Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

I DID MY FIRST AUTO!!! ...and my first crash. :(

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

I DID MY FIRST AUTO!!! ...and my first crash. :(

Old 09-22-2002, 12:53 AM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I DID MY FIRST AUTO!!! ...and my first crash. :(

Well, I was practicing autos today I was doing aprocahes with throttle on and landing as quickly as possible when I finally thought I'd give it a try. I was planing to do a power on bail out but the decent looked so good I went for it - AND DID IT!!!! From about 100 feet WITHOUT SLIDING IN NO WIND!!! I felt sooo good I thought I'd try it again exept this time sliding it. I tried it again and it didn't look as good but I did it! Then I practiced some power on fast slides which were a lot of fun and thought I'd do another auto.

This time I misjudged the distance from the side of the grass runway and my tail hit the rough grass instead of the runway! I heared a loud BANG and then I heared one of the most amazing sounds ever, one of the blade halves flew through the air and made a whistling whap for a good 3 seconds!! That in it self was worth the crash!! Total damage was 1 blade destroyed and the other one is fine, the spindle, flybar, boom, 1 tail conrtol rod guide, I T/R plastic case, I don't think the mast is bent but I'll replace it anyway along with the jesus bolts.

I think what I did today was well worth learning I CAN auto and hearing the blade fly apart. I was planing on upgrading the blades and flybar anyway, I want more responce, my shuttle paddles just aren't cutting it! Time for V-paddles!!MY tail boom also had a dent in it from hanger rash so I see it as I only really broke my spindle and tail roter case.

THAT was fine, after I crashed my heli I decided to fly my Sig Somthin' Extra, to make a long story short I ran out of fuel while practicing my torque roll 20 feet AGL, nosed in and snapped the fuse in half like a twig. I think I want to get a 60 sized funfly and put my OS50SX onto my Ultra sport and sell it. Sounds good to me.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:01 AM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

They get addictive !!!!
Old 09-22-2002, 01:08 AM
RS2K

Why is it so fun to shut off your engine in mid flight and land your helicopter?? I don't get it but I sure do like it!!

I don't know how 30 sized helis do it but my 50 does it just fine! I would have landed that auto if I didn't hit the grass.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:41 AM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Originally posted by RS2K
Why is it so fun to shut off your engine in mid flight and land your helicopter?? I don't get it but I sure do like it!!

I don't know how 30 sized helis do it but my 50 does it just fine! I would have landed that auto if I didn't hit the grass.
Well you don't shut off your engine. Wait til you do inverted auto's , flipping auto's and rolling auto's etc etc... they are soo much fun to do.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:56 AM
RS2K

Originally posted by Furyflyer2

Well you don't shut off your engine. Wait til you do inverted auto's , flipping auto's and rolling auto's etc etc... they are soo much fun to do.

Yes, I know you don't shut off the engine. I meant to say practicly shut off your engine
Old 09-22-2002, 05:45 PM
Ergo60
My Feedback: (1)

It must have been the weekend for autos. While i have never done them with my real helicopter, I have done them on the sim, and this saturday while flying around I came in for a landing and the engine quit about 5 feet up, I kept a cool head and did the best I could and landed it in the field. And even upright, but the landing was a little hard so I broke one of the skids, and a blade nicked the horizontal fin, other than that only a bent flybar. An hour later I was back at it again.
Old 09-24-2002, 01:17 AM
Culverson
My Feedback: (14)

I tried 6 autos this evening everything went smooth. Sorry for the mis-hap, I've been there & done that. The ground comes up faster than you'd like it to at times.

I did an inverted nose-in couple of stall turns about it today cause it got dark early on.