Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

PC simulator vs the real thing?

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

PC simulator vs the real thing?

Old 04-26-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PC simulator vs the real thing?

I must be the only one but I don't think the sim is any real help except for orientation.
That's the kind of statement that can lead a person down entirely the wrong path in this hobby. Sims are simply amazing tools to learn how to fly with and are extremely effective. I would highly recommend G3.5 because it has a controller that you don't have to recharge the batteries on, and because it has the throttle hold switch in pretty much the correct position (G4 doesn't....not recommended )
Old 04-26-2008, 06:38 PM
RevToTheRedline
My Feedback: (4)

I think I'm going to bypass the B400 route, go with the sim and work my way to building a T-Rex 450SE v2. I've been reading a lot in to the electronics issues that come up with the B400 and I'd just rather not bother with buying something that I'm going to have to replace a bunch of stuff in, rather better off building it right, the first time.

I have in mind going with the DX7 radio, Futaba GY401 gyro, T-Rex 450SE V2 black with fiberglass rotors.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Skarn

ORIGINAL: RevToTheRedline

While 20 people could tell me not to get the SE, I probably still would, cause I'm overkill like that.

I just put molded carbon fiber stone guards on my Mugen Seiki 1/8 race buggy, that were $80 and not even really needed, just because I wanted them and nobody could stop me

Well, I'll be one to say get the SE v2! Why buy cheap and then upgrade later? Nothing wrong with starting off with what you wnat right away.

Very good choice on the SE v2.....you won't be disappointed.

Skarn
Old 04-27-2008, 12:48 AM
Speedfrek

I agree that the sim is good for learning and orientation especially advanced stuff. But that alone won't get you hovering. I hovered every heli on the sim for the first week that I had a heli. I had maybe 20 hours on the sim to make sure that I knew what I was doing. But my first flight was a disaster. Heck my first weekend was a disaster. It took me at least 4 batterys to get short hovering down pat. It is completely different.

I am still practicing on the sim but for a beginner, don't think you can fly a heli because you can fly the one on the computer.

I think Radds school is a better for a newbie beginner than the sim.. As far as basic hovering goes.. that is what I was talking about as a beginner. But we'll see I just got a couple buddys into helis. I will keep an eye on their progress to see how they do... one is into the sim full out "no heli until I can get the sim mastered" and the other one doesn't even have a computer.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:08 AM

one is into the sim full out "no heli until I can get the sim mastered"
LOL, so he won't be flying until he's had about 10 years of one hour per day on the simulator?

Old 04-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Speedfrek

LOL... Yea I thought that but he means that he is going to be able to fly decent before he buys a heli.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:43 PM
ArtW

I learned to fly in the 1970's before sims. It was extremely difficult to get enough flight time. No one flew well. A really good pilot could fly inverted 20 feet above the ground in a plane. A really, really good helicopter pilot could hover for a minute. No one had enough flight time between crashes or landings to be a good flyer in todays sense. No one could do a rolling circle, hover a plane, or fly a helicopter in loops. I wrote a simulator in 1976 to run on a Northstar computer we soldered together. Simulators are essential.

I learned to fly again with a Realflight simulator in 2000. I flew the aircraft realflight simulator for months before getting a trainer. The trainer is still in fine shape eight years and five training pilots later. I can torque roll, rolling circle, etc because I practice on the real flight simulator for a long time prior to flying. I purchase the add in for a plane or heli that I am thinking of buying to see if it is worth the effort. For $30 I can see if I even like that $5000 plane.

I flew helis on the G2, G3.5, G4 for a couple of years before getting a used Raptor 30. I have flown the Raptor 30 for two months and can do forward flight, figure 8, nose in, etc. Why? Because I practice on the simulator. I would not buy any plane or helicopter until you can really fly it on the simulator.

What heli should you buy? Bigger is better and easier. A Raptor is ultimately not that different in price from a Trex but the raptor flies better. I can fly 10-ten minute flights on my Raptor in a couple of hours. The electric guys are lucky to get 2 or 3, 6 minute flights. A Raptor 30 or 50 will be more stable, cheeper, and you can put 10 flights a day on it for just the price of fuel.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:42 PM
evo5

And what about Reflex XTR simulator?
Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 PM
pappy35

I was in the same boat as you and my experience is very recent.

Sort-of:
A year and half, almost two years ago, I decided to get into helis after twenty or so years flying planks. My decision tree was much simpler that yours though 'cause I had no money. So, to bide my time, I bought G3(.5) using Towers 3-pay option and have been stimulating ever since. I've got a hundred different planks and rotors I downloaded for free and have been generally loving it...

...flash-forward to a month ago. A guy at the field has a wonderfully hopped-up T-rex (SE-like, all metal parts, STK frame, 401 gyro, HS-65MG's, the whole works) and decides he's tired of it. Sells me the bird, tools, 2-batteries, toolbox, case, $200 worth of spare parts, etc. all for about $400!!! Thanks to the stimulator time, I am flying. I was hovering nosein/out and flying the pattern with 2 minutes of starting the rotor. I'm no JK but I can do all the easy stuff and basic aerobatics.

Is GX.X a perfect simulation of a T-rex or whatever? No, but that's irrelevant. Simulators are a perfect tool for training muscle memory and that's what it's all about. You can adjust almost instantly to different control feel and sensitivities (you do need a set-up heli or someone to help you get it there though like I had) but learning which way to move the stick in response to some movement regardless of attitude or position, that's what the simulator does for you.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:26 PM
flycc
Banned

ORIGINAL: Big feet

Druss,
Good to know about the G3.5 - G4 model downloads, I happily stand, err, sit, err, type corrected.
right!

[link=http://www.rcroll.com]rc helicopter[/link]

[link=http://www.flashlightcool.com]flashlight[/link]

[link=http://www.game4box.com]Video Games[/link]