Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Venture CP - What Gyro and Pipe to use?

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Venture CP - What Gyro and Pipe to use?

Old 10-03-2002, 07:43 AM
Whoison2nd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venture CP - What Gyro and Pipe to use?

more questions.
Venture CP, JR XP662 and O.S. .32 engine is what i'm going to start with.. Should I use the Futaba GY401 or the heli Max Micro Piezo Gyro I have both thats why i'm asking - or should I use another one ? This is my frist heli and plan on using the standard 537's servos that comes with the XP662.. But i'm open for suggestions here..
And does anyone know of a good upgrade pipe that I can get for the above set up?
Old 10-03-2002, 10:43 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

What tail rotor servo are you going to use? I have a 401/9253 on my Venture, and it works beautifully. Make sure to turn OFF the DS switch on the gyro if you use a non-digital servo with the 401, or else it will take out the gear train on the servo within just a few flights. If you're looking for a fast non-digital servo, a Hitec 525 works well as a tail rotor servo.

As far as a pipe, KSJ makes a good 30-size pipe. But, since this is your first heli, you don't really need that right now. Spend your money on fuel.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:52 AM
Whoison2nd

Well the tail servo is up in the air .. I'm all for suggestions.. I'll even get the futaba 9253 or I think I have one in the shop.. I seen that KSJ but was reluctant to spend the money on it unless I knew it would fit, so i'll go ahead and get it also.. I have my own Hobby shop so I am getting this at my cost which isn't saying much if you know what I mean, but I love the hobby and I'm just getting into the air with this heli.. I was just wondering will the futaba gyro and servo be compatible with the XP662..

thanks for your response Wood218

Clay
Old 10-03-2002, 08:50 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Sure, the gyro and servo will work fine with your JR radio.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:45 AM
Whoison2nd

Ok, I checked and dont have the 9253 servo in stock can I use the standard JR servo that comes with the radio till I get a 9253?

Thanks
Clay
Old 10-04-2002, 07:35 AM
Culverson
My Feedback: (14)

I believe the JR 537 would work, but as you see it might be a bit slow for proper tail authority.
JR 537 specs -Speed: .25 sec. 60 deg.
Torque: 40.3oz/in
Size: .73"X1.52"X1.32"
weight: 1.58 oz.

Hitec 525 specs Speed: Speed:0.16 seconds/ 60deg- Has Hitec/JR connector also
Torque: 47 oz/in
Size: 1.4"x0.8"x1.6"
weight: 1.75
I would want to at least use a quicker servo like at least the Hitec 525. If using a servo other then the 9253 then you might need to increase the value of the delay (pot on top on gyro).
Old 10-04-2002, 10:57 AM
Whoison2nd

Thanks for the help everyone..
ok back to my first question.. Since this will be my first heli and doing option upgrades here at the beginning are not a problem. The Revolution Gyro that Horizon pushes for this heli or say the Helimax or since I have the Futaba GY401 which one and what benifits will I end up? Will I be able to tell the difference or will it help me learn easier by using I'm assuming the better GY401 along with the faster tail servo? Or say something like the helimax with just a faster servo combo be just as good?
I understand the aspect of what they do from all the reading i've been doing.. And as always or most of the time spending money usually means that its a better upgrade and that isn't a problem because I want it to be an all around great heli once i'm done relearning to fly in real instead of the SIM..
And once again thanks for the help.. 6 years ago I was addicted to chat rooms and nitro off road cars and now i'm addicited to RCUniverse.com and Nitro everything.. lol
Clay
Old 10-04-2002, 01:59 PM
Lift
My Feedback: (1)

Clay,
The Futaba gyros have pretty much cornered the market. They are VERY good. They have a high commuication rate and sense yaw much better than other piezo gyros. The AVCS(heading hold) feature of the 401 is about as good as it gets. Even CSM gyros don't seem to perform as good in heading hold despite them being the orginator of that technology.

What you can expect between the 401 w/9253 digital servo and the other options is a night and day difference. On a windy day you will have to hold the tail manually with the rudder channel using a non-heading hold gyro. With the 401, the tail will stay where you last told it to be until you tell it to do something else. Forward flight(FF) will feel a tad different with a heading hold gyro than a standard RATE piezo gyro like the Revolution or Heli-Max.

BTW, I used a Revolution gyro with JR531 servo when I got started. I couldn't believe how much better my Raptor flew and hovered back then when I put the 401 combo on.

My advise, put the BEST electronics on that Venture and hold off on "upgrades". Get a set of AeroTech woodies from Century because those Revolution blades that come with the Venture loose their covering pretty quick. The AeroTech woodies are about as good as it gets for woodies.

Pay careful attention to EVERY little detail about setting up the heli. A CCPM machine is not tolerant to controls not being setup properly. While it may hover fine for the beginner, a skilled pilot will notice setup problems right away in FF. So, get local help!

1) Remember, all servo horns set to 90 degrees relative to the pusrod!
2) USE LOCTITE WHERE ADVISED!!
3) Make sure you have no binding on the controls.
4) BE CAREFUL!
5) GET LOCAL HELP!
Old 10-04-2002, 04:11 PM
Whoison2nd

Payton,
Thanks so much for your help .. You answered alot of my questions with this.. I'm trying to learn so much since I have the shop Customers are asking questions about all this and I am feeling dumb.. Thanks again..
Clay
Old 10-04-2002, 06:26 PM
aashu
My Feedback: (6)

Default just

Just asking.. did you think about using a Tt39 instead of OS32..?
Old 10-05-2002, 03:53 AM
Whoison2nd

No I haven't.. I really was thinking that might have been too much power for me to learn with since this is my first.. But dont fear, I'll be getting others and more power in time..

Clay