Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Newbie questions....

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 06:34 PM
skymastr18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions....

I have a Eagle 2 trainer airplane I have had since I was 15 (8 Years) and flown it 4 times, and crashed it once. I have always wanted to get into RC helo's (they dont need as much field to take off) I am looking at buying a Concept 30 Combo from Heliproz. With the field kit and all I am looking at over $1100. I know this is something I will enjoy doing, I just dont know if it as easy as I think it is. I have 5 years of Commercial Aviation experience. After going to the local hobbie shop, this make me wonder. The guy at the shop said that flying helo's is no easy task. I said even for hovering and flying around the field. He said yes, it is very tough. So my question to you is, is it really that tough? With my aviation experience I feel I can handle about any type of RC flying. I know acrobatics are a whole different story. I will get to that one day. Is it really worth spending $1100 to get the kit to realize it is to difficult. Are there any good instructional videos to help. Thanks for your help. If i decide to get the kit, you will hear alot more from me. Mike.

PS-I have been flying on FMS, and not had any problems at all with Forward Flight or hovering (Actually is easy). It is when the Helo gets far away from me I get lost and crash.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:40 PM
dyazdani

I'm in the same boat as you, I just bought a P-51 and then decided to get a heli. There is no flying field within about an hour but I can find many places to fly the heli.

Anyway, I had never built or flown a heli before a week and a half ago. I bought RealFlight and practiced on it a while. I can do flips, inerted hover, etc on the sim. Don't have the guts to try when $$$ is involved though.

Every flight with the real thing (Venture 30) has been flawless. I am through a gallon of fuel and haven't had any problems. Biggest thing is to make sure the heli is set up right.

Did you mean the Caliber 30?? I wasn't able to find the Concept still for sale at HeliProz.

Danish
Old 01-21-2003, 08:15 PM
skymastr18

Sorry I meant Caliber 30
Old 01-21-2003, 08:31 PM
extremeflying
My Feedback: (7)

i dont think ur experience will help u that much. Yes helis r hard to fly. HARD but take your time and more practices you'll get the hang of it no big deal
Old 01-22-2003, 02:25 AM
evscott

Forget everything you know about planes. As one pilot to another, an RC airplane has really only two axis's to worry about. Pitch and Roll, (yaw in some but it really isnt critical) and the airplane only accelerates along the longitudinal axis and only in one direction, IE it thrusts forward.

RC helis are substantially more difficult to fly vs an RC airplane. You have to worry about pitch, yaw, and roll, along with the heli being able to accelerate vertically, longitudinally, and laterally in both directions.

The difficulty of mastering heli;s is what got me into this field though! I've loved every minute of it!
Old 01-22-2003, 05:45 AM
heli_fear

Well being a recent newbie pilot in the field of rc heli's I must say I enjoy every second of it, once you fly heli I truely believe you can't go back to anything else, I've been in rc nitro cars for much time and the fun is uncomparable to heli's in my opinion. I've only had 7 flights to date with my heli and so far can hover in all directions, (not perfected but nicely) and do some pretty decent foward flight from side to side with some good hook turns, similiar to a plane except much more involved, all this possible with countless hours I've put into the simulator, I can't appreciate it enough, get on the sim and practice, practice, you surely will not regret it, and as I have learned from most experienced members in these forums, if you crash its just an oportunity to upgrade! :O
Old 01-23-2003, 12:08 AM
edg

What I did, prior to getting any real equipment, was getting the Realflight Simulator (or anything comparable will do). I practiced on it for about 2 weeks to where I was comfortable hovering. Then I got the heli, radio, etc...

Aside from some mechanical setup difficulties at first, my initial hovers were absolutely trouble free. The sim is very close to what you will experience. R/C Plane and commercial aviation experience will get you virtually no where.

Your single, most important, first purchase should be a sim. Second, is a good radio. Third is whatever .30 size heli suits your budget (pretty much all of them are good).

Once you're comfortable hovering, you're over the biggest hurdle. A sim will get you there.

-edg-
Old 01-23-2003, 01:48 AM
MonkeyDude

Everyone says sim is so important. What if my current computer is not fast enough for ANY simulators out there, even FMS. What can I do? (other than getting a new computer)
Old 01-23-2003, 01:35 PM
WillMac795

You could get a Snelflight Hoverfly. About the same price as a sim and really gives you the thrill of flying. Great little beginners model.