Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Autorotation

Old 11-07-2005, 08:51 AM
ilasa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autorotation

I have a Hirobo Shuttle Evo 50 and am starting to train autorotations. Once I hit the switch and lower the throttle stick, the heli picks up speed. Should I then lift up the throttle stick slowly or do it fast until the heli nearly hoovers and then lower it a bit so the blades don't stop?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:42 PM
spritefiend

Default RE: Autorotation

Autorotations are a pretty quick sport, as you cant stay up prolonged amounts of time like a plank with an engine failure, voluntary or involuntary.

i think 0deg through any amount of neg will keep them rotating and not losing rpm. i try to stay away from adding lots of positive before i get into my landing area, and into a hover. sometimes you may need come up on the collective to slow your sink rate so you can make the last little stretch if your not on target etc.

the higher the rpm you have at the end, the more time you have to cushion your landing and not slam it on to the deck, or have squishy, limited control.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:06 PM
wisdom-seeker

As odd as it seems, autorotation is about finding the best balance between head speed and lift. Past a certain point, additional head speed means that you're falling faster than you have to fall. On the other hand if you're not giving enough negative pitch, your rotor will slow and stall. The trick is finding the happy medium. I know that this is difficult when autorotation times are measured in seconds. It does help to have forward speed, but even at best, your "glide angle" will be about 45 degrees, and your drop speed will be heart-stopping. At the end, you're trading rotor energy for a smooth stop.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:11 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Read this it will save me a lot of typing.

http://www.ronlund.com/autos.htm