Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

picking a TX has become mind boggling !!

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

picking a TX has become mind boggling !!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:19 PM
KCinNC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picking a TX has become mind boggling !!

i'm wanting to upgrade my stock radios..(2) HoneyBee King 2's to a computer radio...but all the choices have wore out my brain.

i just want something good but not overkill....

DX7-probably top of the class..do i really need all it has
DX6-will it be outdated after a while
Dx6i- no really good evaluation..as it's not out yet
Futaba 6EX...sounds decent

any feedback is greatly helpful...good or bad

thanks KC
Old 12-15-2007, 09:33 PM
tippy

Default RE: picking a TX has become mind boggling !!

KCinNC:: ... Futaba 6EX...sounds decent ...
Which 6EX?

6EXA ... flys airplanes only
6EXH ... flys helis only
6EX 2.4GHz ... flys both

The 7Cs and 9Cs are good options too.

I don't need all that my 9C has to offer ... today ... but what about next year or the year after??
The 9C will allow me to expand a little more.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Druss

as stated before, i suggest that you get the best radio you can afford. there is also a new 2.4ghz 7ch radio coming out from futaba. you may outgrow your heli's but you don't want to outgrow your radio (too often anyway)
Old 12-15-2007, 09:56 PM
jaketrouble

if you dont think you will ever fly more then 6 helis then get the futaba. if you think you'll have between 6 and ten helis then get the dx6.. if you thnk some day you may have more then 10 helis and some of them are gasser/nitro then get the dx7.

all can be found right here.. this is a great guy.. he is always ready to answer any of your questions customer or not. his shipping and customer service is the best,,ask anyone here...

all the above tx's are great.. it just depends on how far you want to go.. jake..

[link=http://ka-planes.com/inc/sdetail/1126]http://ka-planes.com/inc/sdetail/1126[/link]
Old 12-15-2007, 10:05 PM
KCinNC

ORIGINAL: tippy

KCinNC:: ... Futaba 6EX...sounds decent ...
Which 6EX?

6EXA ... flys airplanes only
6EXH ... flys helis only
6EX 2.4GHz ... flys both

The 7Cs and 9Cs are good options too.

I don't need all that my 9C has to offer ... today ... but what about next year or the year after??
The 9C will allow me to expand a little more.

the 6EX 2.4 is what i was looking at

as far as expanding.....that's up to the wife
Old 12-15-2007, 10:20 PM
Druss

true enough but you might find some uses for that extra channel on a 7ch radio. volt meter, led lights, wheel retracts on a scale project... etc.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:22 PM
jaketrouble

v
Old 12-15-2007, 10:27 PM
RussWisc

radio is the heart of your R/Cs i have a JR 9303 but after 25+ years i also have 7 planes and 3 helis +1 on order .. not counting the ones i have sold or crashed ....get the best you can afford then you do not need to upgrade later in 25 years i have had 10+ radios

a DX7 would be GReat
Old 12-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Druss

yep, if the JR 12x had come out sooner I wouldn't have this DX7 myself... maybe when the 12X does come out I can sell it to someone like the OP...
Old 12-16-2007, 08:56 AM
tippy

ORIGINAL: Druss

true enough but you might find some uses for that extra channel on a 7ch radio. volt meter, led lights, wheel retracts on a scale project... etc.
I agree with the rest of the stuff ... but why would you need an extra channel for a volt meter???
Old 12-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Druss

because i don't like using a y harness, just more wires to bundle up. i'm talking about the little voltage monitors that light up or make a sound when your lipo battery is dying.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:31 PM
bbagle1

My vote goes to the Futaba 9C if you have room for it in your budget. it will fly Heli's, planes, and gliders and has enough features to keep you happy until you start flying quad engine warbirds or twin turbine jets. I bought mine thinking "what will i ever need nine channels for" and within six month I was using eight of them on a glow plane.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:56 PM
RussWisc

you may not use all 9 chs but the mixing and programing you get with it makes it all more worth it
Old 12-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Not only does the DX-7 have another channel but it has more programing features and a larger screen than even futabas new 7c 2.4
Old 12-16-2007, 02:33 PM
RussWisc

if i didnt have a JR9303 and was starting over i think i would start witrh a DX7 its a good radio ,,, look at the reveiw in RC Heli #18 Dec 07 ... its rated high
Old 12-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

I'm going to go through all that maybe next year. My 8u does both and with a Campac I am in good shape but times are changing. Programing is a nightmare on it. But with this 2.4 and now into helis, going to have to support both. Not sure if the 9c does 2.4 as i have not research it but i have programmed one for a friend with no manual and makes my 8U seem like dinosaur
Old 12-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Druss

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

I'm going to go through all that maybe next year. My 8u does both and with a Campac I am in good shape but times are changing. Programing is a nightmare on it. But with this 2.4 and now into helis, going to have to support both. Not sure if the 9c does 2.4 as i have not research it but i have programmed one for a friend with no manual and makes my 8U seem like dinosaur
futaba doesn't have a 9C w/ 2.4 yet but i'm sure it's coming. there is a spektrum module for it though.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:53 AM
tippy

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

futaba doesn't have a 9C w/ 2.4 yet but i'm sure it's coming. there is a spektrum module for it though.
I think it will be a long time before Futaba makes a 9C that is SS and SS only. As long as there is a market for both 72Mhz and 2400Mhz, I think Futaba
will stay with the swappable modules.

And there is a SS module for the 9C (8-channel) ... it's Futaba's "spectrum" module ... not Spektrum (brand name)
And are they expensive !!!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRTU7&P=7
Old 12-17-2007, 09:12 AM
KCinNC

ORIGINAL: RussWisc

if i didnt have a JR9303 and was starting over i think i would start witrh a DX7 its a good radio ,,, look at the reveiw in RC Heli #18 Dec 07 ... its rated high
yeah i just picked up this issue....and yeah it answered ALOT of questions....seems the DX7 might be they way to go !!
Old 12-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Druss

actually Spektrum does have a module for futbaba radios which uses spektrum receivers.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMMSFUT9
Old 12-17-2007, 06:41 PM
tippy

actually Spektrum does have a module for futbaba radios which uses spektrum receivers.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMMSFUT9
I stand correct

I still doubt that Futaba will come out with a dedicated 2400Mhz 9C any time soon but is bound to happen eventually.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Druss

totally agree, they are releasing a 7C that is 2.4ghz in dec/jan though so i think the 9C will be out next year sometime. JR is releasing the 12X and Airtronics is releasing an 8ch 2.4 next year so the pressure will be on.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:49 AM
tippy

totally agree, they are releasing a 7C that is 2.4ghz in dec/jan though so i think the 9C will be out next year sometime. JR is releasing the 12X and Airtronics is releasing an 8ch 2.4 next year so the pressure will be on.
Yep ... I would imagine the sales of new 72Mhz equipped 9C's will start dropping as new pilots opt for the SS only TXs. At some point it will not be cost effective for Futaba (or any brand for that matter) to have a "module" type TX like the 9C ... especially when the 9C SS module and RX costs the same as the TX itself.

2.4Ghz is coming and with 2.4Ghz there will be no reason for frequency swapping. At that point ... the previously "moduled" TXs will become SS only.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:47 PM
AMA Outlaw

Don't forget Jim Drew's 2.4 system- XPS. I see the module and receiver price for a 9C has dropped from $250 to $200. In fact, most of his prices across the board have dropped. Just remember that converting a 9C to 2.4 will leave you with an 8 channel radio- you only get the 9th channel when using PCM. Oh yeah, the 2.4 gHz 6EX is a VERY basic transmitter. I'm only using it as a stopgap measure until the radio I really want is available. I feel sooo limited using the 6EX although I prefer Futaba's 2.4 over Spektrum's.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Druss

I've looked into the XPS system and it's not as advanced from what I can see as the Spektrum or Futaba FASST, they only use one connection instead of 2 so if you lose the one it searches and locks onto a free frequency but during that time you may lose control. The idea behind the dsm2 is that it uses 2 frequencies so that there is redundency.

This is just what I have been told. Besides, the cost of a new DX7 is only $50 more than the module for a 9C.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.