Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What 30size Heli to buy??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

What 30size Heli to buy??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 04:33 AM
TurboKimmees
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What 30size Heli to buy??

I'm looking to get a 30size heli. What would be the best deal and great heli in the market?? and where can I get it??
Old 05-03-2003, 04:39 AM
davidj

Go to Heliproz.com and look around. Find out what others in your area are flying. Either the Kyosho Caliber 30 or the Thundertiger Raptor 30 V2 are the way to go.
Old 05-03-2003, 04:47 AM
FlyByWire
My Feedback: (4)

The most popular right now is the Raptor. The Caliber is a STRONG force to be reckoned with though. You CAN NOT go wrong with either heli.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:09 AM
Buzzin Brian

Get a Raptor 50V2. It will have the crash cost of the 30, but the power of the 50. Which is in comparison to a 60 when it comes to power to weight ratio. Not that the 30 will not take you far, because it will. But the 50 has plenty of power to spare, which you will find yourself wanting shortly after you learn how to fly. Atleast that was my experience. If I had it to do all over again, that is what I would do. Good luck!
Old 05-03-2003, 12:06 PM
Dan K
My Feedback: (5)

Get a century Hawk sport $159 or $269 with os 32. YOu can get two of these and have all the spare parts for when you crash.for the price of one of those other. This is a great heli better made then some costing twice as much Flys great, stabil, GReat beginer Heli and wont brake your wallet I love mine Just my .02 cents Dan
Old 05-03-2003, 05:36 PM
WOS
My Feedback: (62)

Unfortunatly I don't have any one around to fly with so I can't see what they are fltying. The raptor 30 v1 or v2 is the most popular by far but the Caliber is comeing on strong. I actually have three calibers and love them to pieces. I know them inside and out. Wanted to get a raptor 30 but I think I will just fly my cali's till I move to a 60 series
Old 05-03-2003, 08:44 PM
syclic

Default Hawk Sport

I agree with Dan K on the Hawk Sport. All the money you save can be applied towards a better radio or Gyro. These will prove of better service to you then any entry level heli and the Sport is as good as any of the others.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:15 PM
Galifrey

I have a hawk sport with TT39 and have just sold a raptor 30 with irvine 36....

The raptor was the better learner machine, the hawk sport is still for sale...

Can't think why....

Old 05-03-2003, 11:57 PM
Isaac F

Century Hawk Sport or Hirobo Shuttle Plus. Both are ALMOST the same price.

Make sure to get a OS 32SX-H engine and a 401/9253 Gyro.

Here is a review of the Century Hawk with a lot of pictures.
http://runryder.com/helicopter/t2005...hlight=voclain
Old 05-04-2003, 12:29 AM
Bluto

I own a Raptor 30, 50, 60 and a Hawk sport, my advice is get a Raptor or Caliber! The Hawk sport is pretty basic and the quality is not better then some helicopters costing twice as much. It does fly ok but the wire driven tail is a real pain and the start shaft system is less then perfect. You can upgrade the Hawk to fly better but you will end up spending more doing that then you would if you just bought a Raptor or Caliber to start with. If you only have $160 to spend then the Hawk is your only choice, if you can afford more do it you'll be miles ahead.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 AM
TurboKimmees

Thanks..guys.. I think I'm going to get the Raptor 30 V2 with 39motor and 49 bairings.

I have 2 heli right now...one is a Xcell Custom 60 and one is the lite machine gas. I bought an Xcell 60custom from a guy locally...and the heli was in the perfect shape. But I was unable tune that YS motor..so their for I never flown that heli. I never have a time to take it apart until now. Finally I found out that the motor was bad (piston and sleve was all gone! Burn and chiped) so..in the mean time ...I flown my litemachine alot...I have at least 3 gallons of gas though that little thing. =) I can easily hoover it and have it move to any where I want to...but...stilll a little nourvis to really flyinng it around.

Any ways...I have alot of flight time on the G2 Simm...I was really comfortable with it. So...I figure I should get a 30 scale heli...just to get me learing on the big scale and all...

In anycase....Raptor 30 V2 seem to be a very good heli and cheaper to get fix if some thing should happen to it. "Knock on da wood" LOL... I think I'm going to get a brand new one just so..I'm sure my heli is in perfect conditon.

Thanks all again.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:10 AM
WOS

GO BURN SOME NITRO WHY DON'T YA!
Old 05-04-2003, 11:53 AM
TurboKimmees

WOS ...Raptor V2 will be order on Monday!!! I think I might sale my Xcell 60 chassis.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:12 PM
WOS

Turbo, When it does come in you definatly want to go to www.raptortechnique.com when you start building it. Everyone tells me the manual for the raptor really BITES! Raptor techniques has a step by step online precudere for building the raptor step by step and offers many many more ideas and tips as you progress.
Oh and email me what you might want for the xcell. got a few 30's and might want a taste of the 60's. emil me at [email protected]
BURN SOME NITRO!
Old 05-09-2003, 07:43 PM
TurboKimmees

Hay! is the Raptor 30 V2 comes with the hax starting rod??

I just order one from HELIPROZ ....now... the guy at heliporz told me that the kit doesn't come with the hax starting rod?? and he said...I'm going to need a new tune pipe....the factory one is bad he said...is it true?

Also..is the kit come with some thing for me to setup the pitch one the blade??

Any ways...I took the recomadtion and buy those extra stuff...I hope this heli will help me improve my flying skill!!!!! can't wait!!
Old 05-09-2003, 08:28 PM
Bluto

The muffler that comes with it will work but they don't last long, getting a better muffler is a wise choice. The kit doesn't come with the hex starter wand so yes you needed that as well. You will also need a good pitch gauge I hope they talked you into buying one.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:17 AM
TurboKimmees

Actually I don't have enough money to get the pitch gauge right now..but..by the time I get the Heli..I will go get one from a LHS. Can't wait to fly it!!

Oh..one more...how do u braking in the motor?? Is it the same way like the car? Any instrugtion do to thta with the kit?/
Old 05-10-2003, 06:24 AM
Buzzin Brian

Thats another reason I like the 50V2. It comes with a real nice muffler, a header tank, a constant drive tail, and a nice set of carbon blades if bought here in the US. You can always buy a set of woodies, and save the carbons. But the added exspense of a new muffler just adds to the kit cost of the 30V2 if you ask me. Plus if you add the price for a good set of carbon blades, a cheap header tank, as well as the price for a new muffler, you are not far off from the cost of the 50. And that is not adding the cost of the metal swash plate, carbon frame base, and the constant driven tale gear. In adding it all up, it is almost cheaper to buy the 50V2 with the stuff you get. AS opposed to getting the 30V2. But that is just my oppinion. Enjoy the Raptor. It is a nice bird.
Old 05-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Bluto

To break-in the engine first make sure the low speed needle is set at 3 turns out, then set the high speed needle to 3.5 turns out. Run around 4 or 5 tanks through it this way then close the high speed needle to 3.25 turns out and burn at least one gallon of fuel through it at that setting. your final settings should be low speed 3 turns out high speed any where from 2.5 to 3 turns out, mine seem to be happiest at around 3 turns out on the high speed needle. One of the more important things to remember when breaking-in a new engine is to not push it to hard at first take it easy on it no full throttle climb outs and don't let the engine run out of fuel it will cause a lean run that can damage it.

The exception to this rule is the OS32, its a ABC engine it has no piston ring, it rely's on a very tight piston liner clearance at top dead center to create compression. These engines should only be run slightly rich and need to be brought up to speed and running temp very quickly or they can be damaged. I've destroyed an ABC engine by running it to rich during break-in it hammered the rod to pieces. Its best to break-in this type of engine on a bench with a prop and aircraft muffler. Just start it and run it wide open and slightly rich for a few tanks, then put it in the helicopter and fly.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:33 PM
Galifrey

Raptor Technique is good, but I find Fritz The Cats site even better....

http://bellsouthpwp.net/f/r/fritzthecat/

click helicopter, thunder tiger, then the rappy 30 pic...

Old 05-14-2003, 02:46 AM
TurboKimmees

another question...I have a Telebee GR701 Piezo Gyro (Tail Lock System) I think ..they call it heading hold right??

So...what is heading hold gyro?? what does it do?? I have another standard gyro in my lite machines. Should I just put a standard one in or put this heading hold in my Rap30V2??

Also..what is the setup on the gyro? any starting point??
Old 05-14-2003, 07:42 AM
spurry

Default Heading Hold

There's not many heli's out there now without it. A heading hold gyro keeps your heli pointing in one direction no matter how much wind pushes the tail or if you fly backwards, sideways, inverted etc. It keeps the heading that it was left at and is constantly managing the rudder to remain heading in the direction. This does not affect your rudder control, you can use rudder how you like and whenever you want, it's just than when you release the rudder stick, the gyro recognises the heading and stays there. So you put it where you want it!

The difference is that a normal (rate) gyro just dampens out any movement and fights against that. It does not hold a certain heading. Once the tail moves then the gyro comprises and inputs the opposite rudder control but does not return to the original position before the out side force (wind ) struck.

Heading hold is great as it's one less control to deal with, you just move rudder when you want. The flying is a bit different though. You have to work the rudder around turns, which becomes normal after a couple of flights, whereas the normal one would weathervane around turns.

Go with the manufacture's guidelines for the starting point, that's always the best place to start.

James
Old 05-16-2003, 02:02 PM
TurboKimmees

My Rappee30V2 is here!!!! Yay!! can't wait to putting it together!!

I thought I will get the ARF one..some how I got the KIT? K22? w/49BB upgrade??

Hay guys!! the FACTORY RAPTOR 30V2 Tune pipe looks really nice!!! how well wil it work?? cuz...I also bought a new tune pipe Mavrikk brand name...what do u think??

Any one with any idea how to setup this heli with JR8103 radio??
Old 05-19-2003, 11:49 PM
davidj

The factory muffler and the Maveric muffler are not tuned pipes. You do not want a tuned pipe until you learn to fly and need the extra power (and problems) the tuned pipe provide. The setup is a tricky one to answer. I highly recommend you find someone with experience with the 8103 and rappy to help you. Let them get it hovering and happy before you take to the sticks. This will save you a lot of headaches and $$$$$$$.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:27 AM
WOS

Why are the tuned pipes so tricky? what problems do they posses?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.