Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Raptor Titan pitch arm

Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 PM
3D 4 ME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Titan pitch arm

Well IRCHA is here again and I still haven't been sponsered or for that matter flown anything other than realflight and my havoc. This is mainly because my collective pitch arm can travel +15 but can only travel -1. How do I adjust it?
Old 09-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Druss

Default RE: Raptor Titan pitch arm

What does your pitch curve look like? if it's set up in normal mode correctly then it's probably something like 32 to 100, in idle up mode it should be 0 to 100 giving full range.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:24 AM
fritzthecat
My Feedback: (4)

The following assumes a modern computer radio with at least 5 points in the Throttle and Pitch curves. If the radio has more than 5 points simply interpolate. Less than 5 points, save up for a better radio.

The basic concept for mechanical setup is to provide a linear, mirrored response from the controls over the entire positive to negative pitch range. To do this, the mechanical levers and pushrods must move an equal amount on either side of the 0 degree center point. Once the mechanical setup has been completed, the radio software is used to tune the pitch and throttle curves for the desired flying style and response. The mechanical setup is identical for all flying styles and levels. This prevents constant readjustments of linkages and servos as flying skills increase.

MCCPM
Preliminary Setup:
Radio system is assumed to be fully charged, correct model and modulation is selected, and servos are plugged into correct ports. Helicopter is fully assembled and has mainblades installed.

- Pitch Setup
- Disconnect linkages from the throttle, pitch and tail servo.
- Power up Tx and Rx.
- Select Normal Mode, ensure pitch and throttle curves are 0, 25, 50, 75, 100%.
- Set all trims to center, subtrims to 0, ATVs to 100%.
- Pick one mainblade grip and mark the grip and blade. This will be the Master Blade. All setup adjustments will be done to this blade.
- Set linkage lengths according to the manufacturers manual.
- On the elevator and aileron servos, set the servoarms at 90 deg to the linkages. Move the arms until a position is found as close to 90 deg as possible. If it is still a little off, use the Subtrim in the Tx to move the arms.
- Adjust the elevator and aileron linkages to level the swashplate all the way around.
- Physically move the swashplate up and down. Find the center point of travel. This will be the Center/Zero point and the entire setup is referenced to this point.
- On the Tx move the pitch stick to the center position. On the pitch servo, move the servo arm so it is at a 90 deg angle to the pitch pushrod. Move the arm until a position is found as close to 90 deg as possible. If it is still a little off, use the Subtrim in the Tx to move the arm. Screw on the servo arm.
- Look at bell cranks, mixing levers and washout levers. Adjust linkages as required to physically align all items to a 90 deg angle to pushrods, center of movement or level. The swashplate still stays at the center/zero point.
- Holding the pitch arm/lever so the swashplate stays at the zero point, adjust the length of the pitch linkage so it connects to the pitch servo arm.
- Install the pitch gage on the Master blade and move the blade perpendicular to the tailboom. The flybar should be exactly over the tailboom.
- Adjust linkages (usually the long links from the swashplate) on the main rotor head to obtain a zero pitch indication on the pitch gage.
- Now the Tx pitch/throttle stick is at center, swashplate is level at center/zero point, mainblade pitch is at 0 deg, all servo arms, bell cranks, mixing levers are at 90 deg to the linkages.
- Move the Tx pitch stick all the way up and down. Make sure the pitch arm moves over the entire range of travel. If it does not, increase ATV. If it binds at the end of servo travel, reduce the ATV. If the ATV is less than 90% or more than 120%, move the ball on the pitch servo arm out or in and readjust the ATVs.
- Using the pitch gage check mainblade pitch to be in the range of at least –10 deg to +10 deg. Some helis may have pitch in excess of -/+ 12 deg. Reduce ATVs evenly to show -/+ 10 deg approximately. Both up and down ATVs should be within 5% of each other.
- Adjust linkage on the other blade to match the Master blade pitch.
- Adjust elevator and aileron ATVs to get a mainblade deflection of about 6 degrees when the Tx stick is fully deflected. If the ATV is less than 90% or more than 120%, move the ball on the servo arms out or in and readjust the ATVs. The head with the mainblades must be rotated 90 deg to get both aileron and elevator deflection readings on the pitch gage. The flybar must be held steady while taking pitch readings on the blade.
- Now the Pitch part of the mechanical setup is complete. The up and down movement mirrors each other and the response is linear. At center stick, everything is centered/level: servo arms, bellcranks, mixing levers, swashplate and mainblades. Adjustment for flying style is done later.
- Throttle Setup
- Set the throttle trim all the way down. Set pitch/throttle stick on the Tx to the midpoint (zero degree) position.
- On the carburetor, move the arm to the center of its travel range or on the midpoint tickmark on the carb body. Adjust the carb servo arm so it is at a 90 deg angle to the linkage if it would be connected to the throttle servo arm.
- On the throttle servo, move the servo arm so it is at a 90 deg angle to the linkage if it would be connected to the carb arm.
- With the throttle linkage connected at either the carb or throttle servo (not both), move the Tx pitch/throttle stick all the way up and down. Adjust ATV to fully open the carb without binding if the linkage would be connected. If the ATV is less than 90% or more than 120%, move the ball on the servo arm in or out and readjust the ATVs. Do the same at the fully down position to close the carburetor with the Tx stick in the fully down position. Both ATVs should be within 5% of each other.
- Connect the linkage and check again that the range of travel is sufficient to fully open and close the carb.
- Move the throttle trim up to the ¾ position. This will open the carb enough to allow the engine to idle. Enable throttle cut (if available) and check to make sure that activating throttle cut fully closes the carb. Alternatively, make sure that full down throttle trim closes the carb.
- The throttle should now be fully open at up stick, ½ way open at midstick and a little open at full down stick. Opening is CCW, closing is CW. ATVs should be evenly matched.
- Tail Setup
- As there are many gyros on the market, RTFM is required.
- Several items are universal in regards to gyros and tailrotor control. The linkage must be as smooth and drag free as possible. There must be no play in the tail components. The gyro sensor must be securely mounted to the heli. The tailrotor servo must not bind at end of throws.
- It is very important to correctly setup the tailrotor servo throw direction and gyro direction. The nose of the helicopter must follow the rudder stick. Left stick and the nose of the heli should swing left. If the heli is rotated, the gyro should input an opposing rudder command.
-
- Final Setup
- Now the helicopter is setup mechanically. This setup should never change. All pitch and throttle curve adjustments for individual flying styles will be done with the pitch and throttle curves in the computer radio.
- Install the pitch gage on the master blade, move blade perpendicular to tailboom, ensure flybar is in line over the boom.
-
- For Novices adjust the NORM Pitch & ThrottleCurve, INH Idle ups.
- NORM -2, -1, 0, +5, +10deg (note that 0deg = 50% on the pitch curve, +10deg = 100%. 0%, 20%, 30%, 50%, 100% throttle. Adjust as required for a headspeed of ~ 1600-1800 rpm.
- HOLD curve as NORMAL and with a fast idle.
- IDLE-UP inhibited.
- Once you are comfortable and want to start flying around:
- NORM: -5, -3, 0, +5, +10 deg and 0%, 25%, 35%, 50%, 100% throttle.
- IDLE-UP -10, -5, 0, +5, +10 deg and 100%, 50%, 35%, 50%, 100% throttle.
- HOLD pitch as in NORMAL, Throttle to a good idle speed.
- The above are general numbers and may be tweaked for your helicopter. Just remember that 50% on the pitch curve always equals 0 deg pitch on the blades and that the throttle should be around 50% at the hover point..

Fritz

Old 09-21-2008, 12:46 AM
3D 4 ME

I have a DX7. I don't think it's a radio problem it has to be either the pitch arm or the links. All this downtime for the raptor has given me more simulator time. I'm like raiden from MGS2, my only experience is in VR training. lolz