Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Quick 60 Pro & HHI - Anyone have any experience?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Quick 60 Pro & HHI - Anyone have any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 12:55 AM
theramman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know, tangent.....

I disagree about resolution in a public forum. Many items have been casually discussed on BBS boards that have created many a resolution. Just my experience with the Thunder Tiger EK4 was proof to that. I think this is a casual hobby, and everyone involved would like to believe problems could be discussed in an open forum to come to a collective resolution. I don't believe many would disagree with that point. Anyways, back to the point at hand, I can't compare the Quick .60 to anything other than the Raptor 60, and all I can say is that the Quick .60 is a well engineered machine with quality components requiring no upgrades, where on the other hand, the Raptor .60 requires a bit more work to get it to compete with the level of smoothness offered by the Quick .60.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:56 AM
gjsinke

Default Quick 60 Pro & HHI - Anyone have any experience?

We included 3mm pivot balls instead of two 2mm, so he tried to tap them himself to 3mm
WHO screwed up?

If this was a manufacturing defect or our screw up we would have no problem replacing the item in question, but it is not, this is someone who has a used helicopter with an unknown number of flights on it
You have determined it is NOT a manufacturing defect...based on what?
Here's an exerpt from the add, here on RCU, from the seller, who, BTW, has defended HHI outside this thread. But I suppose even your good customers 'might' lie.

Heli hovered 4 times never crashed
This heli package is only 2 months old and is in mint like new condition.
If your policy is to warrant only to the original purchaser...then so be it...that's all you had to say. But to focus on 'not my fault' probabilities without any evidence, well, that just profiles your character. No one here has asked for carte blance never ending warranty policy.

As for an olive branch, he said that in fact this was just a test in the first place, no bearing is going to fix this.
More than once through this thread, i have tried to keep the door open for you to communicate your position in respect to knowing there are always two sides to the story. I only mentioned the 'test' after the fact...not in the first place. This indeed was intended as another opportunity for you to explain your customer service policy. You were not set up to fall in a trap...you did it all on your own.

We have had people in the past send whole helis back, clutch assemblies, motor stacks and we looked at them, gave our opinion, and when need be fixed what needed it.
You mean I'm not the Lone Ranger here with a few bearings that are destined to cause failure in time and possibly take out the other $2000.00 worth of stuff on this bird? I don't think so.

If anything here Jon, I'm sure you guys aren't all bad, but maybe the lesson should be yours to learn. It might be time to look in the mirror and see how you are treating your customers. ALL of them.

Sincerely,

Jim
Old 03-12-2002, 01:06 AM
Butch R

John, I see your point, but. This was your chance to do something here for a quick owner and ultimatly stop this thread. Come on! How much could these bearings cost ( your cost). There are several heli forums that exsist, RCU, RM and runryder. Why here? You may enjoy what you do but having to defend someone, or circumsatances that you don't have control over is pathetic. Ron Lund called me at 7:00 PM one night just to see if he could help me with some CF tail fins. I'm in the same time zone so he was working later than me and with the prospect he was not going to get a sale. John, I feel for you because you have replied to my emails, before I got to talk to Irwin himself. Before he was done with me I felt ashamed to fly concepts. He told me that they were going out of business. That was before the Caliber 60. Hum go figure.

Butch R
Old 03-12-2002, 03:33 AM
JonYuhas

Jim,

If what is going to resolve this matter is indeed some bearings, then I will be more than happy to do that. You need to understand our position in that if we just give away new bearings or new swashplates or new clutches or new whatever to whomever said something was wrong, we would be out of business. This is why whenever we have a problem like this, we ask to have the old item sent back to us, so we can see it, and then we either repair it or replace it. I don't see how this is a bad policy.

I did not really see this as a legitimate issue because of its placement in this public forum compiled with fact that this isn’t the first owner. I feel that if there was a legitimate claim for a new bearing the customer would call us or email us and we would discuss it directly.

As for a public forum being used for solving problems, I do agree that a public forum is a great place to resolve problems like, my tail is wagging and what should I do? Or, I can't figure this or that out, any insight? I don't think a public forum should be used to get an item replaced from the manufacturer. We’re not even talking about a flaw in the helicopter overall, we’re talking about a person who has a bad bearing or two.

As for Irwin's opinions on other helicopters, all I can say is he believes in what he is doing, and treat his opinions as just that, his opinions.

Oh well, good night, I hope I see something good in the morning.
Jon Yuhas
Old 03-12-2002, 02:06 PM
theramman

Default A little more positive.....

Well that last statement is beginning to sound a little more positive! And I think that's really all we were waiting to hear. Just send it in, can't ask for more than that, that's the way everyone else does it......
Old 03-12-2002, 09:32 PM
gjsinke

Jon,

Thank you for your consideration. Please understand this thread was not started so I could get some free bearings. In fact it was midway when I even discovered I have this problem! Nor was I asking you to go against the grain of your company's policies, but I still don't know what your warranty policy actually is! I wanted to hear other's experience with the Quick. The scant few were very positive. That says a lot for the heli, yet little for your company. Granted, Jon, you cant please all of the people all of the time and there are unscrupulous people out there that will try to scam you. I believe if HHI changes their thought process that this is the exception as opposed to the rule, perhaps you will be on the road to mending your reputation here. The whole picture is that if you screw someone, you end up getting screwed yourself, whether you are the customer or the vendor! There are many lessons to be learned here. I have learned and I hope you have too. I wish to commend you Jon, and HHI for your participation here. To stand in the line of fire and defend yourself is great. But I think if you do it with positive influence, as opposed to negative, you might have a chance. Bottom line, be honest, dependable, competitive and above all...be NICE...and your business will thrive. Good luck to you.

Signed,
(The illegitimate 'person' with a bad bearing or two) I.E. (potential customer, person that could contribute to your paycheck OR disgruntled customer that could contribute to your demise)
Could be any consumer, Jon...the choice is yours.

Sincerely,

Jim
Old 03-12-2002, 11:41 PM
theramman

Default The Quick

I would, since you got the bird for essentially free, try and give it a whirl. It sounds like you have nothing to loose! I actually am not product loyal, which doesn't sound like a good thing, but I really like to give every manufacturer a chance when they release what looks to be a new, innovative product (tends to be a little expensive on the wallet, but what hobby isn't!). I wish there were some other people providing input on this bird, and if there is anyone out there that can comment strickly on the preformance on this bird in their own opinion, I'd like to see what other people's experience has been.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:59 PM
gjsinke

I too wish there was additional input on the product. Again, too bad as it looks like a nice machine, yet there is reluctance to purchase by the masses. As I stated before, I'm new to heli's and have a shuttle to learn on. If I do fly the Quick, it may not be for awhile and AFTER I buy some replacement bearings. It does make sense to learn some 3D on this instead of crashing a new Fury or the like. However, I would be skeptical to post anything else re: the Quick in this forum. It is a shame but I have learned!

Jim
Old 07-12-2002, 12:15 PM
Mark Spies
My Feedback: (7)

Fellow flyer's: I have been doing business with HHI since 1991.At no time have I EVER had a problem with Irwin Siner,or any product he sold.I am not saying everyone is perfect just human,what would you do? I like the Quick 30/60 and would have no problem flying either one.They all work the same way,go up and down and sideways and back...... I wish i could have every helo out there.Keep it FUN! Thanks Mark Spies Horizon Helicopters
Old 07-13-2002, 10:41 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They say miracles do happen...

Steve
Old 02-26-2003, 07:27 AM
Dwayne B

I stumbled on to this thread at 12:00am when i typed in Quick, I was wanting to know about how many flight's the belt and clutch were good for on the Quick Pro 30. Im new to heli's and i still use the training pod.(360 rodopod) And it is fairly heavy. As i started reading i got to a point where i couldn't stop, now it is 2:00am (yes im a slow reader)not to mention this has strung over 5 pages.
I have about 1 and 1/2 gallons through my quick now, how long should these 2 components run before i change them. And please don't reply with hhi is junk and steve is worthless. I started with a hawk III and now have a hawk sport also, and all 3 perform great, (to my ability anyway) But i will be honest the quick is stronger, smoother and easier to hover out of all of them. If this is allready posted somewhere else just shoot my the post
Thanks
Dwayne
Old 03-19-2003, 05:20 AM
English Shaggy

Default Quick 60

First time on this RC Heli forum, i'm a big RC heli fan. Not for my particular heli skills (i still get disorientated with nose-in hover !), but seeing what other guys can do with a 15 pound piece of flying missile is something else.

I won't get involved in all the flame bait apparently rife in this thread, just want to tell you guys my experience with Quick and the distributor HHI.

I've flown (3 iterations) of the Kyosho Nexus 30 for the past 4 years. Great beginners heli, and relatively cheap. Decided to move up and take the hobby a bit more serious. I read a few articles and reviews (in Rotory Modeller) and as an engineer, decided on the Q60 Pro (Carbon). It cannot be doubted that the quality of an aluminium (english !) and carbon heli kit is a world away from a plastic airplane.

HHI, and in particular, Irwin, Jon and "ET" have been nothing but helpful in giving me advice and replacing a few supplied parts that i believed were not quite up to the job.

So you know, i'm a racecar engine guy and everything in my book, should be "fit for purpose". A few bits, like the landing gear dampeners, i didn't consider to be good enough for a quality model like this - mc master carr stocks an industrial version for a few dollars, so for the cost of a burger that little issue is resolved.....No big deal.

I've lashed out on a OS70-SZH engine, a Futaba 9ZWC2 transmitter, GV1 governer, 502 gyro and the best servo's i could get, and my opinion, for what it's worth, is that this should end up as a real top of the line model when it's finished (a few months away - the indycar season has started and will eat up my modelling weekends!).

For the nay-sayers, all i can say is have a look at the quality of one of these Quick 60 models at a flying field and make up your own mind. And as for the support, try e-mailing Kyosho and asking them why their Nexus 30 has 3 different length tail drive wires and will they replace the 2 incorrect length ones you just bought - i know the reply, i tried it !

Kev K
Old 03-19-2003, 11:43 PM
AdamB
My Feedback: (9)

Since there has been so much talk about replacing bearings, I just thought I'd like to add:

1) I bought a Quick .30 carbon pro (New)

2) I had a tail bearing come apart after a nasty crash. HHI replaced it for free. They also took apart the tail pitch slider and cleaned it... free.

I've always gotten good deals and always received good customer service. I ordered a new canopy, it arrived with a crack in the gel coat. I drove to Coopersburg, they replaced it free. Now I could have just dropped it, bent it or whatever to crack the gel coat. It didn't matter, they replaced it free.

Maybe it's just because I am a loyal customer, but I've always gotten treated right.

I've not had a problem with any of the Quick parts. In fact, I'm still on my first set of landing gear dampers, even after flying with training gear.

When I was first learning, they even offered to help me if I came to their flying field. I didn't take them up on the offer, since the dealer I bought the Quick at took her up for her first few flights to work the bugs out. Still, it was nice of them to offer.

BTW, I lover the way the Quick flies. I even have my first Canopy which is the one I normally use. A little bit of fiberglass repair and it is still together. I think the whole kit oozes quality.

I just today ordered some tail parts (I had a bent shaft), and I'm sure I'll receive it w/o problem.

There is a saying, you attract more flies with sugar than vinegar. Maybe, If I would have given attitude to HHI, they would have returned it. But I didn't, and they didn't.

Just my $.02
Old 03-22-2003, 04:56 AM
AdamB
My Feedback: (9)

Just thought I'd share. I ordered my tail parts on Tuesday night, and they were here when I got off work tonight (Friday). I only got charged $6 shipping and handling too.

Pretty good service if you ask me.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:38 AM
Gear3

Well,
I must say, I had'nt realized passions for this hobby ran so deep.....

Anyway, I would like to say hello to all the whirly bird and plank fliers and for that matter all R/C hobbyist that reside here.

A brief intro from me to you.............

I began (or should I say attempted) hovering/crashing heli's many years ago. As a total newbie to the R/C sport of flying and no experience with 2 stokes, I guess you could say my initial progress was very slow indeed.

I recently got back into the hobby after accidentally stumbling on a local flier here in LA. He flies a Raptor 30, and I got motivated to dust off and rebuild my crashed Concept 30...............I'm happy to say almost a year to date, I've rekindled my long lost love for the sport and now a proud owner of a scaler 'Funkey' 500 (with my old SRX mechs), a 6 month old 46VR and a month old Quick60 Pro.

I now consider myself to be a proficient scale flyer, and beginning my first steps into 3D

I came about the Quick while on a business trip in the far east. I had always deliberated upon a 60 size for many years, (especially during my initial frustrating attempts with the Concept 30)..........the larger size, more forgiving hovering characteristics were the reason.
Anyway, back to the Quick, I visited a local hobby store in Taiwan and spotted the Quick 60 in the window. This was probably the first time I had ever seen an all-metal bird close-up...needless to say I was awestruck. It turned out, the dealer had the one and only kit for sale at $450..............I had'nt done much research into the cost of 60 size heli's, but I knew the top of the line ....(by which I mean, the all bearing, metal/carbon equivalents in the US ran anything from $700 and up), I immediately realized this was a steal.
I asked the guy about the Quick, as I had never even heard of one, I was curious about its back ground. Did'nt get much help (language barrier) so I bought the kit blind. My only concern was the fact that this was the Japanese kit and hence came with some cheap looking (photo copied) construction manual

in Japanese ............:stupid:

Anyway, the packaging, apparent quality of engineering, price and the fact that I had a never-B4-used OS 61SXH collecting dust at home, all helped convince me to take the plunge......

Long story short, this kit was an absolute joy to build. Completed in 5 days (spent several hrs each night after work...could'nt wait to see it in its full glory)........the only place I could find help at the time was from HHI. I had initially browsed their web site and studied reviews and photos of the finished model. Everything appeared to be in check...but I still dont read Japanese so I was wary of getting started.
Eventually I called HHI, spoke with someone...(very polite), explained my situation, and this guy directed me to the down-loadable link on their site for the 60 manual...in full color and in English.....

As I said, the kit went together with no hick-ups what so ever. I had built and rebuilt the plastic fantastic Kyoshos for several years, getting into the all metal Zeal heads and such, therefore I could only marvel at the design, attention to detail and simplicity of this all-metal, all bearing 60 machine....That I purchased at a GREAT price.

On the field, the sound of the Thunder Tigre Carbon Graphite 680mm blades, coupled with the purr of an OS 61, the humm of a belt drive and the vibration-less rigidity of a well balanced, well thought out, 3mm metal frame design, made my first ever 60 size hover a walk in the park.....

I've stumbled on this Forum, and this thread as I have been trying hard to find other Quick60 flyers out there to discuss and share my experience of this wonderful machine. Investigate tips, and ideas, and generally share in the 'Quick' experience.

I'll say this, I have yet to come across a topic, thread, post or what ever where the HHI factor has not come into play during my research.

I have only recently begun posting on forums as, during this research I have stumbled across many other topics of interest (regarding RC Helis). This being one of my first in this forum.

I've read through other articles and threads elsewhere here and seen the positive and negatives...but it was this particular thread that has prompted me to reply........

Please forgive my naivety at this point........... My limited experience with HHI has been uneventful to say the least. However I would like to ask those here that have posted to think about their advise for a second. Until my purchase of the Quick60, I had no knowledge of the machine, brand or its after sales support......I realize that buying into a product with little or no knowledge comes with its risks, but then again our hobby IS inherently risky to say the least...

Having said that, put yourselves in a position such as mine...and for that matter, the Author of this thread ....for a brief moment. You are excited about your new toy, you happen to find this purchase extremely gratifying, so much so that you begin researching in-depth into its following, history..yadda yadda ya.

Then , you come across all the negativity associated with your most recent passion.

Like I said, forgive my naivety, and this is not an attempt to belittle all that has transpired, however I wander if any have considered the effects of all this in the long term. There ARE those amongst us that have yet to learn the HHI experience. I for one would rather believe my experience will be as rewarding as I am prepared to work through any difficulties that may arise.
I enjoy the experience of flying my Quick60, I happen to believe (obviously somewhat biased) that this is the best 60 I could have ever hoped for......I have resigned my self to the demoralizing prospect of having to read or hear about all the 'issues' related to the Quick, based on the unfortunate experiences of others. But lets remember something here. Each to their own, there are those that DO enjoy this fabulous machine for what it is.........an all metal 60 Radio Controlled Helicopter with great flying characteristics. The US distributor does not make the Quick60, even though there are those that believe mischief may be at hand, please try not to ruin the experience for those of us that choose to believe otherwise......

Sorry for the rather long winded post, but lets remember why we are here, and what brought us together.....

Happy Flying, and heres to some constructive criticism/praise in the future for the Quick machines