Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What's the most popular 50 size nitro Heli?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

What's the most popular 50 size nitro Heli?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:37 PM
fadi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the most popular 50 size nitro Heli?

I am looking to buy me a real jewel in a 50 size nitro version. Price is not a problem, it is a real leasure I am looking for
What do you guys have or suggest? What brand/model is considered the rolls royce of helis?

I've heard very good stuff about JR, MA. Any feedback?
On the other side, I see the Trex 600 all over the place, but is that because of budget issues, or it is really that good?
Old 07-10-2009, 04:01 PM
rotordoc1

Default RE: What's the most popular 50 size nitro Heli?

The most popular here are the T-600, the JR Vibe and the Century Raven 50, which is now replaced by their just released NX-50.

I have had the Raven for many years and have found it to be a very precise flyer with no issues, that is also very low maintenance.

It has resulted in me ordering the new NX-50.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:11 PM
tadawson

Keep in mind, too, that "popular", "good", and "quality" frequently are unrelated . . . . . .

For quality, it's JR, MA, and Hirobo

For just plain cheap, go with Align, although it will probably cost you as much in the long run after you replace all the shoddy parts . . .

For one of the best out there now, at a decent price, look at the Hirobo SDX. For a little more money, the JR Vibe 50 is also outstanding. Can't say anything about the new MA 50, since it is not shipping yet, but if it holds true to form for MA, it should also be very good.

- Tim
Old 07-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: tadawson

Keep in mind, too, that ''popular'', ''good'', and ''quality'' frequently are unrelated . . . . . .

For quality, it's JR, MA, and Hirobo

- Tim
Ding, ding, ding, BINGO!

In my neck of the woods, Popular are the Trex 600 and the Raptor 50 in several variants, The SE, the Titan and now the Titan SE. Those are medium budget helis. Also the reason for being so popular.

Just like Tim said above, if you want real quality (higher budget), then you might need to look somewhere else, but then you are not looking at popular. I can bet there is a ratio of 5 to 1 or more of Raptor / Trex to any of the other ones mentioned (JR, MA, Hirobo).

Rafael
Old 07-10-2009, 05:42 PM
fadi

I see what you mean guys... Humm maybe then I am looking for more popular than expensive
Old 07-10-2009, 06:29 PM
tadawson

Keep in mind, that not as popular does not necessarily mean expensive! The Hirobo SDX is a very reasonably priced heli (as is the Vibe 50) that will outfly a TRex handily, for just a tad more $$$ going in, but will undoubtedly be cheaper in the long run since you don't have to buy all the "upgrades" to keep the TRex in the air . . . .

Align created the myth of "cheap" by putting out a shoddily made product, and then charging for the "upgrade" parts to make it what it should have been in the first place. The net result is that they get you hooked, and then bleed more money out of you than a better quality heli would have cost you in the first place.

- Tim
Old 07-11-2009, 04:22 PM
fadi

Align created the myth of ''cheap'' by putting out a shoddily made product, and then charging for the ''upgrade'' parts to make it what it should have been in the first place. The net result is that they get you hooked, and then bleed more money out of you than a better quality heli would have cost you in the first place.
I think I agree on that I've found that it is kind of useless to get the various standards kits of Trex, you have to go directly to the complete upgrade, for example 450PRO, 500ESP, etc...
I would prefer to shoot for a Vibe or an SDX in my case for a first nitro...
Old 07-12-2009, 01:18 AM
Druss

I think the thing to keep in mind here is that Align, regardless of quality, is great for the hobby. How many guys fly Align out there that can't afford Hirobo or JR or MA? Also, don't you think they've also had the effect of forcing those companies to lower their prices in order to stay competitive?

Aligns products aren't the best out there but they are affordable to more people PLUS there are so many that parts and technical support is huge. Sure they could put all the "upgrades" on there to begin with... but then how much would it cost? Align is very similar to Traxxas in RC cars/trucks, they don't make the best but they make them good enough and affordable.

Don't be the snob that degrades what others have just because yours is better. I'm saying this as both an align and hirobo owner. If companies like eflite, helimax, align... etc. didn't exist you'd have far fewer people in this hobby.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:40 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Vibe 50 is very high quality and is like flying a lexus.

Trex 600n is light, manuverable and parts are cheap, a pocket rocket if you will.

Raptor is tough like a Ford pickup, cheap, but a little heavier. (I've not seen or flown the new Titan but have heard great comments about it)

I have Raptors in my scale machines because they are easy to work on and very reliable.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:52 AM
fadi

Vibe 50 is really what i am currently attracted to, but had some intimidation to start my nitro experience directly with this model...
On the other hand, I am doing some research on the new Hirobo SDX.
Any comprehensive review that i can read or a live feedback from your side in this thread?