Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

pitch curve help for above beginner

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

pitch curve help for above beginner

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 02:50 AM
apache
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pitch curve help for above beginner

after my first crash my heli pitch does not feel right. I check it and it was at -1, 1, 31/2, 6, 8. I don't know what it was before because my instructor set it up. I was hovering for about three months now and would appreciate some pitch number's for someone a little above beginner. My tt36 is running very lean and burning out my expensive os#8 prematurely, is it possible that incorrect throttle curve and pitch curve can cause this problem. I just got a new os32 but I would like to try everything before I take it out because it is not going back in. To change the pitch which linkage do I adjust, I think if I adjust the pitch servo linkage that would affect the entire pitch curve. I dont know just guessing thats why I am asking for help. Tell me once I will know forever. thank you very much. I have a r30
Old 12-30-2001, 05:49 AM
volare

I know the feeling. But let me tell you that if you spend some time on boards like this and maybe buy Ray's Authorative Heli Manual soon you won't have to guess on everything. It's a lot better felling when you know your heli is setup right
Old 12-30-2001, 11:18 PM
apache

Default pitch curve

I am not that advance I am still trying to hover in one spot. I am going to check my local hobby shop for Ray's authorative manual.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:59 AM
Tom Day

apache,

Jesse and I are also new and until we got the heli set-up right, we had a fly to repair time ratio of about 1/100. (We even had 30 second days at the field.) Ray's was a big help as was an experienced flyer who helped us get things down. If you're flying a Raptor, I know that setting up things EXACTLY as they are in the manual is very good and to get things EXACT, we ended up getting a good link caliper (actually a caliper from www.grizzly.com and a caliper link tool from Rick's.) So, our take on this whole thing is--do your set-up per the manual with good measuring tools, use Ray's to give you an idea of what you are doing--so that it sinks in, and use your flight trims to get your heli so that it will essentially hover without any stick input. Once you're there--learning is much faster.

Good luck,
Tom
(BTW, though it is not marked, the long link in step 12 between the main rotor head and swash plate is 100-101 mm.)
Old 12-31-2001, 01:11 AM
Hitch-Hiker

Default Biginners pitch curves.

--As per the manual.-- (good resource!)

there is a guage on the left side of the main frame.

set you hover position (mid stick) to 6 deg.

top end pitch should set to 12 deg pitch. (full stick)

low end pitch should be:
for beginners 0 deg.
for intermediates -4 deg
for experts -8 deg

--my suggestion--

1) set it up with -1 at the bottom and dont worry about any pitch curves yet!! this may or may not be how it was setup before, but you will re-learn very fast the stick placement. You may have to adjust you throttle position a little.

2) learn IRCHA Pilot Proficency Program level 1. Learn the diffrent views of the heli (tail in, both sides, nose in) This will really help you later!!

3) Burn fuel, have fun!!!

If you learn this, when you finally find a local club, you will be off to a great start and on a fast learning curve for 3D! I've seen lots of people jump right into forward flight and then have a real hard time learning to hover at side and nose in views.

hope it helps.
Jeff