Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

T Rex Clones???

Old 05-10-2010, 01:11 AM
paterson1039

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T Rex Clones???

How are these "clones" are they really as good as their counterparts? What are their downfalls, and is it a good idea to buy the frame cheap and put good electronics in them? Usefull information please I am here to learn, thank you
Old 05-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Solman

Default RE: T Rex Clones???

I know a bunch of people who have done the clones with good results. I was going to buy one after one of my crashes, but they were out of stock of what wanted.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:03 AM
evan-RCU

First not all clones are alike. Some need some parts changed out with Align parts just to be able to fly safely. Most do not come with manuals or if they do they come with pirated Align manuals that may not be exactly right for the clone being assembled. Most clones are cheaper for a reason, most (all I know of) do not have as good of aluminium, machining, or quality of plastic parts or blades.

As far as the cost thing. If you are going to install good quality electronics, motor, ESC, servos, etc it may be cheaper to get an Align to start. if you already have the lectronics or do not like the performance of the Align supplied electronics (the 600ESP on 6S) it could be much cheaper to get a clone. There are many great deals on the Aligns and some retailers will even sell you a helo without certain electronics or with other electronics.

Do you have a specific size in mind and a specific clone?

There are other dedicated helo forums that you may find more info at and quicker replies.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:17 PM
paterson1039

I am looking at the 400-450 size. Isaw a few clones like the EXI brand and Copter X, for relatively cheap. my budget is under 200 shipped, and i do not need servo's, remote etc..
Old 05-10-2010, 06:04 PM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

http://www.targethobby.com/hobbymate...p-4161902.html

I have this one on the way from China town or wherever. You get everything but an RX and batteries for $174.01 shipped. Not a bad price for the whole shooting match and it's carbon and metal to boot.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:51 AM
tecboy

www.mikeysrc.com/Low-Cost-450-Heli.html

You can go to this link.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:32 PM
rotordoc1

ORIGINAL: green river rc
Not a bad price for the whole shooting match and it's carbon and metal to boot.
Kinda hard to really make that statement until you have had a couple of 100 flights on it don't you think??

As someone stated above, there are many different types (quality) of C/F, Plastics, aluminum's, radio, motors, ESC's etc. So until those here prove themselves to be up to the task of providing trouble free flights over a reasonable # of flights, your statement really is just speculation.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Solman

ORIGINAL: rotordoc1

Not a bad price for the whole shooting match and it's carbon and metal to boot.
Kinda hard to really make that statement until you have had a couple of 100 flights on it don't you think??

As someone stated above, there are many different types (quality) of C/F, Plastics, aluminum's, radio, motors, ESC's etc. So until those here prove themselves to be up to the task of providing trouble free flights over a reasonable # of flights, your statement really is just speculation.
I believe it is the electronics that are going the hardest problem over time. CF, aluminum, plastics usually don't have much of an issue over time unless you crash. That is where the real stresses come into play for materials. The electronic part is a different story.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:07 PM
green river rc

I'm willing to chance it, I'll let you guys know how it goes, should be here next week.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Solman

I talked to my LHS and asked him about clones. Basically what he said is that the tolerances are not going to be as good and quality control may lack. Hence the cheaper price.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 PM
paterson1039

OK, I have been doing a lot of research, and from what i see, the clones tend to be manufactured in a hurried process... No locktight, bad instructions.. etc.. etc.. I am looking for a carbon fiber frame, with alloy head and tail. I am trying to choose between the tarot 450, or the copter X. I am willing to take the time and tear down the copter 100% to check every nut and bolt (I feel its part of learning your heli) and locktight where needed. I already have a scorpion motor and exceed 30 amp esc and HITEC servos from my crashed Exceed G2... after having a frame crack in half in flight, i want to get something with a Carbon frame, but seeing as i am making about 11 dollars an hour in california, i have a limited budget, hence me watching Ebay for last 3 weeks trying to get a barebone Trex 450... with no luck under 150 shipped....
Old 05-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Solman

Yea, you would be hard pressed to find one for that price.  It would be nice though.  My LHS has a kit for $325.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:04 AM
evan-RCU

Call the major players, you should be able to find a bare bones Trex they'd sell cheap.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:52 PM
evan-RCU

$258 for a Trex450 with motor, ESC, and good carbon blades...

http://www.performanceplusrc.com/ser...0-Sport/Detail
Old 07-23-2010, 12:43 AM
RCKindaGuy

A good clone shop I found out of Australia that has an eBay storefront is:

http://stores.ebay.com.au/FAIRPRICEHELIS

Old 07-28-2010, 07:33 PM
cloudrider

Hi, looking for 450 clone stuff, than take a look at whats on offer at
http://www.wingswheelsandrotors.com/
http://www.hobbyking.com/
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/
Clone 450 CNC parts are obtainable from around the planet through ebay
Good RC equipment that will provide flight control for a 6/7 channel 3D helicopter, needs to be functional and reliable rather than expensive.

Regards cloudrider
Old 07-29-2010, 02:07 PM
dude7422

hi guys hay my older brother just bought a hobby king hk450 3 weeks ago
its very nice.. i say "NICER" then my EXI 450 (FRAME IS SMOOTH NOT XXX like the exi )
but it still needed aluminum tail servo mounts aluminum anti rotation braket
...the aluminum tail servo mt is 3 dollars
Old 07-29-2010, 03:02 PM
GuitarPlayer

Might take a look at this one. Be aware of the shipping costs.

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=9062
Old 08-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Condor060

Hey Fellas, Hope you don't mind if I chime in here. I fly for RC Aerodyne and I am currently flying all of my scale helos with their Full House Heli 600. These are interchangeable with all Trex parts. I don't work for Aerodyne and yes, you could say I am (most times) guilty of promoting their products (obviously) but with that being said, the FHH series airframes are the absolute best Trex clones I have seen.
The really nice part is the parts are about half the cost of Trex parts but any Trex part will fit in a pinch. The 600 electric is $269.00 bucks and it includes carbon frames and blades, full metal head, blade and tail grips, all metal bearing retainers, torque tube and full metal tail rotor setup. You can find them at www.scaleflying.com.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ALtMI3KA8k[/youtube]
Old 08-07-2010, 12:00 PM
dude7422

http://www.targethobby.com/hobbymate...p-4161902.html

I have this one on the way from China town or wherever. You get everything but an RX and batteries for $174.01 shipped. Not a bad price for the whole shooting match and it's carbon and metal to boot.

gr if the rest of heli is as good as hm motors you will be very happy