Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

my girlfriend got me an Evo 50!

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

my girlfriend got me an Evo 50!

Old 07-26-2007, 06:08 PM
joizeex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my girlfriend got me an Evo 50!

hahaha, don't give her any ideas.... [sm=bananahead.gif] at suzz.

thanks for the encouragement; i'm over it, but my wallet is still crying hehe. it was just a bad week for me as my real car got some scrapes too (from a metal automated gate) and that's gonna cost over $800 to fix. so compared to that, heli repair is cheap. i found the clutch part number and going to order all the shiziet. this time i'm going with red/white/blue Mavrikk patriot blades... on a Japanese heli just for sheets and giggles. America, F yea!

curious - how does boom strike happen? is it because the blade flexes all the way down to hit it, or because the blade rotates back on the blade grip like for storage and then tilts down to smack the crap out of the tail boom?
Old 07-28-2007, 12:19 AM
joizeex

well i have some good news!
today i went to the woods where my heli crashed and looked around for a while. i ended up finding the main co-pilot sensor under some leaves! very lucky that i won't have to spend $45 on a new one. it still works perfectly, although it got grazed by the blade. i'm certain that the other, vertical sensor, is within a 3'x3' area where i found this sensor alpng with a couple of things. anyone in the area with a metal detector? lol
Old 07-28-2007, 01:11 AM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm feeling your pain these days joizeex! I crashed my Raptor 50 the other day while doing autos from high altitudes. I actually landed pretty well, but a little hop was all it took to cause a boom strike and it did a twirly-bird on the ground, causing some expensive damage.

Oh well, I hadn't had any problems for a long time, so it was bound to happen. It gave me an excuse to buy some better blades. Those wood ones are in my past now...

How goes the repair?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:27 PM
joizeex

wow that sounds pretty bad. sorry to hear. so you were flying with woodies so far? how did they fair for regular hovering and forward flight on a 50 class? maybe i'll get some too like i intended before, since the carbons that helihobby used to sell for $35 went up to $55 [sm=rolleyes.gif]
i ordered everything from heliproz for about $150 including blades. forgot to order the clutch though! i sent them an email, so hopefully they'll add it to my order before it's shipped. should get it next monday (August). i managed to straighten the flybar out , so it looks good (crash kit comes with one anyway), same with tail support tubes. also, when the servo wheel broke, it cut the gyro wire that goes to the servo, so i need to solder that and drill a new servo wheel.
in the mean time i'll practice more orientation stuff on the G3 once i install it on gf's laptop.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Patto

Advantage Hobby is a good place to buy parts for the Raptors, but I don't think they carry Hirobo parts, which is too bad since shipping is always free...

The wood blades are just fine for hovering and forward/fast-forward flight. Basic aerobatics such as loops, rolls, flips, etc. are just fine as well. The problem with them is that they flex a lot during extreme 3D maneuvers.

If you're just working on hovering and basic maneuvers, the wood ones are affordable and readily available. You won't need the carbons, (or fiberglass like I bought from Gohbee) nor would you notice any difference by using the carbons, (except on your wallet).
Old 07-30-2007, 01:05 PM
joizeex

that's what i figured. actually, i'm glad i didn't use the MAHs that came with the heli, and bought cheap $35 carbons the first time, because right now i would've had nice $70 MAHs split in half.

i was able to contact heliproz just before the order got shipped and added the clutch liner (phew) and also added Mavrikk 600mm woodies. i'm guessing that when i epoxy the plastic root unto the blade i just glue it to the blade covering right? no prep other than wiping it with alcohol?

i can't wait to get all this stuff and have it up in the air again. yesterday i was assisting my friend with his hawk pro and the head bolts on the Toki .46 came loose! good thing he never got it in the air before that, because engine lost compression and wouldn't start again. that Toki has been a pain in the butt for him. i love how my OS fired up on the very first start and fires every time.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:25 PM
Patto

Regarding the wood blades, a few tips for you: Use thin CA in the holes to strengthen them. Then, you have to trace around the covering on the wood blades where the plastic grips go. Then, cut out the covering in that area, sand the inside of the plastic grips for better adhesion, then put some 30 minute epoxy on the inside of the grips and clamp them onto the blade nice and tight. If you don't clamp them, they won't be narrow enough, so be sure to do that.

Those are the steps I follow for the Thunder Tiger wood blades, and I think the Maveriks are the same.

Good luck...
Old 08-08-2007, 05:18 PM
joizeex

got my parts yesterday and started putting everything back together . i'm mostly done, just need to epoxy the clutch lining overnight and tighten some things up, then stuff the engine in there and solder the cut gyro wires.
the mavrikk patriot 600mm look pretty sweet, but i won't use them for a while. the mavrikk 600mm woodies are not bad either and the plastic grips come screwed unto the blade already, so there's nothing else i need to do except reinforcing the holes.
i also got some dowels from home depot to rebuild the training gear. i should've made my own to begin with - $17 for wooden training gear from helihobby is kinda lame
i'm also going to get some clamps to hold the co-pilot sensor much tighter to the boom, so that it doesn't go for excursions into the woods after being torn off by the blades again.
i can't wait to get this thing flying again, but... i'm leaving for Japan again this friday, for 1 week. i won't be going to any hobby stores though, as i won't have time. wish i could take the heli there with me and fly with Japanese Hirobo pilots [&o]
Old 06-23-2008, 05:14 PM
joizeex

well last season i had a rough landing from confusion of orientation (was too far) on the first tank after i just put it back together! so the usual damage after a boom strike had to be dealt with. i didn't fly after that.

i wanted to get the co-pilot to stop shaking the heli, so i did some sensor testing and recalibration using FMA's PC software at home. i took the heli out last weekend and flew another 2.5 tanks, finishing my first gallon of 20% powermaster! co-pilot was still iffy. then flew another 2 tanks this weekend on 15% S&W fuel and finally sorted out the co-pilot. so now it works just fine, but i still leave it off to use for emergency only.

now i have another problem. after the last crash the heli throws fuel all over itself like a toddler who hasn't been potty trained! this is not exhaust stuff, because it's not brown, but nice pink color like what's in the tank. the exhaust/engine contact is tight and dry.

i've read several threads about this and some suggest it's the front bearing in the OS, but the wettest areas are not on the engine front. instead, the head, glow plug extension, backplate, sides, tank itself, inner frame surface and lower frame, skid mounts, are all dripping pink! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?? i thought maybe it's the tank plug, so i tightened the nut, still wet alll over...and how would it get to the glow plug from the tank anyway...

i read that maybe now that engine is fully broken in, it produces more power, so the pipe sends lots of pressure into the tank which results in too much fuel going to the carb and spitting extra out of the intake? that would explain how it gets all over the head, since the latter is the wettest of all. i also think it might leak through some of the rubber tubing-to-nipple connections. i put zip ties on some. i can try replacing tubing. it doesn't look worn out though. what inner diameter tubing to use?
can i just lean out the high speed needle? right now it's at 1.25 turns out (1.5 out factory) and low speed is turned 45 degrees CW from middle. i still get tons of smoke with this and decent throttle response. can i go leaner? the engine runs great except for the fuel spraying.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Patto

It certainly could be a bearing issue or a carb issue. If the bearing is damaged, it could leak, although it sounds like you've ruled that out. I'm wondering if your cylinder head is maybe not on tight, or perhaps the backplate. Also, the spray bar inside the carb may have become misaligned and is pointing out instead of in. Do you have a fuel filter? If so, make sure it is not leaking. And, probably the first thing to do, replace all the fuel tubing.

Just because the engine is producing more power doesn't mean it's going to spit fuel out the carb. As it breaks in, it should develop more power, and it may supply slightly more tank pressure from the exhaust tap, but not enough to make it spray like you're describing. Also, by leaning the needle slightly, that would compensate for an increase in fuel pressure.

I'd check for leaks in the fuel line and engine. Tighten all the screws on the engine and see if that makes a difference. Make sure you don't have pieces of any of the gaskets hanging out.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:20 AM
joizeex

thanks for all the pointers.

i had some time to clean it out yesterday and noticed TONS of fuel/dirt on the fan air-flow deflection shroud right across the carb opening. so this is consistent with seeing the fuel mostly on the head. i'll have to take the carb apart and see if everything is flush and tight. i did have to take it apart from my first crash because a microscopic piece of fiber got stuck on the barrel and made it sieze up which made the throttle servo snap the throttle horn (i'm surprised the 3151 was that strong). i'm pretty certain i put everything together the way it was because the engine runs without a hitch, but i'll look at it again.

i had the backplate tightened when i first saw all that fuel on it, i'll need to check the head too though. the fuel filter looks good, it's very clean, as all the lines are. overall everything else looks clean and tight although i still don't like the fuel near the tank plug. i'll have to test the tank in water.

if i did misalign the spray bar when i had it apart, that would explain everything. i'm guessing there's more than one way to install it? i'll take it apart tonight.

does heli tubing for a 50 class need to be some specific size? i have some OFNA blue tubing for my cars, i wonder if that'll be ok?

what's a typical 50 Ringed OS high and low needle setting for 85-90F and avg 60% humidity? it's getting plenty of lube, and 15-17min air time with hover/moving around.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Patto

The fuel tubing should be the standard medium size silicone that's included with most kits. The problem is that heli manufacturers always include this thin, flimsy tubing that doesn't last when exposed to 30% nitro.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:14 PM
joizeex

so i checked all the bolts and even tightened head bolts about 2 degrees each. opened up the carb and everything was ok. put everything back like in the manual, there wasn't really any way to misalign the parts, as they just wouldn't fit back in. i left the same tubing on as it seemed ok.

today i flew 1 tank and again fuel was all over the head and some on engine sides, but most of it was on the head and fan shroud across from carb opening. engine temperature after 17 mins of hover was only 150-160F as measured pointing at the heatsink top, so it's still gotta be waaaayy rich, no? the engine should be ok up to 210F, right? the main needle is about 1+1/8 turns out. i guess i should take it down to 1 turn out? it was about 70% humidity.

i didn't get to fly more than that since i was helping my friend troubleshoot and trim his heli.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 AM
LaCerne
My Feedback: (16)

Check your glow plug. They can develop leaks around the top, but I wouldn't think it would put out that much raw fuel. Could be worth a try though.

Larsen
Old 07-04-2008, 03:37 AM
joizeex

glow plug seemed ok. i leaned out another 2 clicks and flew 2 tanks. so now it's almost exactly 1 turn out on the main and 45-50* to the right on mixture screw. there's definitely less fuel all around than when i originally posted the question. it's not completely cleaned up though.

i'll be checking other things in the next few flights to see how it starts in other places not near the carb. but main fuel needle is definitely what's controlling it. stock fuel tubing has held up well so far, especially the clunk line, since i had fuel sitting in the tank for 9 months from last season.

i think my belt stretched a bit. how much should it deflect near the pulley in the frame? mine deflects just a tiny bit over 1/4 inch. i tried to make it skip teeth by pressuring the pulleys in opposite directions, but it didn't skip at all.

besides that, it's been going well. i'm doing side-in hover and a tad bit of nose in and just moving it around all over the place. i also tried a bit of not-so-Fast Forward Flight with turns. i get scared when starting to turn into a nose-in condition, but i'm trying to get the hang of it. also the co-pilot is great to have on when trying these things.

it's interesting how a heli compares to a plane when learning to fly. heli needs input and attention to hold it in place (on a windy day), but in a way, it also allows you to kinda relax while you hold it in one place. a plane doesn't need constant adjustment to keep it balanced, but then you can't just let it fly indefinitely while you stop to scratch your nose, you have to make it turn before it gets too far and bring it around. i'd like to experience that type of flying at one point too.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:49 AM
lzstar
Banned

i have many carbon fiber blades and fiberglass blades,because we are an experienced manufacturer of rc blades.

star
www.lz-star.com
Old 07-19-2008, 09:44 AM
suzz

P-61 Black Widow here we come![sm=wink_smile.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 07-19-2008, 12:25 PM
joizeex

ORIGINAL: suzz

P-61 Black Widow here we come![sm=wink_smile.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=lol.gif]
nooo...no, no more big expensive RC's for us, especially when i can't even fly a plane! lol ok well, more like, can't even land a plane very well on a sim just call me Launchpad McQuack. "any landing you can walk away from"

so can anyone tell me about my belt tensioning?