Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Futaba 8UH & Telebee 701 gyro?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Futaba 8UH & Telebee 701 gyro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 06:19 PM
honda411
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 8UH & Telebee 701 gyro?

I currently have these on my century hawk. my question is, do I need the gyro function on in the transmitter, or use the ATV settings?
I have basically tried everything possible to get this thing to work. Even with the gyro gain all the way down, it still wanders, hunts, or even wags still. I put about -11 subtrim in the radio for rudder channel to stop the drift in the gyro. I have a futaba servo less than .10 speed(cant remember the number, because sticker fell off). And the linkage is about 15mm out on the servo arm. And it is mounted directly under the mainshaft. I just cant seem to find out what the problem is. Everything anyone suggest to try, I will try out to make it work. Or if someone knows what is causing this?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 PM
bikemad

Default RE: Futaba 8UH & Telebee 701 gyro?

I doubt your telebee giro has the setup for gain on the TX, how many plugs plug into your RX if you have two I'm wrong and use the gain setting on you TX but if you have one plug going to the RX and a bit on the giro saying gain then the TX setting wont matter,
as for you symptoms, you shouldn't have a wandering tail the same time as a wager, one is not enough gain or the trim wrong the other is to much gain,
are you expecting to much from a cheap giro?
is the servo ok, is it smooth,
does the giro work at all,
have you set the centre of the giro/servo to the centre of the tail rotor + a few degrees.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:10 AM
honda411

well, i have the gyro that has a black wire that goes to a module type box. The module has 3 connections. here is a picture of the module and gyro below. Here is the website to the gyro if you may wish. http://www.telebee.com.hk/TelebeeReview.htm

-and the tail wag is kinda small, but the heli tends to drift slowly as it wags a little. its not an excessive wag, but its confusing because if i do get the tail stable, how do i know its going to lock on in forward flight?
-and yes, maybe im expecting a perfect gyro. but it wont be as good as a 401 i know for sure. I figured it would be atleast half way descent though.
-my Rx manual says to turn on the gyro function, but the gyro say just plug into channel 5 and us the ATV settings for Rate and Heading Hold modes. its on a toggle switch also.
- I tried a high and low settings for the heading hold mode, and even at 30% gain on the HH mode still makes it wag a bit. I decreased the gain on the gyro housing itself, and still does, but not as much.
-So would i adjust the radio ATV setting for my gain? but what about the gyro gain screw on the case? where is it supposed to be?
I fly 450 class heli with mild 3D, but I am trying to get this gyro stuff right before i fly forward flight with it. This gyro has been in a minor crash before but did nothing to it. luckily my 450 didnt really need any adjusting.
I thank you a ton for replying and helping me out
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25641.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1325607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14128.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1325608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38252.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1325609   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45490.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1325610  
Old 12-03-2009, 04:03 PM
gnd2

You can use either the gyro function or ATV, it's mostly a matter of preference.

If you use ATV, disable the gyro function. If you use the gyro function, leave ATV at +/-100%. Don't mix the two.

ATV might be a little more straight forward to setup if you're having difficulty.

The gyro function will give you more options, like switching the gyro gain based on idle up, though I'm not familiar with your radio so I don't know the exact differences or features that it would offer.

You can do some 3D but not forward flight? That's a little odd 3D should be more demanding on the gyro than forward flight, not sure why you're worried about the forward flight.

If you can't find a radio setting that works well, you might need to look at the mechanical setup. Make sure all the linkages from the servo to the tail blades are operating smoothly with no binding or slop. If you can, you might need to move the servo linkage in closer. Faster servo and longer servo linkage have the same effect as higher gain in the gyro.

I think the gain adjustment on the gyro only matters when you're not connecting it to your aux channel. Having it connected overrides the manual setting on the gyro.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:35 PM
honda411

I finally did something that made it work out!
I had to put foam padding between the circuit boards inside the gyro, and around the whole inside of the case. And i also remounted it to the top of the tail boom on the frame. it seems to work perfectly with no wag or drift. I did use the ATV ch. 5 setting to adjust rate and HH.
Thanks a ton for helping me out. I greatly appreciate it
Old 12-06-2009, 08:53 PM
tippy

ORIGINAL: honda411

do I need the gyro function on in the transmitter, or use the ATV settings?
If you really have an 8UHx and not an 8UHxs (super) then you don't have the gyro menu option (per the Futaba website http://www.futabarc.com/manuals/notes-8u.html )