Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Turbo Nexus 30 Video for viewing pleasure

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Turbo Nexus 30 Video for viewing pleasure

Old 04-16-2003, 01:43 AM
wingspan99
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Nexus 30 Video for viewing pleasure

Hi guys,
I made a video of my Turbo Nexus 30, it's a Nexus 30 with homemade tuned exhaust and tricycle landing gear. The gear work great, tougher than the skid landing gear. It blasts up much better than with the stock muffler. I did my first loops and rolls with it yesterday and today, what a blast. BTW it's for sale in the heli for sale forum. I'm ready for a full blown 3d machine, probably a Rappy 50.

Turbo Nexus 30 Movie (4mb .wmv file, you might need WMP 9.0 to see it)

-Tom Andersen
Greensboro NC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	71074_548.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	43031  
Old 04-18-2003, 07:08 PM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Hey Tom,

Nice video of your heli. When are we going to see you doing the loops and rolls with it?

Also...I'm curious about your muffler? What is it made from?

Thanks
CMO
Old 04-18-2003, 10:26 PM
wingspan99

Default Loops and Mufflers

Thanks CMO. Perhaps this weekend I can get some footage of some loops and rolls. The muffler is a canister from a can of automotive fuel injector cleaner. Quite a few products use those cans with the skinny neck. They're .040 thick aluminum and don't require much modification to fit. I put a 5/16" stinger in the rear and it's very quiet. Look in your auto parts stores, I've seen them in several brands. The bottle of cleaner was $3.97 at Autozone.
-Tom
Old 04-19-2003, 02:50 PM
tisrich

Default cool video

Hey Tom Great video. I love the trike gear. May have to use that idea myself. What type of gear did you use? Can you tell me what program you used to make the video too? Thanks!!
-Rich
Old 04-19-2003, 04:22 PM
wingspan99

Default Thanks Rich

I made the gear from scratch, it was made from 1/8" 6061-T6 aluminum. The wheels are a lot of fun, it sometimes looked like a gyrocopter in the air. The program used to make the video is Moviemaker 2.0. Moviemaker 1.0 comes standard in XP but I was able to upgrade it for free at the Microsoft site. It makes editing real easy with good quality video.
Old 04-19-2003, 04:35 PM
tisrich

Thanks Tom. Could you post a pic of the undercarriage so I can see how you did it?
-Rich
Old 05-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Hans Insulander

Cool video, I especially liked to see the exhaust smoke demonstrate what settling with power is! You should be glad you we're not doing that with a full size Robinson R22 - you'd be in hospital... ;-)
Old 05-03-2003, 01:36 PM
wingspan99

Default Settling with power

Thanks Hans. What is "Settling with Power"? Is that when you transition to hover in your own downwash or ground effect? I'm not familiar with full-scale heli terminology. I'm guessing that in full-scale heli's a transition to hover would be made out of ground effect, I kinda made that one a bit low and powered out of it huh? Watching the smoke on the heli's is half the fun! -Tom
Old 05-04-2003, 10:31 PM
Hans Insulander

Default Re: Settling with power

Originally posted by wingspan99
Thanks Hans. What is "Settling with Power"? Is that when you transition to hover in your own downwash or ground effect? I'm not familiar with full-scale heli terminology. I'm guessing that in full-scale heli's a transition to hover would be made out of ground effect, I kinda made that one a bit low and powered out of it huh? Watching the smoke on the heli's is half the fun! -Tom
Settling with power is when you descend into your own downwash, which can be deadly if done on full scale helicopters. This happens if you descend to quickly straight down, or if you "brake" violently while descending. (High speed, nose up, descending but not autorotating)

What happens is that you lose most of the lift, and the _only_ way to exit this condition is to get some forward speed. You will need _a lot_ of altitude to recover. Or, as r/c choppers have, ridiculous amounts of power...

For this reason, full scale heli pilots do not descend straight down. If they have to, they do it _very_ slowly.

Watch the smoke at about 53 secs into the video. Note that the smoke is going down, then turns outwards and back up into the rotor again.

Full scale pilots normally transition into hover in ground effect. If the engine, for whatever reason, is not able to give full power, and that happens at, say, 10 meter, you have a _serious_ problem. Hovering in ground effect will need about 25% less power.

Full scale pilots always assume the engine will break down at the very worst moment. We should too - it would save us a lot of crashes and mishaps.

Hope someone finds this useful. There's a lot more information at the library, any book about heli flying will have a lot of information that applies to R/C helis. Having a brother who is a (fullscale) helicopter instructor sure helps too... ;-)
Old 05-05-2003, 01:11 PM
TurboRacer
My Feedback: (4)

Why do you call it a "Turbo" Nexus?
Old 05-09-2003, 02:48 AM
wingspan99

Default Turbo

I called it a Turbo Nexus because of the tuned exhaust system's extra power. Compared to the power with the muffler, it felt like it had a turbo. -Tom