Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Gyro Question

Old 07-27-2010, 07:27 PM
RC RedHots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro Question

It may be a dumb question but!

Should I setup the tail in headlock or in rate mode, and adjust the servo for hover.

I have it setup in rate mode and hovers great with a little tail drift.

When I switch from rate mode to head lock I notice the slider moves to the tail boom.

I have not tried to hover in head lock.

Thanks RCREDHOTS

Let me add to my question can it be setup in headlock and rate mode and be able to switch from one to the other without adding any trim vs versa.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:45 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Gyro Question

Us older people set it up in rate or when the servo and linkage are "0 and 90" there is a slight gap when yo ufold the blades. Newer pilots ignor it and most systems fly fine ignoring it.

Me, I'm more comfortable setting the gap, I feeel the system is better centered that way.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:10 AM
rotor09

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....Newer pilots ignor it and most systems fly fine ignoring it.
The problem with ignoring it is that you risk setting it up with your servo horn installed on the servo at 90 degrees, when the servo is NOT at it's neutral.

I have even seen them installed such that there was only 10 degrees of throw in one direction with 50 in the other!!!

Yet it will fly OK until you try to yaw in one direction compared to the other or the gyro tries to feed enough rudder in that one direction that may be required to keep the tail from blowing out. There will be far less control one way then the other, Consequently there will be many more times when the heli's tail will blow out when worked hard. That is why you will find some say a certain model of gyro blows out in fast backward flight, while others say it does not, (this will even effect the consistency of the piro rate in certain maneuvers).

So though it may seem to work under less demanding situations, it will not be working near as well as it can if properly set-up mechanically in Yaw-rate mode first for no drift in the hover.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:27 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Put it in rate mode
Make sure the arm is 90 degrees to the rod.
Make sure the tail pitch slider is centered.
Put it in heading hold and go fly.

There's other ways to do it but that works. Setting up a nuetral hover in rate mode on small helis on a 401 just limits your pitch throw.