Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Flying in non RC-Designated areas?

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Flying in non RC-Designated areas?

Old 03-31-2003, 07:21 PM
Pyrro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying in non RC-Designated areas?

Is it legal to fly RC Helis in non-RC designated area? In other words, if I fly a gas heli in a public park do I have to worry about legalities? Are there any regulations governing where I can fly a gas RC heli? If so, do the regulations differ for electric micro helis?
Old 03-31-2003, 07:33 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you hit something, you will have to worry about legalities. Other than that, fly where you want. Just be safe and if there are people around, make sure you have a spotter. Don't fly where there is a danger of hitting someone or something.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:33 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Their are non that I know of, I fly at parks, schools etc. The police come a sit and watch. Been doing that for 10 years.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:44 PM
Pyrro

Thanks for the info.

Is membership in AMA necessary or just a good idea? It doesn't seem to cost too much...something like $60 or so.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:12 AM
helihawks

Default Pyyro

If you have the AMA certification, you will be violating
one of the insurer's "rule's" if you fly in a public park.
The reason: You most likely do not have a paper, a
signed copy of the landowner granting you permission
to fly on that parcel of land.

God bless you if you can get the CITY to grant you
a signed document!

In a lot of places in the USA, there are ordinances
against RCing in a public park. Most often the local
police are not in awareness of those types of ordinances.

I fly "park with heli" and many times the Police come by
and watch. (This only occasionally in the OFF season's
when it's too cold for anyone to play ball in the park!)

The AMA won't even cover you in the event of a claim
if you violate one or more of their rules. For example,
You fly your heli and you have not taken the time to
write your name and AMA number on the machine.
Put a fork in ya in the event of a claim....you're done.

You know how insurance companies operate.

The reality behind the AMA is this: You obey ALL the rules,
you fly in a designated skypark with permission. Perchance
at 500 feet AGL, your heli tosses a ball link on the Bell-Hiller
mixer and gravity head's the heli into the crowd of onlookers and hit a human being. Something completely (Maybe!) beyond
your 'control'....
Your home owner's insurance would take first place until
they're done, then the AMA would step in. Perhaps the person
hit by the revolving rotor blades was seriously injured, and was
unable to continue his or her employment. Can you imagine
the costs alone that would incur in such an incident?

I haven't addressed the enormous cost to the heli hobby
as it hit the news all over the land right now.
Spooked city council members could ban them altogether.
It might spead as a virus city to city.

One dramatic incident in these days in which we live could
cause a catastrophy to hobbiest's everywhere.

Now, I will admit, these are surely worst case scenarios
and the 'odd's" are against it from occurance.

The bottom line is this: You ARE in CONTROL of the flight
of the quite dangerous model helicopter. Just like the
modern popularity of the "morning-after" pill, the correct
decision in ADVANCE is not to perform the horizontal hula
in the first place. (Without it, one has NO NEED of the M. A. Pill!)

You're in 'control' as such when you 'decide' to fly at
a designated Radio control flight operational facility! Truly.

If you obey the rules the AMA has set forth for EVERYONE'S
safety, you most likely will not find yourself in an extreme
position emotionally or financially.

When you get really Good and are in total operational
'control' on the machine (HACC) take a friend with you
and perhaps only then consider a public place to fly.
The friend can prevent a kid or even an adult from entering
your 'flight-danger' zone, watch your backside and indeed
spot for you.

Find the off seasons, Watch out for dog-walkers and kids!
(It is amazing to me how they surround one as the heli
leaps off the ground! Full of questions and suggestions
for you.) And as you may already know, it takes the proper
concentration to 'fly' one of these incredible machines!

The plankers (of which I am one) always come over and
try to talk to me whilst my machine is airborne! Even that
can disturb one's concentration! Can you dig it, I knew
that you could...................... Peace

Rock on, do as you must...

Heliby

Old 04-01-2003, 03:18 PM
Pyrro

Wow, thanks for all the information. The main reason I was asking was because I was trying to decide between a micro electric heli in which case I can fly almost anywhere there is no wind OR a gas heli such as a Raptor 30. I have a park near my home that is not frequently used during the weekend. It is not a baseball park nor a doggy park with paths...just a larg patch of grass with a playground in the far corner. In any case, thanks for the information. For now it's just RF G2 in the confort of my house until learn the basics and decide what to get.

Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:09 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't waste your money on a micro electric. If you want to fly helis, get a raptor or something that works. Everyone I know that has gotten an electric hated it and sold it very shortly after.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:04 PM
Lift
My Feedback: (1)

Pyrro,
The only place were there is "no wind" is indoors. Let me ask you this:

How much do you think you will actually learn flying indoors? To hover? Yeah, but that is about it......

Micro helis are a novelty and are generally for indoors entertainment. Do what Flyboy has said and get yourself a glow heli. If cost is a consideration then look at Century's Hawk Sport.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:13 PM
Pyrro

Thanks for the input. Now I'm trying to decide between a Raptor 30,50, 0r 60.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:25 AM
Richie

Default Airport nearby?...

I am a student pilot(helicopters) and the F.A.A. prohibits flying model aircraft near airports. This might sound like common sense, but check with any airports nearby to find out what class airspace-rules apply to the field you want to fly at. Sometimes the airspace can reach out for miles where you couldn't fly your model above a certain number of feet if at all. By the way I am going for the raptor 50 v2 soon for my third heli. Good luck and have fun.
Richie
Old 04-03-2003, 03:41 PM
Pyrro

I will probably go with a Raptor 50 for my first heli. I will get a Futaba 9CHP first so I can practice on G2 with it for a while before I get the heli, gyro, FMA Co-Pilot, and the rest of the electronic and support items.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:51 PM
Lift

Pyrro,
Do yourself a favor and learn to FLY the helicopter instead of relying on an "co-pilot". Your sim will make that co-pilot worthless in no time.

IOW, don't waste the $$$ on a co-pilot. Just spend that $$$ on a couple of cases of fuel.

BTW, why the Raptor? Have you looked at the other 50 options?
Old 04-03-2003, 05:46 PM
Furyflyer2

Default Re: Airport nearby?...

Originally posted by Richie
I am a student pilot(helicopters) and the F.A.A. prohibits flying model aircraft near airports. This might sound like common sense, but check with any airports nearby to find out what class airspace-rules apply to the field you want to fly at. Sometimes the airspace can reach out for miles where you couldn't fly your model above a certain number of feet if at all. By the way I am going for the raptor 50 v2 soon for my third heli. Good luck and have fun.
Richie
I happen to at a airport with one active runway and one ultralight runway, and have permission to do so. But much care and common sense is used when I fly there.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:47 PM
Furyflyer2

Originally posted by Lift
Pyrro,
Do yourself a favor and learn to FLY the helicopter instead of relying on an "co-pilot". Your sim will make that co-pilot worthless in no time.

IOW, don't waste the $$$ on a co-pilot. Just spend that $$$ on a couple of cases of fuel.

BTW, why the Raptor? Have you looked at the other 50 options?

I totally agree, the use of such devices can hinder real progress. Stick with a sim and lots of fuel.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:05 PM
Pyrro

I agree with the Co-Pilot idea. In fact, I enjoy hovering on the sim especially since it's all I know how to do. It's pretty pricey so I wont be getting one until way down the line as a convenience. I appreciate all your input. As far as other 50 choices, I'm all ears.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:33 PM
Lift

Pyrro,
The standard response these day is "get a Raptor". All the beginners usually hear that most frequently because the little Rappy really made a name for itself back in 1999 & 2000 when it came out. At the time it's competition(Shuttle, Concept, etc.) were all still fairly pricey. So, along comes this plastic "disposable" heli and many were skeptical. But, when people got a chance to fly them and a bunch of good reports starting showing up online the game was on.

But, the Raptor v1 was a very problematic machine. They came with a horrible engine(TT.36), consistent clutch failures, blade flutter, auto-rotation unit chatter, frames breaking easily, etc. We the heli community went thru this for 3 yrs before TT FINALLY released the V2. From what we have been able to see so far, this release with it's 17 design changes seems to be doing much better. But, we will see. So far, it's not a bad choice but you have to make sure you have a parts supply available. Shouldn't be a problem since your in Cali and HeliWorld.com and Ace Distributing is out there.

Now, let me say this. All helis have their own little gremlins. One may have a fantastic tail rotor system but experience occasional blade flutter. Or, the next one may have alot of slop in the rotorhead and overheat. Basically when you sellect a heli you are marrying yourself to that brand and set of problems. So, when selecting a brand do yourself a favor seek out these problems instead of what people say is good about them. Because for the most part there are no BAD helis. Just good and better. You can do a search here and on runryder to find out what's up. It's always the same issue that comes up over and over for that brand.

So, before you just accept the "get a Raptor" line I suggest you research what pilots are experienceing with their given heli. There are actually helis that fly as good and better than the Raptor depending on what you want to spend. Some of these are cheaper to repair, have lower parts failure incidences, and are equally priced.

You can see some of my helis by clicking the " WWW" link below and by visiting my RCU gallery as well as my runryder gallery.

Currently I am flying a Century Raven 50 CCPM. I prefer the Century Raven for 3D and the Falcon SE V2 for sport/fai/scale use. Not saying the Falcon won't 3D it up at all....but, it doesn't have some of the design characteristics to make it ideal for the hardcore 3D stuff. Century's in Milpitas, CA so you would be dealing locally.

I have owned:
Raptor 30
Raptor 50
Raptor 60
Sceadu 30
Sceadu 50
JR Venture 30
Century Falcon 50 SE V2
Century Raven 50 CCPM
X-Cell Fury Expert(2)
JR VigorCS
Old 04-03-2003, 10:49 PM
stevenyc1

I can tell you for sure- that NYC doesn't even allow a Frisbee to be tossed without a permit. I know it's silly and I hate all the legalities this country has made institutions feel they need. Not even a baseball is allowed to be thrown in a NYC park without the proper permits.

Get this- I was asked to leave a park once because I had a tripod and camera and this is in violation of NYC parks dept regulations (few weeks back this occurred)...I made a big stink about this to the NYC parks dept because i was videotaping red-tail hawks to be showcased by the NYC Parks Dept!!!!!
They eventually phoned me and gave me full access to the local park with videotaping privilege's. (see my website for these NYC hawks- stevenunez.com)

So is flying a r/c heli legal in a NYC park- NO! Do I go to fly at my local park- YES! Until they throw me out.

Other countries aren't so litigious and therefore produce motorcycle champions (as youths they ride minibikes in parks, lots etc..) and this good ole' USA and unscrupulous people have made a mockery of the lawsuit business. You can basically do nothing here without a permit- and NYC is the worst!