RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/)
-   -   Does anyone recognize this Schluter? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/514866-does-anyone-recognize-schluter.html)

larrytoelle 01-28-2003 04:16 AM

Does anyone recognize this Schluter?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Just bought this .60 heli off of Ebay and have absolutely no idea of what the model is or whether it's even useful.

I'm new to helis ... and am still grinding the ground with G2. I've got two Hawk IIIs that will be my trainers ... one to fly ... one for parts ... LOL.

The ad said it had Futaba servos and gyro ... but they didn't respond to my last minute questions re: models. Their ad indicated an OS .61 ... and that's about all I know.

It's supposed to have a bunch of parts with it ... but again ... what parts?

Hate to say what I paid ... but ... my research seemed to indicate that Schluter/Robbe were good names and pretty expensive ... so ... now I'm really really curious about what I just purchased.

Any help would be appreciated ....

Thanks

larrytoelle 01-28-2003 04:18 AM

Another pic of Schluter

1 Attachment(s)
Another pic

Dyehard 01-28-2003 04:49 AM

It's a Schuelter Champion. In it's day (mid eighties), it was a decent flying, fairly dependable heli. It is quite outdated now, though it could still be flown as a sport heli. Getting some parts for it may be a problem.

larrytoelle 01-28-2003 04:57 AM

Oh Great :mad: ... LOL

I was all excited ... but hey ... I'm not even a sport flyer yet ... so maybe it'll do me just fine. It seems to have a whole bunch of parts with it ... or so one of the photos show ... so maybe I won't be out that much. (just talking to myself now ... grrr)

Thanks for responding ... this helicopter hobby (obsession) has been very educational ... so far.

Back to G2 and the land of a thousand crashes ...

Galifrey 01-28-2003 08:13 AM

I know MKhelicentre in the UK has quite a lot of schluter champion parts...

You may be able to find a good stock stateside as well, but if not, I am sure he will mail order parts you require..

FLYBOY 01-28-2003 04:11 PM

Robbe Modelsport used to import them. You might find them and ask some questions. I used to fly only Schluter. they were great machines. Sold them all a couple years ago, but that is only because I am flying new machines now. It will fly fine. They are nice helis.

larrytoelle 01-28-2003 04:47 PM

Thanks for the info on MKhelicentre ... I'll file it away ...

There seems to be some parts around, and from a Yahoo list, there's still people flying them and there are others that show up "for sale" as parts ... so maybe this isn't that bad of a deal after all ... I didn't spend that much, so I'm not hurt by any stretch ... unless it arrives as a total wreck.

Since I'm getting a little "long in the tooth" ... think I'll enjoy a heli that has the same affliction. Now I only hope it's in the shape that was advertised. This is after al, only an obsession ... er hobby.

Take care ... and again, thanks for the help ...

Rotoman 01-29-2003 05:12 AM

Hey, this reminds me of my first helicopter days. I had a heli-boy which is even more ancient then this Champion. Champion had the heli-boy beat about a dozen times over. Anyway. I just happen to have a jillion parts for Schulter everything from days goneby. If anyone has a hardware item they need and can't find...beep me. I inherited about four parts bins from and old schluter dealer some years back. Most of the stuff just won't work on my JR choppers. Tons of screws, bolts, cooling fans, flybar spindles, pushrods, threaded rods, you name it. I got basically no use for most of it. If you can accurately describe what your looking for I will send for CHEAP anything I can find. Lots of my parts are in Schluter bags with part numbers on them. Also..If anyone needs subassemblys for a Superior. I got a servicable tail rotor assembly, clutch, swashplate., Main shaft, and all the bearings and bearing blocks. I hate to see them go to waste if there is someone in the world who can use them. Larry.

larrytoelle 01-29-2003 07:16 AM

Rotoman,

Great!! I'll keep your offer in mind. If you feel compelled to get rid of those parts in bulk, please contact me. I'd hate to lose track of them.

I have a stinking suspicion this is going to be a project that will require many hours of research. Years ago, I restored an old Jaguar XK150 ... it ended up to be somewhat of an obsession ... but ... in the end, it was a labor of love and it was better than new when I finished it.

These helicopters ... likewise ... are becoming a bit of an obsession as ... but ... I'm loving it. I put my toe in the water with a used Century Hawk III, then another new(still in kit actually) HawkIII with a little used TT.46 and the upgrades to make it a Falcon.

I really wanted a newer .60, but the price and the ad got me hooked. Schluter was apparently a high quality bird in its day, and apparently Robbe has continued the tradition. Certainly, I'd love to have a new Robbe .60, but I'm not ready to risk a couple of thousand dollars on a trainer.

Still working with G2 ... nose-in hovering is about to drive me crazy, but getting better by the day. Servo mixes are still a mystery, but I'm beginning to understand the principles ... or at least I think I am.

Anyway ... thanks for the reply and I've got you on my list of contacts. It's nice to know that there are people who can recall these old birds. I'm out of town for the rest of the week, but it will be here when I get back.

Take care ....

Dr.Ben 01-29-2003 10:03 PM

I had a Champion in 1986.

If you can keep the tail boom in place with the hose clamp affiar, the model is almost indestructable in the air. BOMB PROOF clutch and auto unit, all ali head, flat frame construction. Really needs more bearings in the tail grips, but that's not a big safety issue b/c the tail ratio was pretty low (need big tail blades to do the job).

You might be surprised what Robbe USA has in stock for parts. Heli North is also a good source for older Schulter models.

BTW, that Schluter tail that was mentioned will fit the Champion, and it has a double ball bearing tail grip assembly. The clutch, fan, etc. are also the same. Swash is different. Same auto hub and maingear.

Ben Minor

440GTX 01-30-2003 12:54 AM

Schluter Champion

If you need. I have the plans and the part description and numbers for the Champion

e-mail if you could use them

Fred..

larrytoelle 01-31-2003 01:07 AM

Thanks all for the helpful info ...

I'll look into the tail rotor ... as well as into other things that I know absolutely nothing about ... LOL

This is one heck of a hobby ... and one fine bunch of people that are involved with it. I hope in time that I can help contribute ... and pay back.

Cougar-RCU 01-31-2003 02:02 AM

Schuelter Champion

Aww My very First 60 Size in the 80's :D
GREAT HELI!
Jeff

MikeMas 02-01-2003 11:09 PM

The Schluter Champion was and still is one of the best helicopters Schluter built. I flew them for almost 5 years. In addition, the Champion is almost "bullet-proof" nothing breaks!

I Think "Helicopters Unlimited" in the only place to get spares - if any are left!

larrytoelle 02-01-2003 11:26 PM

Mike,

Thanks for the info ...

I looked for Helicopters Unlimited and only found their address in CT. I'll drop them a note and see if they're still in business.

The heli still hasn't arrived, although I've received the UPS tracking stuff ... so any day now. I'm sure I'll have questions when it arrives.

Take care ....

larrytoelle 02-01-2003 11:34 PM

Mike,

BTW ... I looked up www.rotory.com ... and subscribed to your magazine and even ordered your book ...

Thanks ... just what I needed ...

Larry

MikeMas 02-02-2003 12:08 AM

Your Welcome,

I forgot to mention - I still have the two Champions that I flew at the FAI Heli World Championships in Switzerland. Tell ya what - if they would re-introduce the Champion, I would start flying them again today!

Dan_nO 03-12-2004 06:35 AM

RE: Does anyone recognize this Schluter?

Hey Larry, ummmm, what does it say right on the front of the instruction book LOL...Champion :)

I have one myself, and also an old Heliboy, i learned on the heliboy, it was loose and worn out, when i built the Champion and picked it up off of the ground i didnt know what to think, it was solid as a rock !

If you have any questions, ya can email me, im still flyin my Champion !

Oh, and i just recently got a Futura Gold, havent gotten it into the air yet....and the mention of Heli North, ive bought a LOT of parts off of John and he has a lot of parts ! I can put ya in touch with him if ya need :)

Danny

larrytoelle 03-12-2004 09:28 AM

Howdy Dan_nO,

Jeez ... this thread brings back a lot of memories.

Since posting this ... I've gone through a bunch of fuel ... perhaps 6-8 different helicopters ... and some of the best fun I've ever had.

I still have this Champion ... and flies it regularly ... although not yet this year.

Mike Mas's Rotory.com is my favorite spot on the web ... and I regularly visit RCU, RR and other heli hangouts.

Thanks for posting this ... and reminding me of where things got started ...

LT

DustOffUH1 03-12-2004 02:58 PM

BTW ... I looked up www.rotory.com ... and subscribed to your magazine
Its a GREAT high quality, well written, and very well informed magazine. I think its the best RC Helicopter magazine out there :D Even down to the paper they use, nice thick quality pages. I know its a bit off subject, but I saw your comment & you won't be dissapointed.
Joe

realtorjdf 12-12-2004 10:32 AM

Hello,
I was looking for some help identifying my heli I would like if you could respond to my forum there is a picture of my heli-Thanks

Cougar-RCU 12-12-2004 02:24 PM

Well. If you could take the Canopy Off and a Picture with better light
That might help........ BUT it looks like a Xcell 40 to me.. not sure
without a better picture..
Jeff

realtorjdf 12-12-2004 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope this picture helps a little more-thanks

Cougar-RCU 12-12-2004 06:34 PM

Ummmm, There should be somebody a long soon. Nope, not a Xcell
I do notice the Belt drive tho..
Jeff

realtorjdf 12-12-2004 06:49 PM

Thanks for your help,I bought this on ebay about 2 months ago and the guy said it was given to him and he never flew it so he did not know either.on the alerons it says schluter but I quess that mean maybe it is.I will tell you it has some fantastic eqipment in it such as a 501 gyro and a pcm reciever,v blades ys 61 motor,but I just can't seem to find out what it is,thanks for your responses!