RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/)
-   -   Governor GV-1 Setup with IX12 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/11699143-governor-gv-1-setup-ix12.html)

Mark071704 05-08-2022 07:10 AM

Governor GV-1 Setup with IX12

I need some help setting up the governor 3 position switch with my ix12. It's an older raptor 50 size with a gy401 gyro. It was given to me by a friend. I am plane guy so first time setting up a heli. He flew it with the setup on it including a spektrum receiver so I know it works. I just need to setup my radio for it. Thanks.

bjr_93tz 06-19-2022 07:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Sorry I can't really help other than to suggest finding manuals for you TX and GV-1 and spend some time reading.
Attachment 2271909

If it's anything like the governor in the Futaba CGY750 then it shouldn't be too difficult but there are a lot of options and you have to decide what you want to do. I don't use the throttle stick position to enable the governor and I have the enable on a separate switch. I have a three different headspeeds on a 3 position switch which is also set up for my 3 conditions (hover, sport, 3D). Each of those conditions has their own throttle curve, so by having the governor enable on a separate switch, I can choose to fly a throttle curve or governed headspeed for each condition.

The key is, the governor takes both throttle data (from your throttle curve channel) and head speed data (from a multi-position switch connected to another channel) and you can tell it (via a 3rd channel) which one you want to control your throttle servo.

I also attached a small plate with magnets to a small DC motor to simulate a running motor for bench testing because the governor in the CGY750 won't engage until it sees a certain RPM percentage. I could then test the upper and lower throttle travel limits and behaviour by increasing or decreasing the motor speed.

Something I've stumbled on with the CGY750 governor (V1.31 software) when using it with a nitro is that it optimises the throttle curve data it's receiving to maintain the head speed when operating in governed mode. While it will govern acceptably with whatever throttle position data it's receiving, it governs better if the throttle curve data is close to ideal. That's something I'm going to explore a bit deeper. My only prior experience with governors on helis has been electric where you run a flat throttle curve which determines your set head speed.

Despite being 99% confident everything was going to do what I wanted it to, it was still pretty nerve wracking flipping those switches for real when in the air and hoping the engine wasn't going to so something silly.

Being your first time setting up a heli, I'd be really tempted to configure the governor so that it just passes the throttle channel straight through to the throttle servo and fly it with throttle curves at first. Throttle curves will be fine for hovering, tuning the motor (because you know what the throttle is doing) and general sport flying.