Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

SCEADU EVO 50 or RAPTOR 50

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

SCEADU EVO 50 or RAPTOR 50

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 07:37 PM
smallplanes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCEADU EVO 50 or RAPTOR 50

Whats the best flying heli? I'm thinking of getting one just want to know a little about them.

Thanks for any input
smallplanes
Old 02-23-2006, 08:13 PM
sceadu37

Default RE: SCEADU EVO 50 or RAPTOR 50

ive had many people tell me that the sceadu's fly better than the raptor, but from what ive seen and experienced (very little lol) the raptor is more for taking the bangs....

just subtle differances like spares prices, availability (and a more'springy' undercarriage, but that probably make little differance lol)

i went for a sceadu over the raptor, because i didnt like the look of the raptor basically... i think unless you are a very good pilot, you wont notice a differance, and you should really put it down to prefferance, looks, and parts availibility
Old 02-23-2006, 08:35 PM
smallplanes

The EVO is a little cheaper than the Raptor at heliproz.com The evo is $589 with 600mm mavrick blades and hyper engine and free shipping. I forgot the raptors price but i know it was more. I am still learning rite now but i want a heli that will be waiting on me not me waiting on it. How much price difference is there on standard crash parts? I just want the best i can buy in a 50 size and i like the looks of the evo.

Thanks for the help
smallplanes
Old 02-23-2006, 09:14 PM
carlyle

if I were you, I would go for a raptor... Just for the fact that everyone has one, so you can get help much easier... Also, parts are easier to come by.

Its up to you though.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:30 PM
smallplanes

Thanks for the help. I think i might go with the raptor 50 v2 and hyper engine.

Thanks again
Old 02-23-2006, 11:27 PM
derek533

I'll throw in my opinion here. Look at the Caliber 5. It's $299 plus another $179 for the hyper. That'll get you an excellent flying heli with carbon mains included as well as other parts that are considered upgrades on the Raptor for over $100 less than the Raptor.

JMO
Old 02-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Gorgok

The Caliber 5 looks wierd. The mechanics on it...? Sliding servos? Its not eCCPM also... thats available separately.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:27 AM
derek533

The aileron and elevator servos are on a free floating tray that moves fore and aft to provide collective. How is the sliding tray any worse than a Raptor that has the aileron servo in a tray that moves up and down for collective? You are right about eCCPM, you have to buy a linkage kit in order to have this option. I think that runs $40 or so but I personally prefer mechanical mixing anyway. Easier to setup IMO.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:10 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Kyosho changes models every few years then support disappears for the older models. You could have the first Raptor off the assembly line and be able to get parts or upgrade kits for it now.

As for the other 2 they are both quality machines and you would be happy with either one. The EVO has push pull on all the linkages which makes it cost a few dollars more. They both fly from mild to wild stock and there's a few upgrades that either could use but don't really require. The EVO has mCCPM, the ccpm version costs a few more bucks.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:52 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: carlyle

if I were you, I would go for a raptor... Just for the fact that everyone has one, so you can get help much easier... Also, parts are easier to come by.

Its up to you though.

While I agree it's a good idea to get what others fly in your area, I don't agree with you saying everyone has one, they are not that common these days. Where I fly there are no Raptors, a few Hirrobos, and a few JR machines....
Old 02-24-2006, 07:37 PM
smallplanes

Well i changed my mined i'm not going to get the raptor i'm going to get the EVO. A friend of mine put on a show for me today with his EVO 50 and man i like that thing ,so the EVO it is.

Thanks
smallplanes
Old 02-25-2006, 06:19 AM
sceadu37

ORIGINAL: smallplanes

Well i changed my mined i'm not going to get the raptor i'm going to get the EVO. A friend of mine put on a show for me today with his EVO 50 and man i like that thing ,so the EVO it is.

Thanks
smallplanes
good choice mate [8D]
Old 02-27-2006, 11:31 AM
BarracudaHockey

Do what I did, get one of each!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56868.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	416697  
Old 02-27-2006, 12:22 PM
smallplanes

I might but for now i ordered a Evo 50 with the hyper engine and a Curtis Youngblood pipe, i got it from heliproz.

Thanks
smallplanes
Old 02-27-2006, 12:23 PM
BarracudaHockey

You'll be very happy with it.

Its nothing like raptortechnique but http://www.hirobotechnique.com has some good stuff and tips for that heli.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:52 PM
smallplanes

Thanks for the tip i will have to check out the web site.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Bayou Talker
My Feedback: (1)

Good luck with your choice. My first was a Raptor 50 (and my second!) but I have since acquired an Evo 50. I don't think you could go wrong with either machine. Parts for the Raptor are a little cheaper and easier to find in most areas though.

As for which brand is the most common, that depends on the area. If there is a strong dealer for Kyosho or Hirobo in an area then they will be the most common. If Raptor has a good dealer in the area then they will be most common. It is usually best when starting out to get the same equipment that most of the people in your area are using. That way they will be able to help you more since they already know what works on their equipment and they are more comfortable with yours.

I have done quite a bit of business with Heliproz and have never been disappointed and I am sure you will have the same experience. They seem to keep a good stock of spares for everything that they sell so you should not have any problems finding what you need.

Have a great time and take advantage of all of the help available to you and it will be well worth the effort.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:32 PM
RonHill

Here is what I always recomend in all of my equipment specific hobbies (skydiving, SCUBA diving, RC, Flying...ect)

Go to the local (insert place where you do said hobby) and look left and right. If you see more of "X" than "Y", get "X" since there is a reason.

Those reasons can be:
1. People get "X" for a good price.
2. "X" has more support in the area.

What this means is when you have a problem, someone will be able to help you if you have a popular piece of equipment. More people have "X" and that means you will not be left alone with no clue what to do. Case in point, I needed a clutch at the field one day and a guy had one sitting in his field box, and I was flying an hour latter. If I had a heli that was less popular (at that field), that would not have happend.

Nothing sucks more than having a problem and nobody knows how to fix it....

Just general advice.

BTW the most popular really just depends on what part of the country you are....Or even what the local hobby shop carries or pushes.

FWIW, I had the same question, and BOTH were very popular in my area....I got the EVO only because I found one used for 200 bucks.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:34 PM
smallplanes

Thanks for the input guys. The fact is that our local hobby shop does not deal with helis that much(except the blade cp) so almost any heli would be the most popular around here. haha. Well a friend of mine has a Evo 50 and he will be able to help me with it,as a matter of a fact he was here yesturday and i coped he's setup from his 9c into my 9c for the evo. I decided to get the Evo 50 from heliproz and it came in yesturday. I got the hyper 50 with the Curtis Youngblood pipe,401gyro with 9254 servo and 600mm mavrick blades and a oneway bearing starter shaft i'm also putting in a fromeco 2400mah lipo battery and a split regulator. I have some hitec 5945's i think thats the # digital servos for cyclic and a futaba 3004 for throttle and a futaba pcm rx. I have not started on it yet because my Trex parts also come in so i can put it back together from the little crash i had last week, but i'm learning. What do you guys think of my setup on the Evo?

Thanks for the tips on the helis
smallplanes
Old 03-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

I just got a Raptor 50 with the 401, Hyper 50, 9C with 9254's....so maybe we can compare notes.....

It was a toss up for me. I like the looks of the EVO but everyone and their brother flies Raptors at my club...so that was the smart move.

Maybe someday I will own both... Seams like the 50's are very popular...

Pugs
Old 03-08-2006, 11:52 AM
BarracudaHockey

Pugs, follow the build step by step on Raptor Technique and its hard to go wrong with it.

Just remember, locktite any and all metal to metal, don't use locktite on screws that go into plastic.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Bayou Talker

Pugs

Fifty's are popular for several reasons. First they are stable to learn on and when you progress they have enough capability to keep you interested. Second they are cheap to repair and cheap on fuel usage. Third they are very hard to beat for initial cost to purchase ans set up. They are also easier to transport due to size than some of the larger birds. For those reasons, I will probably always own at least one 50 size heli and probably more. Of course, most of us do try more than one brand so the likelihood that you will own an Evo in the future is very good.

Barracudahockey is right, http://www.raptortechnique.com/ is a great source to learn about building, setup and flying of your new Raptors. Every new Raptor pilot can save himself a lot of time and effort by using the information available there.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Thanks guys.....already been there and you guys are right. Great place to be to learn set up. Matter of fact....I brought my heli into work with me so I can set up the radio.

Pugs