Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Heli's are hard, I give up.

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Heli's are hard, I give up.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Xride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heli's are hard, I give up.

I have a Blade CP Pro, and after 10 sets of blades and other various parts I give up.
I can hover, kinda. but its hard to control the hover. I have heard the small heli's are harder to learn with, but didnt think it would be this hard.

Is there a seriously easy heli to fly that can still fly outside?
Old 05-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Elgreco3

Default RE: Heli's are hard, I give up.

Get a simulator, even the free ones if you don't have one already.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Xride

there are free ones?
Old 05-26-2008, 11:36 PM
tadawson

Better yet, find a club and get some instruction. Helis are not a model that you can "DIY" learn very easily or cheaply . . . and typically, the bigger it is, the easier to learn on. (I learned on a 50 size nitro, with an instructor, and never crashed it . . ).

At the very least, (if you have not done so already), get an experienced pilot to check your setup - if you have never flown a heli before, it would be almost impossible to get it right yourself, and a bad setup can make learning so much harder than it already is.

- Tim
Old 05-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Xride

I dont know anyone else into heli's to help me besides what I can gather off the net.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 AM
whitedog4491

Xride never give up. Here is a link to a site in Edmonton. They have build nights and such. I am sure someone there will help with your setup and give you all the help you need.

www.edmheli.ca
Old 05-27-2008, 05:09 AM
simmo8

G Day
dont give up get an eflight bade cx2 very very easy to fly

happy flying and good luck
Old 05-27-2008, 06:32 AM
ginnz
My Feedback: (2)

there are guys from edmonchuck on these forums....

Druss comes to mind.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Druss

ORIGINAL: Xride

I dont know anyone else into heli's to help me besides what I can gather off the net.
Hey Xride,

Send me a PM if you'd like for me to look over your heli to make sure it's set up right. I have 2 friends with those and I'm continuously fixing them so I know them quite well.

There are quite a few guys and two clubs here in edmonton that are dedicated to heli flyers. Unfortunately, I'm away for a week starting on Friday to Vancouver for business. You can also contact Ernie at www.edmheli.ca, he's the admin there and helped me when I first started.

One thing to realize is that you probably chose one of the hardest helis to fly to try and learn on. I'd really suggest a sim and going through radds school of rotory flight (google it).
Old 05-27-2008, 10:19 AM
RaceCraftRC

get a sim ( fms, free) (clearview, really good 40$) and find a club everthing is easyer with a group of no it all,s LOL, And its been my experance that the blade cp is very hard to learn with its way to jitery and fragle. don't give up not evan an inch just go about getting there diffrantly, a sim will inprove your skills hugely. I went from what seamed like constant repairs to very confratable and controled flight in about a week with clearview. It's important to practice even on a sim at your skill level. anyway good luck, grab a sim and a cord for your remote and practice. AX
Old 05-27-2008, 11:22 AM
techrtr

Yeah, Great Hobbies has a store in Edmonton. I'm sure they can hook you up with some experienced heli pilots in the Edmonton area.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:14 PM
corona007

Don't give up! I have spinal myelopathy and both my hands and right foot are numb from spinal myelopathy 24/7 and can't feel the sticks 100% more like 60% that's mainly the reason I need the rachet on my stick even my tension is 3 x more than normal. I started with a cp pro too and I gave up with that heli, way too sensitive and delicate. Like most the people say get a sim it helped me immensely. Make sure your heli is set up properly and go at your own pace. And practice practice practice...I learned with a Trex 450 and I was amazed on the diffrence from a cp. Good luck!
Old 06-01-2008, 08:57 PM
SD2006

For what it's worth, I suck as a helicopter pilot. I've had a Raptor 30 for seven years and still don't have the guts to try any 3D with it. I can't fly the mini helis (especially those damn constant pitch yaw-happy el cheapo things) but I can handle basic flight with the Raptor. I know the Blade CP Pro is a step above the constant pitch models, but I can't imagine it'd be as easy to fly as a 30 size or larger.

I started with a Lite Machines LMH-110 and crashed it like 26,000 times. After getting the Raptor I crashed once, trying to learn nose-in hovering (with the heli 2 feet off the ground - duh!). Later I got RealFlight G2 and while not terribly realistic, it definitely helped in avoiding subsequent crashes while learning basic flight with my Raptor.

Get a simulator and a more stable bird and you'll have it licked in no time. If I can do it, you can do it! [sm=biggrin.gif]

Old 06-04-2008, 12:35 PM
joshreynolds777
My Feedback: (1)

Get the Pheonix RC flight Simulator. Down side is need your own transmitter. Up side is free upgrades. I was in your shoes. Got the sim, found a heli friend, and the rest is history. I've had three gallons of fuel thru my raptor 50 and zero crashes.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:19 PM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SD2006,
I think thats one of the bigest catch 22's in the heli hobby! I started with a 400 size because it was a cheap way to see if I'd like the hobby and its less intimidating than a 30. I did get the hang of it (several parts and one 450 Heli later) before I got my Hurrcane 550( a 30 size Heli). After the first flight with the larger Heli I could have kicked myself for not starting with it! The differance in the hovering and overall flight stability is remarkable.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:21 PM
klaze

I agree that the biggest concern is having your heli trimmed out to be easy to handle.

Get someone from your local Heli shop to fly it and trim it for you.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 PM
ginnz
My Feedback: (2)

all of my heli's have zero trim on them..... i just take enough time to set them up that way.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:05 AM
veralee

ORIGINAL: Xride

there are free ones?
Yep. The FMS sim is free, but you need a USB cable to connect the trainer plug on the TX to the computer, and it sells for about $15.
[link=http://www.rctoys.com/pr/2007/06/06/new-low-cost-gws-fms-flying-model-simulator-usb-cable-lets-you-fly-rc-airplanes-helicopters-on-your-pc/]Here is one.[/link]

The latest FMS free software is [link=http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html]here[/link].

This isn't the most glamorous software ever created but it doesn't need to be. It's plenty good enough to get the idea and to get the eye-stick coordination worked out. Hang in there, you can do it.

Keep in mind that the rotor disk - the blur that you see when the blades are spinning - is what's doing the flying. The rest of the contraption is a support package for the rotor disk. So, to control the thing means keeping the rotor disk under control. You need to keep the tilt of the disk under control. The tendency for the newbie is to get all twisted up based on the horizontal motion of the heli and apply gobs of stick to try to stop it, ending up with a large degree of tilt, which promptly sends the heli in whatever way it's tilted at a high rate of speed, renewing the panic factor. Except for a small amount of tilt towards the heli's right side, to compensate for tail thrust, the rotor disk should stay pretty close to level for a hover. Just don't let the tilt get very far off level. Tilt the disk whichever way you need to correct, but not very much, and as the heli comes to a stop be ready to get the disk level. Fly the disk.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:52 AM
simmo8

some very very good advice there veralee it will definitley help me. but in some light conditions dont let me see the disk.
thanks again and happy flying

simmo
Old 07-27-2008, 08:25 AM
veralee

Hi simm08.. yes, the disk is hard to see at times, but if you get used to observing it when you can see it you will gain some skill relating it to the angle of the dangle of the body. The two are pretty tightly related with the rigid rotor system of models.

Anyway, the idea is to keep the heli pretty close to upright in a hover. If it's tilted in any direction very much then it's going to be headed that-a-way pretty quickly. The tendency is to get too much tilt to correct a drift, so then it drifts the other way even faster, and on like that. Pretty soon there's nothing left to do but vomit.

Training gear make it a lot easier to see the tilt because they stick out so far, and for that reason they should be gotten rid of as soon as possible. Otherwise you'll get too dependent on using them to recognize the tilt of the contraption.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 AM
simmo8

hi
so it is normal for the heli to tilt to the side of the tail rotor to componsate fot the drift. have you got any tips on reverse orientation on the heli i am lurning on a blade 400 if that makes any diferance
Old 07-27-2008, 11:16 AM
SD2006

For reverse orientation (with the nose pointed toward you) I've adapted the "stick under the low wing" idea to helicopters. There's a giant imaginary joystick sitting under the heli that mimics the stick position on your transmitter. If the disk is tilted then move the stick to the low spot of the disk to prop it back up level again.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:19 PM
klaze

The Blade CP is notorious for being tricky to control for a newbie....

You might just want to trade it / sell it for a bird that is known to be easier to fly...

ORIGINAL: ginnz

all of my heli's have zero trim on them..... i just take enough time to set them up that way.
When I said trim I meant in general not by necessarily adjusting the trim on the TX...
Old 07-28-2008, 04:10 AM
simmo8

thanks SD2006
i have heard that before but i have onley tryed it on the sim i also fly rc planes and it just comes natural for me now on them but on a heli it is a diferent story lol
thanks again

simmo
Old 07-28-2008, 04:41 AM
veralee

so it is normal for the heli to tilt to the side of the tail rotor to componsate fot the drift
It depends only on the direction the main blades rotate; it doesn't matter which side the tail rotor is mounted on or which way the tail blades rotate. If the main blades rotate clockwise then torque is gonna spin the hei left, and to stop that the tail blades have to blow air toward the right. When that thrust balances the torque the spin stops, but now we have a blast of air going to the right, which moves the entire heli left. To stop that the heli has to tilt right.

any tips on reverse orientation
I use the 'in it' method. Imagine being in the heli. The right side of the heli is always on the... right side of the heli, unless you've had a really bad wreck.
Right cyclic stick, for example, tilts the heli toward its right. If I was in it, then that would also be my right. If I can tell which way the nose of the heli is pointed, then I ought to be able to tell which way the right side of the heli is pointed, and if I want to go that way then right stick is the answer. Eventually, it's a matter of conditioned response, but to help speed that up, for me, it helped to think about it as if I'm in the heli.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.