Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Hurricane 550...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:47 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hurricane 550...

Well, made some progress with my parts! Lucy from Espirit mailed me today, turns out my package was returned to them. Something got mixed up somewhere, either I made a typo in the address or they did. She's going to re-send it out today. Hopefully they get here this time!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Cleared2Engage

That's a bummer it's been taking so long, glad to see they got it figured out. BTW, take a look at your one way bearing for me. I had mine crap out (I think) after 20 or so flights. I went to go fly it this morning and the one way bearing wouldn't grab at all. Then I tried it again in the afternoon and it seems to work fine. Could be the shrinking at cooling of the temp changes, but my rex never did that.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:34 PM
credence

Finally! My parts have arrived! The quality and finish of the Gaui machined parts are fantastic. As good as Aligns .

I also picked up some NHP Razors for my t-rex yesterday. Gonna try them out today. With any luck I might even get to fly the hurricane today .
Old 08-30-2007, 02:42 PM
credence

Damn, just one set back after another!

After finally getting it all ready to go, I took it out to the garage today for the first spool up. Got it up to half throttle, at which point the head was whirring incredibly quietly and smoothly (must've got the tracking spot on, though i've yet to check it). Started to apply pitch to enter a hover and...nothing. I hear my power beginning to wane and the chopper begins to settle back down. Crap.

Took out my wattmeter, hooked it up, and lo' and behold, at a meager 16 amps peak draw, my batteries voltage dropped to 17 volts. I knew these were really old batteries, but I wasn't expecting this! I hadn't used these packs since I had them in my X-400 over a year ago. They just aren't holding voltage anymore under load. Oh well .

The good news is, the Li-MNC samples should probably be here tommorow. The EP550 gets to be the test rig for this new chemistry .
Old 09-13-2007, 04:07 PM
credence

For anyone who might still be following this thread and my relative sequence of disasters trying to get this thing to fly, i'm happy to say i'm finally flying it and i'm very happy with it.

The helicopter is very very smooth in flight and surprisingly quiet. The new Li-MNC packs seem to be doing decently well considering their 12C rating. Last time I measured I peaked about 35A in a mild pitch pump while test hovering.
I'm actually a bit surprised with the models power. It climbs out incredibly quick, much quicker than my t-rex 600 does. The nimbleness reminds me of my X-400, but with the stability of my t-rex 600. It really is a very nice mix. I really like the model and suspect it will get more flight time than my rex 600 simply because it's easier to transport and operate and flies nearly as good.

We'll see how the motor does once I take it up and load the head up a bit more with some mild aerobatics. So far though, I would not hesitate to suggest this model to anyone looking for a comfortably sized model that won't break the bank. Good quality parts, good manufacturer support and cheap to operate. Can't beat that!
Old 09-16-2007, 05:49 PM
mknope019

Hopefully someone here can help me out. I find myself being in sort of a bind. Im looking into getting my second helicopter (first being a blade cp). I currently have the new E-flite Blade 400 on pre-order. I was excited to see that E-flite came out with something like that cause I like the design and it comes with everything I would need to get. And its also bigger. So all was well until I stumbled on the Hurricane 550 threads. I read and read and learned much about it and man does it look like a good helicopter. Ive wanted a bigger helicopter but the high costs has kept me away. But I can handle the price of a Hurricane. Im just wondering if its worth it to cancel my blade 400 pre-order and get the Hurricane 550. If I was to get the Hurricane 550 I would get the RTF kit that includes everything. You can find the RTF kit here [link=http://www.backman-rc-expert.com/inc/sdetail/2161]http://www.backman-rc-expert.com/inc/sdetail/2161[/link] I know that RTF kit probably doesnt come with the best of hardware and electronic but in camparison to the Blade 400 RTF kit is it worth it? If anybody can provide me with any help it would be much appreciated.