RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/)
-   -   Best Li-Poly Charger? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/5786251-best-li-poly-charger.html)

chazdraves 04-29-2007 07:18 AM

Best Li-Poly Charger?

I've had my E-Flite Celectra chargers for some while now, but they bother me in that they won't (even though they have a switch for it) charge at 2A and the beeping noise they make drives my wife nutty.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a nice charger, and I'd love to find one that could even charge three batteries or so - if that's possible, but I don't know what's hot vs. not in Li-Po chargers. I have 3 Thunder Power 11.1v 2100mah batteries and would like a balancer if possible.

Thanks for all the help, guys! I'm clueless when it comes to chargers. All opinions are welcomed and encouraged!

- Chaz

chazdraves 04-29-2007 07:40 AM

RE: Best Li-Poly Charger?

Here's one, for example, that strikes me:

http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=109293

- Chaz

chazdraves 04-29-2007 09:08 PM

Gosh, I'm usually hard pressed to find a message board without any opinions...

Come on, folks! Whaddya like out there? What's the best money-is-no-option charger out there? What's the number 1 bang-for-your-buck?

Thanks, guys!
- Chaz

chazdraves 05-01-2007 10:59 AM

I guess I'm alone here...?

- Chaz

HeliTB 05-01-2007 11:21 AM

I love my thunder power charger TP425 and balancer TP205. I will be purchasing the thunder power 1010c next week and I believe that's the best lipo charger.

chazdraves 05-02-2007 06:31 PM

I've been eyeing that one as well.

I appreciate the feedback, I'm not sure why everyone else here is so nervous to post their .02

Regards,
- Chaz

mrasmm 05-02-2007 07:40 PM

I looked up a charger for lipo once that will charge up to 4 packs at the same time. I posted it over in the battery forum somewhere.

It sounds to me though if you have Tp, then the easiest thing would be to go with TP. TP has a proprietary adaptor that not alot of other companies use, and so if you wanted to use a different charger with them, then you would either have to charge through the battery connector and balance them seperately, or worry about adaptors.

If you are willing to do those, then that opens up the market to alot of chargers.

What's your budget, and will you be charging anything other than lipos?

credence 05-02-2007 08:08 PM

The TP1010 seems to be one of the best chargers out at the moment.

I've not tried one my self, but they're getting great reviews all over :).

DebianDog 05-03-2007 07:06 AM

I have (2) 1010C's I bought them because all the "electric pros" seemed to like them. I have no complaints. Plug and play with a data link to the balancer. If you do something wrong or the pack is messed up it will not initiate the charging cycle.

They are supposed to come out with an upgrade for A123 and/or Nicad packs soon but you will need to purchase a data cable.

chazdraves 05-03-2007 07:35 AM

I see.

I've heard quite a bit about the 1010, and it seems like a good value.

Whether I need a charger for other types or not kind of hinges on what I decide over in the "I want YOUR opinion!" thread. If I end up going Nitro, I'm going to want something for receiver packs as well.

As regards the budget: right now it's basically nothing. I just had a crash with a Venture 30 (well, that was ignorance) and a REX450SE that did a fair bit of damage to my check book, but I'd still like to get some opinions now so I know later.

Thanks, guys!
- Chaz

DebianDog 05-03-2007 03:57 PM

I run lipo Rx packs in 2 of my helicopters :D

chazdraves 05-03-2007 06:22 PM

Which I would call a stellar idea, Sir!

Is there anything one should know about regulators, as long as you brought it up? I don't want to de-rail this thread, but you caught my curiousity.

Regards,
- Chaz

DebianDog 05-03-2007 07:57 PM

$17 and a 6 amp limit is hard to beat! Makes my Duralight solution look expensive!
http://www.readyheli.com/K10364A_Ext..._p/k10364a.htm

chazdraves 05-03-2007 08:57 PM

Goodness, Sir! If I'm not careful, you just might sell me on one of these ruddy 600's! :)

- Chaz

credence 05-03-2007 10:51 PM

No reason why not ;).

The rex 600 is an incredibly good flyer. Has a very "locked in" feeling and it's really very smooth. I love mine, and the price is right for an electric if you compare it to the other options out there :).