Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

New heli pilot looking for great bird

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

New heli pilot looking for great bird

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:33 AM
Uncle Sir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New heli pilot looking for great bird

I am not buying yet but researching for a great bird to have. . . look at profile to see experience.

I have the cx and am currently learning cp pro but would like to eventually go gas (nitro) or larger electric but would like a very stable, smooth bird. If money was no bounds where would i go?

(i wish that was the case, about the money and all!!!!!!!!!!)

Old 12-31-2006, 07:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts
Default RE: New heli pilot looking for great bird

Money no object? WOO HOO!

The best way to start IMO is a 50 size nitro, they have the power to weight ratio of the larger helis, the parts cost of a 30 with fuel consumption cost falling in between. Of the 50s theres several offerings but the Raptor 50 is a widely popular choice, slightly better but a bit more pricey is the Hirobo EVO 50. Both are widely supported by parts vendors, fly very well and can be setup from mild to wild with just a few simple changes.

Heliproz http://www.heliproz.com and Ricks http://www.ronlund.com are the best in class for web retailers.

An OS50 hyper, a GY401 gyro/servo combo and some decent servos and you have a machine that will take you from training to 3D. Starting with a 30 is cheaper initially but most that have and stuck with it will tell you they would have rather spent the money up front than upgrade later.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:27 AM
Helijack

VARIO
http://www.eastcoastvario.com/
Joe is awesome. Product is expensive. Product has low parts count. They make 3D machines to scale machines. Electric to turbine.
J
Old 12-31-2006, 09:37 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

An excellent not too expensive ship is the Hirobo Scedau Evo .50 It can do anything.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:14 AM
Uncle Sir

i will check those out guys! Great advice!

It might be a month or so before i enduldge, still learning from blade cp pro. That will also allow me to save some pennies and make the wife happy!!!! I have yet to meet a truly wealthy modeler

thanks again gents!
Old 12-31-2006, 01:44 PM
wfo

Raptor 30 V2 with OS .37, GY401 Revolution pipe from Horizon (31.99) and DX7. Use DX7 servos and buy a cheap servo for throttle. I have less than a grand in this set up. My buddy has the same thing as well as a Excel 70 and a Raptor 90. He flies heavy 3D and says his learning curve has escalated since the purchase of his 30 this spring. Crashing is a whole lot cheaper fuel consumption is way less and he is able to do every thing he can with his 90. I was previously flying a Blade CP and let me tell you flying the 30 is like fling a CX compared to that Blade CP. Just because money is no object does not mean you have to blow it. I can see this hobby is addictive and you will probably want to build a 90 before long any way, build and fly the 30 and bling out a 90 and you will be much happier.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Uncle Sir

wfo,
if money truley wasnt an object, heck, i would have bought 8 and sank them into the ground!!! I am a very patient guy and will save up as long as i need to get something worth having. I see what you are saying about 30 size helis. I know you are right. Its like my buddies 42% edge. Thats a 11,000 dollar set up. Mine, however isnt. Its a few inches smaller, but will actually out preform his. Most of the time we swap planes because mine is more nimble ect...

One thought is the new TRex 600. thats a big electric. The only appeal is that i could fly in my neighborhood area and not upset people with a nitro engine. I guess i should clarify that the heli is for near the house, ill save my airplanes for the field and my heli(s) for the close fix. But the idea of the nitro is not bad, but i will have to buy a lot of nitro field equipment. All my planes are gassers.

but i am all ears, keep em' commin
Old 01-09-2007, 12:20 PM
w.pasman

Even if money no object then I would go for a cheap 50 size.
Cheap makes you fly easier. 50 size is much less impressive than the 90's, money can repair your heli but not your body
Old 01-09-2007, 08:35 PM
syclic

You are lucky to be getting into it today, because even some 30's and most 50 to 90 sized nitro helis, from established manufacturers, can take you from basic hover to all out 3D, while handling some pretty good winds. Ditto for 500 to 600 and larger class electrics. Of course this assumes they have all been set up properly. Generally, the bigger the heli, the more stable it will be in a wind. But in reality with the power plants available today and the rotor head designs of today, there really isn't as much difference as many may think, between a powerful 30 and a 50 or a 90.

But there can be a very noticable difference in cost of operation (fuel, maintenance and crash cost). And also, the bigger they are the more intimidating they can be. It seems that most people progress faster if they are relaxed (read...less intimidated). For some reason, the more the stress tightens the sphincter muscle, the less efficient is the brain and one's reflexes.

My recommendation is that, if you are really interested, take a few hours to read through various "brand/model" specific forums on different sites. There are some sites that are only dedicated to R/C model helicopters and who have specicic forums for each brand and/or type. Check these out (e.g. R/R, H/F, R/W), they are full of great information. Note specially the comparisons from individuals who have owned and operated a number of different brands and models and what they have to say about them. (If I have only owned Fords all my life, I would not be the one to be asked for a comparison of my auto to other brands, as I have never owned others.)

Also note which models seem to have the most people talking about maintenance problems, component failures etc. This will give you a relative impression of the quality of the design, of the components used in the design etc. Also it may be worth having people give good and logical reasons why they think one model better then another - e.g. better rotor head and why it is better, better tail rotor and why it is better etc.

After all is said and done, most helis on the market today are worthy, just as most of todays automobiles are. So just as in autos, you will see a lot of Chevy/Ford type of recommendations. What feature may be consider important to one person, may be of minor importance to another, and vice-versa.

If you like bigger outdoor electrics, pick one that will fill your requirements, ( e.g. Swift, T-Rex 600, Logo 10 3D)

If you like 30 size nitros, then pick a 30 that will fill your needs (e.g Hawk Pro, Evo 30)

If you like 50 then pick a 50 that will do so (e.g. Raven 50, Evo 50, Raptor 50SE)

If you like 90 ... ditto (Predator Max, Evo 90, Raptor 90 SE)

Whatever one you pick, just get one that will require the least extra expense to upgrade it to where you will want to take it.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:30 AM
Andrew McGregor

If you're flying gasser planes, then don't bother with the nitro... just electrify a Raptor 50. Same no-fuss setup as a gasser, same power or more, same flight time, just a bit more expensive to start with because of the batteries... although if you do one based on A123s or M1s (the two kinds of lithium can cell) the packs are quite a bit cheaper.