RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/)
-   -   What's more important to get first? Gyro/Governer/Radio/Servos (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/269301-whats-more-important-get-first-gyro-governer-radio-servos.html)

RS2K 09-14-2002 12:20 AM

What's more important to get first? Gyro/Governer/Radio/Servos

Ok I have a gyro that needs upgraded, I have an 8411I have a radio that needs upgraded, and I have a rappy with a 50 that could use a governer.

I can't afford all at once but I know that I really do need to upgrade. I have one JR DS8411 on collective and Futaba 3001s everywhere else. I have a Futaba G501 gyro (older non HH version). I have a FP-T7UAF for a radio.

I am just starting aerobatics with my rappy 50 and when ever I go upside down my REVO goes backwards and I loose tail control, another problem is overspeeding when I have it in idle up and am inverted. But I still need to learn how to auto.

I can only afford to upgrade one thing right now, what should I upgrade?

N71505 09-14-2002 12:41 AM

I'd put my money on a tail servo ... this is an un-educated guess mind you, but most of my issues are coming from a tail servo not being up to the task. The plan here is a new Futaba digital, I haven't figured out wich one yet, but my gyro calls for something with .11/60 speed, or better. (have been secretly planning a carbon blade upgrade soon too).

Furyflyer2 09-14-2002 12:47 AM

Go with the Futaba 9253 servo.

RS2K 09-14-2002 12:48 AM

Well, ok. I guess I'll order one then. What should I get after that?

N71505 09-14-2002 12:50 AM

Thank you .. I will.

heliguy 09-14-2002 03:22 AM

Raydee 09-14-2002 06:14 PM

Gyro/tail servo combo first
Then GV-1
Last other servo's with Radio.

optech 09-15-2002 02:52 AM

Get the tail under control first. Either learn how to set-up your revo mixes or go get a gy401/9253 combo. There are ways to set-up the old gyros to work well (like overdriving) but in the end you would really need a radio with lots of mixing capabilites. In either case you still need a fast rudder servo to get the most out them though.

Forget the GV-1 for now. It'd be better if you learn how to set-up a pitch and throttle curve. If the .50 is too much at full throttle back the curve off. There is no law that says your throttle HAS to be at 100% on your top curve point. There is no substitute for experience. Both of my .50 size 3D beaters do not have govenors. I only broke down and bought some for my FAI ships because at that point I knew they would only compliment what I already knew and the advantage gained would help me in competition. If your worried about head speed during 3D manuvers, get a radio that will let you mix a cyclic-to-throttle function. Also, work on not slamming the cyclic sticks. Learn to use only enough to get the manuver done and use the collective a little more. You CAN learn to fly without a govenor.

After the gyro, go for the servo upgrade or better yet, get the servo and radio together. Besides, to get the most functionality out of the govenor you need a 8 channel radio. Channels 7 and 8 let you toggle the govenor on and off and let you control different head speeds. There are ways to around this but you lose total control.

Somewhere during all this you'll need good blades as well.

Once you have a good gyro, good servos, good radio, and good blades, then go for the govenor if you really feel you need it.

Mike

Flunkyone 09-15-2002 01:21 PM

I would get the GV1 first. You will not be able to get the heli in the air without it. I have read that on these forums many times that a GV1 is an absolute must have on a heli.

Scotty740 09-15-2002 01:42 PM

Here's what I'd do in order.

1. Get the GY401 with 9253 servo. I don't know why you'd want the servo with that old gyro. It would be just a waste.

2. Go with a newer computer radio like the 9C or 8103.

3. Get the GV-1 to control over speeding if you want instead of curves in the radio. Having backup curves is a good idea anyway so you should have them in place.

RS2K 09-15-2002 01:50 PM

OK, it seems like the consenus is get a good tail first. Then just learn to get my head under control myself. (Makes sence) I'm going to try mixing my rudder to my throttle first just so I know how to do it and then I'll get the GY401/9253 combo. Once I learn more about the curves I'll decide if I want to go with a governer or not.

Thanks a lot for the help!

twguns 09-15-2002 01:51 PM

Way off base with the

I have read that on these forums many times that a GV1 is an absolute must have on a heli.
... BS...

A governor IS NOT necessary to fly any model... They certainly help in most models, but in reality, a very small percentage of people use them...

Get the gyro/tail servo combo first, and then a better radio/ servo setup... If at that time you still feel that you MUST have a governor, then go for it... It is the LEAST important of you choices...

When you get that 401 combo, look at the "401" post on this forum for a link to a good piece on setting up the 401...

optech 09-15-2002 08:32 PM

Twguns,
Its good that you pointed out a misconception but for any further discussion, Flunkyone is a troll. He's just trying get people all worked up. Ignore him and he'll go away.

Mike

CrAzYfLyEr-RCU 09-15-2002 10:41 PM

wow,i must be God!!!!...my heli gets in the air just fine without a governor

vort3x 09-16-2002 07:31 PM

Hi RS2K

Optech has some great comments...

My advice:

You don't need a governor. You need to find someone to help you setup your throttle curves, and engine mixture properly. A governor is an added element of complexity, and expense. If you don't have the engine mixture set up just right, the governor will not function properly. Save the $$ for a new radio/tx.

Digital servos are nice, but not necessary. I would abandon using the 8411 from listening to all of the recent servo failures.

The 401/9253 is one of the best tail control systems available. If you can afford it, go for it!

A capable transmitter can make a big improvement!

I run my Raptor 50 with the TT 50 engine, TT muffler, Airtronics Stylus tx, Airtronics 777 rx, CSM 360 gyro, JR 4131's on cyclic, JR 4721 on collective, Futaba 9301 on the tail, and Futaba 148 bb on the throttle. The airframe is stock, except for Funkey fiberglass 600mm blades, KSJ paddles, remote glow, and a header tank.

RS2K 09-17-2002 05:10 AM

Well I'm going to be getting a GY401/9253 combo soon along with two 9252 digital servos for cyclic. I'll just keep my 8411 on my collective and hope for the best, when JR starts the recall I'll have it fixed. Since I only have it installed in a 50 and I can only do very simple aerobatics I think it will be fine till then.

Culverson 09-17-2002 11:24 AM

I saw a combo on I believe a Hawaiian site for $180.00, but I just wonder if its the warrantied Futaba stuff. There are some gyro's floating around I know about that are the real thing cheap but I will not go into that. David from AL knows the story on this, but I believe the heli shop in Haiwai has good quality stuff.

Furyflyer2 09-17-2002 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Culverson
I saw a combo on I believe a Hawaiian site for $180.00, but I just wonder if its the warrantied Futaba stuff. There are some gyro's floating around I know about that are the real thing cheap but I will not go into that. David from AL knows the story on this, but I believe the heli shop in Haiwai has good quality stuff.

The items you buy overseas are warrantied overseas no problem. You just send it back to them and they will get it fixed.

Culverson 09-17-2002 11:59 AM

I'm flying one from overseas, I believe I paid abot $38.00 S/H and cost was very reasonable for Futana gyros. But like FF said, it would have to go back were I bought it for repairs but still worth it? According to the individual I suppose..