Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

motors and other hot stuff

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

motors and other hot stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 03:28 PM
two bit okie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motors and other hot stuff

Just flying my honey bee king 2 and low and behold, it plunked down and on its side, smokin to be the band.

The wires had melted out of the speed controller, and the brand new li-po battery was smoking. on inspection, the speed controller was literally toasted inside.

I dont how I did it, but what the hell.

My question is should I spend the 20 bucks to get the new speed controller. or spend the 65 smackers for the new brushless moter and speed controller.

for the techminded autopsy types, the stock controller is the esky ek2-0600. when it died, it melted the electrical tie that was holding it on, the cover off of the top, and wires going out to the motor. meltied right out of the block. can you say TOAST.

For the upgrade folks, what size and type of motor, out runner, or in runner. and why.

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: motors and other hot stuff

Good brushless systems run much cooler, are easier on lipos, and will last longer. I don't see why not
Old 10-17-2009, 02:23 AM
gnd2

If you search around you'll find that the stock brushed motor is generally considered worthless. Definitely do the brushless upgrade.

I don't know exactly why but usually outrunners are the way to go with helis. You can "trick it out" but if you're not doing "hard" 3d the standard esky BL motor and ESC works well enough and isn't too expensive.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:56 PM
hbkhelipilot

I to had the same problem with the stock motor just quiting on me. I then replaced it with a brushless 3100kv and new ESC. I have all the parts installed and now I can not get a goos smooth start with the motor. When I a plug in the battery I do not get the 3 bips that it should be, but get 2 bips the way it should be and then I get two quick bips. I am not sure what the problem would be. When I ad power to power up the motor does not start spinning but oscilates back and forth one or two teeth in ether direction.