You can close it , use the idle screw to adjust the mid range in conjunction with the high speed needle. This is how I've run mine for years.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:17 AM
Buzzin Brian

So is rough running at hover a known thing with running a WC to rich on that needle?
Old 09-22-2002, 01:31 AM
Furyflyer2

Originally posted by Buzzin Brian
So is rough running at hover a known thing with running a WC to rich on that needle?
The low end needle yes.
Old 09-22-2002, 03:02 AM
Buzzin Brian

Actually I was talking about the "midrange needle". I wasn't thinking that the low end needle would have to much to do with it, as it is mostly for the idle of the engine. So was I thinking wrong?
Old 09-22-2002, 03:33 AM
Furyflyer2

Actually I was talking about the "midrange needle". I wasn't thinking that the low end needle would have to much to do with it, as it is mostly for the idle of the engine. So was I thinking wrong?
Yes your wrong , belive me I know from trial and error. Go check out
http://www.curtisyoungblood.com/faqs...=Muscle%20Pipe

Question 12 Answer 2
Old 09-22-2002, 03:42 AM
Buzzin Brian

THanks for the imfo!
Old 09-22-2002, 03:49 AM
hobbyboy

Default midrange

Brian, thanks for the MO I got it a few days ago. The midrange needle is the midrange needle, period. Some people don't use it and close it off completely (including Curtis Youngblood) but it works just fine to run with it in use. Why compromise your idle mixture and high end to get a smooth midrange. Furyflyer please don't start a debate on this. You said your opinion and I said mine. Yes, a lean midrange can cause a vibration. I ran my WC at 2 turns out on the mid range. It really depends on the amount of pressure going into your fuel tank, fuel viscosity, filter drag, RPM ect. Just do what ever it takes to get the mixture right, which may include bringing the midrange needle into play. Set your idle and high needles first and if the midrange is lean (it normally will be at full closed position) then adjust the midrange needle to get rid of the vibration and get a smooth hover. Keep us posted to see if it works for you. Bob
Old 09-22-2002, 03:55 PM
Furyflyer2

Default Re: midrange

Originally posted by hobbyboy
Brian, thanks for the MO I got it a few days ago. The midrange needle is the midrange needle, period. Some people don't use it and close it off completely (including Curtis Youngblood) but it works just fine to run with it in use. Why compromise your idle mixture and high end to get a smooth midrange. Furyflyer please don't start a debate on this. You said your opinion and I said mine. Yes, a lean midrange can cause a vibration. I ran my WC at 2 turns out on the mid range. It really depends on the amount of pressure going into your fuel tank, fuel viscosity, filter drag, RPM ect. Just do what ever it takes to get the mixture right, which may include bringing the midrange needle into play. Set your idle and high needles first and if the midrange is lean (it normally will be at full closed position) then adjust the midrange needle to get rid of the vibration and get a smooth hover. Keep us posted to see if it works for you. Bob
Debate No debate , their is a right way and a wrong way their is the world championship way or the instructions say way.
Just curious if it does meter the midrange , how come you can close it completely???
Old 09-22-2002, 04:00 PM
Cougar-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Default Furyflyer2

But what if this person is in a different climate?
(nobody seems to ask that question first)
Like myself, I used to fly at 4,000 feet and when I came to the valley I always had to adjust my carb for more air more fuel!
also now that I have moved to Iowa the settings are even different With all this humidity! But folks seem to think that there engines will run the same as there's, from what I have been reading in the forums.. (like how many turns ect.) Just a thought to keep in mind.. I always have been doing it by ear myself. and making sure the engine is running rich enough ~S~
anyways my Two cents!
Thanks
Jeff
Old 09-22-2002, 05:31 PM
Buzzin Brian

All good thoughts, but I feel I should point out one thing that I noticed. And that is that the suggestion given on CY's site is for tuneing for a MP. Which I am not useing. So what would be the difference when tuneing for a Hatori? Some have said that the muffler will like it a tad bit richer than the MP will. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks so far guys. And glad to hear that the MO arrived OK Bob. Enjoy the Raptor 60.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:48 PM
Furyflyer2

All good thoughts, but I feel I should point out one thing that I noticed. And that is that the suggestion given on CY's site is for tuneing for a MP. Which I am not useing. So what would be the difference when tuneing for a Hatori? Some have said that the muffler will like it a tad bit richer than the MP will. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks so far guys. And glad to hear that the MO arrived OK Bob. Enjoy the Raptor 60.
I used the same technique on tuning the OS61 WC on a KS&J and on the Muscle pipe. Now with the OS 70 and a muffler I do the same and the engine runs perfect. On the OS61WC I ran it with and without a perry pump also.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:53 PM
Buzzin Brian

Thanks, I will give it a shot and see how it goes.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:26 AM
CrAzYfLyEr-RCU

i too am running the WC with MP....its running at the same needle settings as furyflyer with an enya#3 plug....seems to be doing great.....my advice would be to start leaning it out a little at a time till it runs right for your hatori....this is what i have done with the MP and i ended up right in the range mentioned above on needle settings......settings might end up richer with the hatori,just go slow and let us know how it goes....just my .02