Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Coming to end of first yr flying Helis

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Coming to end of first yr flying Helis

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:24 PM
bobmargie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming to end of first yr flying Helis

We are fast coming to the end of the flying season and I am very pleased with the year as a whole, last December I purchased a Align 600 CF nitro heli and assembled it as my first copter. I am now half way thru my seventh gallon of 30% and am capable of hoving thru the full tank, forward flight, loops, back flips, rolls, piro turns, and some auto rotations (not to high) and I have yet to have any serious mishaps. I owe what succes I have had to several of the other flyers at the airfield who are very willing to help a noob set up anad fly his heli. Alos for those others out there that are teaching themselves to fly helis DO NOT BE IN A HURRY!! I cant tell you how many tanks of fuel I burnt up doing nothing just hovering aver the runway. Do not move on to the next challenge until you are reasonably proficient at the basics. Do not let others goad you into trying somthing that you are not ready or comfortable doing (hey come on I bet you can do it! I dare you) you all have met that guy. Many nights I spent at the field as the only one there just doing the basics and then stting and letting the motor cool while I thought about what I had just done, how well I did it and what I was going to do next to be better.
I would highly recommend the align copter as a first heli. The copter has the highest quality fit and finish possible, everything fit like a dream and with the right help setting it up it can be made quite tame for the first timer. I cant wait until the next time I can go flying as it is quite windy here today, as a matter of fact my airplanes have really been getting neglected this year. I am thinking of getting an electric heli for the winter so I can fly indoors during the cold. I am especially looking forward to flying a copter in the enclosed football stadium at the University of Iowa at the next Blackhawk RC E|Xpo [link=http://www.e-xpodome.com/index.htm]E|Xpo[/link] my only concern is picking the right electric heli. I am interested in either the T-rex 450 or a Gazaur Mars which I really like the looks of but am a little put off by the lack of local vendors carrying these. Any preferences from you guys?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15994.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1039730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29854.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	1039731  
Old 09-24-2008, 03:12 PM
madmax22

Default RE: Coming to end of first yr flying Helis

nice man! For a electric chopper i would recommend the T-REX from what i have hear it is top of the line. i am soon getting a Helipro blackhawk 450 in the mail and will let you know how it goes. Most of the T-REX parts fit on this but with your skills i dont think you will be running to hobby shop every day. Hopefully once i get good and get some money im going to grab a trex and put it together.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:36 PM
bobmargie

Yeah I was figuring that a Rex would be the way to go as well. Parts availability is tops. I don't know about the "skills" part, probably more luck and conservatism than anything else. I just got home from work and it is 80 degrees and zero wind so guess what I am gonna go do?
Old 09-25-2008, 06:03 AM
madmax22

lucky!!!! its been pretty calm around here for about a week.... my heli should be here friday!!!! cant wait...
Old 09-25-2008, 12:33 PM
kd5boc

Max, you're NOT going to be disappointed. My BH450 flew like a DREAM...until a servo locked up during a stall turn. I've gone to a BH500 (stretched 450) and so far it's just as nice.

ENJOY IT!
Old 09-25-2008, 02:26 PM
madmax22

ORIGINAL: kd5boc

Max, you're NOT going to be disappointed. My BH450 flew like a DREAM...until a servo locked up during a stall turn. I've gone to a BH500 (stretched 450) and so far it's just as nice.

ENJOY IT!
i hate when people tell me they like it alot and its still in the mail.... you make me all jittery... i want to FLY!!!!!!! sucks now starting to rain and supposed to rain till moday[&o] story of my life[:'(]
Old 09-28-2008, 08:55 PM
mkn8632

Thanks for the good advise to us novices. Thanks !
Old 09-28-2008, 11:55 PM
axel8000

Madmax,
I ordered my Blackhawk 450 on the 24th. It was supposed to be here friday but it didn't show up
Guess it'll be here Monday, I can't wait!
Old 10-05-2008, 11:43 AM
bobmargie

Went out again with the Trex 600 thursday and it was sure windy! Most wind that I had ever flown in. Tried to be real careful with it on the first flight but found that wasn't the way to go, just couldn't get anything to handle right, didn't hurt anything but it wasn't any fun. Thought about it for afew minutes and put the bird back up again after a refuel and this time got real confident and aggressive with the sticks and it handled the wind great! Had myself a ball, but I was only able to get in 4 good fllights before it got to dark for me to see comfortably. Once again a great day flying.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:22 AM
cargo1

i have centuryhawk, raptor 30 and just got older trex 450 and love the little thing. just got it into the air last week, 37 flights and now starting to go into forward flights. needed it for winter indoor flying to. it has taght me alot. will get nitro heli's in the air this spring.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:24 AM
cargo1

i have centuryhawk, raptor 30 and just got older trex 450 and love the little thing. just got it into the air last week, 37 flights and now starting to go into forward flights. needed it for winter indoor flying to. it has taght me alot. will get nitro heli's in the air this spring.