Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

HOVERING! I've lost all hope...CAN IT BE DONE, OR NOT?

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

HOVERING! I've lost all hope...CAN IT BE DONE, OR NOT?

Old 05-14-2007, 09:48 AM
chazdraves

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOVERING! I've lost all hope...CAN IT BE DONE, OR NOT?

Good luck, Dude! That should give you some feel for the sport - and the price is reasonable as well.

Regards,
- Chaz
Old 05-14-2007, 10:24 AM
123Splat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RC,

Great news! Glad you took the leap. You should have a great time with it, and I'll bet that within the year, you'll be looking to upgrade (that IS a good thing). By the way, Any deal you are happy with, is a good deal. Sounds like you did al right, unless shipping comes to $174..... Good flying and good luck.

Stinkbeetle,
Good on ya, mate! Hope to be hearing more about your exploits in the world of nitro. Don't see much for 3d either, my self, but I'm still trying to get my hover dorn to less than 5 meters.

Best to all, I'm off to practice dynamic roll-over. What fun, what fun...
Old 05-14-2007, 07:09 PM
02nelsc

best of luck
Old 06-09-2007, 04:07 PM
dude54325
Banned

I have a Blade CX2 and it the most stable helicopter i have ever owned! I would Recomend it!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 08:29 AM
mingieboy

RCAR, there's only two super nice helicopters that fly and hover right out of the box. One is the Megatech HouseFly, the other is its bigger cousin and more stable Megatech Horsefly:

1. Go here to see the specs: http://www.megatech.com/product_deta...ft.php?ID=9503 Horsefly

http://www.megatech.com/product_deta...ft.php?ID=9504 housefly

2. Go here to read the reviews: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=580 Horsefly

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=473 housefly

3. Call here to buy the Horsefly $30 cheaper to include shipping than any place else. Ask for Josh and request he work a deal with you. You should be able to get it shipped to
you for $220 or less from him.

4. Josh works for:

Hungates Creative Toys & Hobbies
102 Hungate Drive
Greenville, NC 27858 Order Toll Free
(800) 356-3289 or 1 252 756-9565
Old 01-07-2010, 08:54 PM
chuckthedriver

Hey dude, Did your simulator take AA batteries?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 PM
cjrflyer

Get one of these and have some fun
Old 01-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and cjrflyer

Do you guys realize you are replying to a 3 year-old post right?

chuckthedriver: the simulator requires a radio as an interface. If the radio you want to use requires batteries to work in trainer mode, then you will need batteries. Jut not necessarily AA batteries. The simulators that already come with a dummy radio in the software box, do not require batteries.

Rafael
Old 01-19-2010, 08:43 AM
huero123
Banned

HEY GUYZ HOW YOU DOIN I KNOW IM IN THE WRONG FORUM BUT JUST WANTED TO TELL U GUYZ IM ALWAYS CRASHIN MY MCX AND NEEDING MONEY FOR SPARE PARTS I FOUND A SITE THAT I DO OFFERS AT AND PLAY GAMES FOR SOME QUICK EASY CASH TO SPEND AT MY HOBBY SHOP....... A OFFER TAKES ABOUT 1 MIN SOMETIMES 2 MIN ....A OFFER IS WARE U TELL THE PEOPLE THAT SELL A PRODUCT IF ITS GOOD OR NOT IF YOU HAVE TRYD IT BUT JUST LETN U GUYZ IN ON SOME EASY MONEY FOR THOSE SPARE PARTS I HATE PAYN FOR THAT STUFF SINCE IM ALWAYS CRASHING LOL.......IM KINDA NEW TO FLYIN CANT WAIT TO GET THE BLADE MSR.....THANKS GUYZ TRY IT U HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE SIGHN UP .....CLICK ON THE BANNER.................GIVE ME AN EMAIL IF U HAVE ANY QUESTIONS [email protected]
Old 01-22-2010, 09:13 PM
alfredbmor

Rafael, I am setting up a 50 size heli and I am wondering which servos and electrical parts should I use, please give me a hint.

It is a CCPM controlled heli and I have this choice for elevator and ailerons servos:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&I=LM1525&P=K

For throttle I will use a standard non ball bearing servo (507 jr)

For rudder I will use the futaba 401 gyro and 9254 digital servo combo:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&I=LXFZP2&P=K

the receiver will be an eight channel hitec supreme.

Battery LiPo 7.4 1300 mah:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXLS1&P=0

The switch regulator will be the castle one here:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&I=LXSWL3&P=K

The heli is the new Century 50 nx and the engine is the OS 50 Hyper.

What components do you like and which of those aren't?

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:05 AM
chuckthedriver

Hi , I just TODAY hooked up my R/C simulator to my PC...and I cannot get the chopper to JUSTHOVER and keel over...any ideas...INEEDHELP....
Chuck in Beaconsfield, Quebec
Old 01-23-2010, 03:27 AM
wzak29
My Feedback: (1)

I started about 3 months ago by asking what to buy just like you today, I tolled everyone I did not want a toy and learn useless skills that will never help me fly a real heli. Several people said to buy a esky belt cp v2 it’s a real 450 size ready to fly out of the box heli, and it fit my budget, $175.00. My first three attempts ended with the heli never getting of the ground just tipping over and breaking stuff. DON’T DO THIS! I almost gave up on the hobby. So as recommended I bought a heli simulator (ClearView $40.00 free download and trial) spent many hours using that, the next time I went to fly I was able to hop up and down, each time keeping it in the air a little longer and a little higher, don’t forget the training gear. After a month I was able to hover and fly some loops around the park, I guess what I am trying to say you can learn to fly with a real heli if you follow to rules that I found helpful, get a simulator and put a lot of hours on it before you ever try to fly, second is go SLOW, VERY SLOW can‘t tell how many people in the park asked me if they could see it fly? Had to say no and just kept hoping it up a down a few inches, while people looked at me like I was idiot, did not care I knew if I rushed I would crash. About nitro, I have been a nitro airplane pilot since I was 10 years old with .049, I am now 53 and I still build and fly them, nitro engines are NOT for a new person, the engines require a learned skill to get them working properly, just another headache to add to you learning to fly.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:31 PM
chuckthedriver

Hi Guy,, I really appreciate your reply....As I am still working 5 days a week...and the days that I do get off..My lovely and charming m wants to go somewhere and or clean the house , dust , vacume...She is an angel,,can't say no,,,,back the the simulator..is a E-sky by 'Esky Hobby' - a 4 chanel simulator FMS...I paid less than $20.00 plus shipping (I live in Montreal) total came to almost $40.00.
I have to push myself to sit and Practice...my "Cobra" model R/C Copper,,more to come...
Thanks for responding..maybe we will meet one day with our Equipment (toys by others)...

Chuck Rosenthall
email - [email protected]

And I'm only 65.

Cyaaaaaaaaa
Old 01-23-2010, 07:57 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't read all the posts so here is my take on learning to fly RC helicopters. First off, when I learned to fly there was no such thing as a gyro so I will relay my experience of learning from that point of view. And, I may be old school but I still think that the gyro should be turned off for the first bit. I'll explain. Also, I'm assuming that you want to learn to fly a 30 or larger nitro or electric heli.

First of all, set-up is very important. Find somebody who can help with setup and understands that YOU are a beginner. I had neither when I learned. Once you have the bird set up, make sure you have a suitable training gear installed. Get the heli light on the skids but still on the ground (with the gyro turned off) and learn to control the tail. Make sure that you "fly the nose" and not the tail. By this I mean that you should concentrate on the nose of the heli as to which direction you want to yaw, right stick moves the nose right. As you learn to control the yaw make sure that you spend equal time looking at both sides of the heli so as not to become handed. To this day have a hard time looking at the right side of my bird becaues nobody told me about this handed buisness. If you get in trouble and the nose gets away from you SLOWLY close the throttle until the heli has stopped doing what it was doing. By slowly closing the thtottle I mean do not just slam the stick back to idle. This practice will come to bite you in the back side later so DONOT get in the habit now. If you never leave the ground you have all the time in the world to SLOWLY close the throttle.

Now that you have mastered the yaw control you can turn on the gyro and start jumping in to the air. Start as before by getting light on the skids. Now add just a tiny bit more power until you lift into the air. If you get in trouble, just slowly close the throttle, land and start again. You might want to try just closing the throttle immideatly after you leave the ground even though you arn't in trouble the first few times so that you get the feel of being airborn. Your choice here. You will make about six milloin of these tiny hops. Each hop will be a bit higher and longer than the previous hop. Soon, you will be two or three feet in the air and sooner or later you will have a bad moment and will have to SLOWLY close the throttle to land. Chopping the throttle three feet in the air is not the best thing to do. Here is where setup by somebody who understand beginners will help a lot and practicing to close the throttle slowly will pay off. Oh, make sure to keep looking at both sides of the bird to avoid at all costs becoming handed.

Some will progress very quickly to hovering and some will take a bit more time.. Once you have learned it you will not forget. You may get a bit "rusty", but you will never forget. Just keep after it, and soon you will be helping that beginner like you were a short time ago.

A note on practice. At first keep your practice sessins short. No more that ten minutes at a time. Wait for twenty or thirty minutes and then another ten minute session. A couple of sessions a day is enough at first. It takes a lot of brain power as a beginner and you will become tired before you know it and will stop learning. So stop while ahead and save your bird for another day. Once you progress to the forward flight stage you can lenthen your time in the air as you have leaned the hardest thing to do with a R/C heli.... HOVERING

Forward flight is a whole new ball game left for another discussion. Feel free to comment, I just might learn something, as I'm still a begeinner.........

Ken

edit; I'm going to copy and past this in the beginners forum where it really belongs.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:24 AM
RPM1
My Feedback: (2)

Well since the shovel was broken out to dig this thread up I think it would be nice if RCar let us know how things worked out.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: alfredbmor

Rafael, I am setting up a 50 size heli and I am wondering which servos and electrical parts should I use, please give me a hint.

It is a CCPM controlled heli and I have this choice for elevator and ailerons servos:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&I=LM1525&P=K

For throttle I will use a standard non ball bearing servo (507 jr)

For rudder I will use the futaba 401 gyro and 9254 digital servo combo:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&I=LXFZP2&P=K

the receiver will be an eight channel hitec supreme.

Battery LiPo 7.4 1300 mah:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXLS1&P=0

The switch regulator will be the castle one here:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&I=LXSWL3&P=K

The heli is the new Century 50 nx and the engine is the OS 50 Hyper.

What components do you like and which of those aren't?

Thanks.
I guess it depends on what you want to do, either 3D or scale flight. Either way those servos are probably overkill for a 50.

For a 50 size heli either scale or 3D flight I would go for servos with a torque number between 80 and 100 in-oz. If you want 3D look for the upper end of the spectrum (closer to 100) or scale, then closer to 80.

If you are going for 3D, then I would look for faster servos. Closer to 0.10 sec for scale flight, closer to 0.20 is ok.

The rest of the equipment seems to be ok. Although I don't remember anybody using that type of BEC as a regulator. Why don't you get a regulator like an Arizona or something similar?

[link]http://www.fromeco.org/Products/02FRARIZ-200/Default.aspx[/link]

Rafael
Old 01-24-2010, 11:31 PM
alfredbmor

No I am not into 3D I can hoover and make some nice 8 turns I mean I am still on the learning curve, then which could be a good inexpensive choice for cyclic servos?

Thanks for the link relating the Arizona regulator, I think it is a great choice.

Best Regards
Old 02-09-2010, 10:00 AM
miker1963

[quote]ORIGINAL: btamxx

I too concur. I purchased a good sim and already know that I have saved the cost in parts that it took to buy the sim. The sim has paid for itself many times over. BIGMIG, it is much better to keep your mouth shut and learn rather than to open it and prove yourself to be a fool. Sorry, just the truth.

BIGMIG offers a beginners perspective on the subject and you attack him. Perhaps your egos have grown to the point that they have squashed your beginners memories. I certainly wouldn't be looking forward to any fellowship from this hobby if attitudes like yours are what I can expect. I also am a beginner - so go ahead and let me have it. I started on a cheap coax machine and it was enough to get me oriented with controls, and I enjoyed it enough to learn that I wish to pursue this hobby further. My son is now learning the coax and we are having a lot of fun together. When I ask advice, I prefer advice from all perspectives- beginner to expert. I also prefer to receive advice unaccompanied by a "my poop don't stink" attitude. You guys can't simply answer the questions without tearing anyone down. Tearing some down to make yourselves look good does not say much about your self confidence. Why would I listen to advice from such a person?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 AM
miker1963

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

Wow,I didn't think giving a personel opinion on my own experience trying to fly a helicopter would bring out such hard feelings toward a new flyer.I was taught a little more respect when I grew up.I can also read and understand what I read.
Some thing that BTAMXX and RAFAEL23CC may want to pratice up on.I'm sorry to the rest of the guys here on this forum all this took place.It will end here.I will stay clear of this forum. Thanks to all the others,and keep flying. BIGMIG
I rest my case!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:24 PM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a co-axiel and i think it's fun, 100 bucks and i was hovering in my living room, i thought about getting one of the "real" heli's with a tail rotor and all that but the guy at the hobby shop said they are hard to learn and i was looking for easy, i have co-axial, i think it's fun, only been about a 4 days so far but it takes a beating and was pretty cheap
Old 02-18-2010, 08:26 AM
neilg.

this is how i felt when i bought my first heli. it was a cx2. i did everything on my own. the hobby shop was to make money not to support me. then i went through a few others. then the b400(you can fly it out of the box ). built a hdx450 at the end of last year, parted out my blade400. i wanted something for inside so i bought a 4g6 Walkera - big mistake.

boughtthe MSRby eflite. i put some training gear on itfor a week, having fun with it, training gear gone. right now it is low maintenance. some people are having problems with it, but you never know if it is the product or the person.

and from what i see in other forums, never, ever ask this:
"what heli should i buy?" it will cause more flaming than an F-16

also a flight simulator will help you out. phoenix has a good one and it comes with a transmitter siimilar to one you will eventually need if you progress.

you must have a working relationship with an r/c shop if you own r/c cars so they won't fill your head about how easy this sport is.

on a scale of 1 - 10 i am a 4. but having fun anyways.