Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

First RC Heli suggestion

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

First RC Heli suggestion

Old 05-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Spetsnaz201

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First RC Heli suggestion

I have never had a RC HELI.

I need a suggestion for a basic rc heli around 100 bucks.

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.bananahobby.com/1006.html

Is this a good one for a beginner user , and if not, which are some other ones i can take a look at ?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Druss

Default RE: First RC Heli suggestion

I don't really like bananahobby as a store, it's just a couple ppl running the business out of their house/garage. Very difficult to get a hold of if there is an issue. I'd suggest you look at the esky v3/v4 as a better option for a co-axial heli. The V3 is more durable than the one you're looking at (if not as cool looking).
Old 05-13-2008, 09:47 PM
homeunt
My Feedback: (3)

well that heli isn't really worth i 100 dollars cause I see them about 30 shipped on ebay.
GO for Honey Bee Fixed Pitch, or Honey Bee King 2 depending on your $$$
Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Druss

homeunt, just as a note, many of the ones you see on ebay are either 2 ch or 3 ch not 4 ch which is why they are so cheap. if you do an ebay search for apache 4 ch you'll find they aren't that cheap. make sure that you take shipping into account because a lot of the guys on ebay try to sell for a low price and high shipping as the percentage they pay to ebay is only on the item cost not the shipping. this means that if they sell for $50 w/ $50 shipping they will pay less to ebay than if they sell for $75 and $25 shipping.

All that aside, i'd still suggest the esky lama v3.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:08 PM
homeunt
My Feedback: (3)

i was actually bidding on a 4ch apache starting with 99 cents and shipping at 30 dollars. [If my memory serves me right, it was the exact same model.] I quit because I started to looking at single rotor helis and liked them better but the bidding ended at 10 bucks. It's 40 bucks on e-bay so I don't think they're worth 100...
Old 05-14-2008, 06:02 PM
VulcanGrey

For my first I bought a Walkera H1#b. it's not a bad little bird.
It is pretty tough so far, crashed 4 times, and it is easy to rebuild.

It's a full 120deg CCPM (electronic mixing, full collective/cyclic) so it flies like a real heli. Not as easy as a coaxial or fixed pitch.

But it is enough to learn on and keep flying through a more intermediate level.

Parts are now available through AirborneRC in Australia, Ehirobo, and xheli. I have bought from all 3 with good experiences.

The new version at Ehirobo (released today) is RTF and includes a 2.4GHz radio and RX. I bought mine in Jan and it is FM 72MHz.
http://www.walkera.com/en1/particula...=Z31%23B240104

here's the one I have, with plastic head and FM radio
http://www.walkera.com/en1/particula...pn=Z31%23B0104

The one bad thing about it is that the tail is a fan. and not belt driven, so it doesn't have that much authority. But it actually is pretty responsive. Also the gyro is rate only and not an advanced heading hold type.

The battery is pretty good quality (I have 2), and the included charger works well and balances very well. I've checked my batteries with a balancing circuit, and they don't need much if any.

The new version has a better weight balance. I had to remove my battery cage, and velcro my battery up front under the rx.

It also includes an all metal upgrade head, which may not be the best for a beginner.

I saw it advertised today for $119 RTF (includes everything except RX AA batteries).
Old 05-20-2008, 09:41 AM
helikiller

I would contact a reputable seller like Ka-planes (www.ka-planes.com) for suggestions. I got a lot of useful information from Mike, Jr. when I was shopping for my first heli. I ended up buying a Walkera HM5 #10 coax from them and it has been the perfect beginner heli as far as I am concerned. It's easy to fly, cheap to repair and comes with a lot of upgrades standard.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:13 AM
flycc
Banned

I think this website is good:www.rcroll.com:)
Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 AM
pwo14

I am a beginner and looking for a heli and all the beginner helicopters seemed to be coaxial so i was looking into those and a good one seemed to be the walker 5#10.  But there were 2 kinds a Hm5#10 and a 5#10.  Can someone please tell me the difference.  thankyou