Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

scale heli vs postal system

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

scale heli vs postal system

Old 12-12-2006, 06:23 PM
jez33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scale heli vs postal system

hi, all..
i sold a slale heli a few weeks ago and sent the item from UK, to canada,
not long after the buyer informs me it has arived damaged.. i put a claim in to the post office as it had some insurance ...post office wrote back to me and say the normal stuf of,,
''we're sorry of the damage and we pride ourselves on our safe deliveries 'ect ect .

but in my case they say they wont give compensation as it was not sufficiantly packaged..

has any one had the post system ( in any country ) give such a useless answer or have they been good at paying out .
any tips on what i shouls say next minght be helpful to me too..

im suspecting the post office use this excuse alot and hope the customer wont bother persueing a claim further..
Old 12-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Kevinator9

Default RE: scale heli vs postal system

What did you package it in?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:10 PM
jez33

hi..
it was rapped in atleast2 coats of bubble wrap and i reinforced its strength from inside with foam blocks so if pressure was put on it on the sides then it would have been still fine..i put fragile stickers on it too .

the damage was on the tail doom and it is consistent with some thing heavy dropping in the middle of the tail..

i know some might say that it really needed a thick card board box but when i went to the super market the boxes they have wernt any where near large enough.. i dont even think a box would have saved it from this damage ..
Old 12-13-2006, 06:44 PM
reaaz

Only way to prevent damage to these birds & planes is to crate it!
Bubble wrap & foam blocks can be shifted.. better thing was to have a crate specially made & use foam blocks etc... to "float the model in the middle of the crate. Use it when shipping future models i guess. Plus don't use cardboard as a crate!
Sorry to hear of the damage to it... is it repairable?

I think there are aluminum tote boxes made by chip hyde etc.. for traveling with helis... very rigid & strong..
check them out
Old 12-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Kevinator9

That sounds sufficiently wrapped! And with fragile stickers too! But the postal services rarely notice those. Sounds like you got a bum deal...
Old 12-14-2006, 02:30 PM
reaaz

No matter how much bubble wrap you wrap around it & peices of foam block, if i were to sit on it.. it would still easily crush. this is because a fiberglass fuse just cannot support that kind of load, no matter how much padding is around it.

What i figured is even though your package was label fragile.. it also shipped with lots of other "fragile" stuff around it sometimes even on top of it. end result damge occurs.. not during handling.. but during bulk transportation when heavy stuff on top of it crushes it! so always package your stuff like if it were to have everyone elses stuff on top of it..... crate emm!
Old 12-14-2006, 04:52 PM
jez33

yes,,
i think if i sell another item on ebay i will have too crate it as you say,,, its a shame though as the cost of postage will no doubt double..
Old 12-14-2006, 09:40 PM
reaaz

cost of postage is nothing.. when shipping a work of engineering art! lol