RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/)
-   -   Century Hawk Pro first flights (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/7433624-century-hawk-pro-first-flights.html)

bec123 04-28-2008 11:30 PM

Century Hawk Pro first flights

Hello
I flew my hawk pro this evening and it was nice. I have been flying the cp pro sporadically so this was a good transition. I have the os37 and have it set close, will have some heli guys help me with that. The hawk hovers at half throttle and is stable. I put into forward flight and it was stable and flew were I pointed it. The futaba 401 works very well. I was nervous but thought gotta go for it, and really enjoyed the flights, I had 3 approx 12 min flights, with hovering and flying. I would really recommend this heli to newbies, but again I do not have alot of experience with other helis. It was alot less twitchy compared to the cp pro and certainly had a much nicer sound in the blades hehehe heli rap. anyways I picked up alot of pointers on this site, so thanks to all as the pro flew and I had a great time,,,,also the guys watching enjoyed it also....note the wind was approx 25km with gusts to 35km and it had no problem even hovering cross wind....................looking forward to next nice day

bec

evan-RCU 04-29-2008 08:15 AM

RE: Century Hawk Pro first flights

Everything you say it spot on. The Century is an excellent flying helo, especially considering the cost.

jamesc43 04-29-2008 10:08 AM

My first heli was a Century Hawk. This was prior to the Pro version and a couple before that. It
was used and was the perfect machine to learn on. They are good flying machines and not very
expensive.

I think the big thing you are noticing from the cp pro to the Hawk is the weight differnce which
makes it handle the wind better and the relatively greater craftsmanship in the build. That blade
sound a fantastic. I think this is something you miss on an electric heli because the rotor speed
is so high.

Congrats on the flights.

syclic 04-29-2008 01:40 PM

amesc43

Thank you for the report, you know that happy grin you had on your face while flying - the Century fans on RR call it the Perma-grin [)]

That little heli will serve you well I am sure , and give you a lot of self-confidence as you progress.

jamesc43 04-29-2008 06:08 PM

syclic,

I upgraded from the Hawks to a used Ergo 60 about 5 years ago. I wanted to do a little more 3D
work and the Ergo was a better platform for the extreme manuvers. I had been trying to upgrade
it with a 90 but that never happened. Last year I upgraded to a used Freya 90. It flyies liek a dream
at my home 6500 ft altitude.

syclic 04-30-2008 07:48 PM

jamesc43

I love my Predator Max90...it6 is an awesome 3D animal.

I think you would be very impressed with the 3D capability of the current Hawk Pro, specially with the big increase in power afforded by the OS37 or Toki 40 engines, compared to the OS32 from a few years ago.

I use mine as my "beater"...whenever I want to practice new maneuvers I will use it...it is capable of some pretty extreme 3D.

It is not as Precise in everything as my Raven 50 or Preditor, but it still can really perform well, and holds together through it all very well also. :)

I never thought they would ever get a good enough power to weight ratio from a 30, but with the light Hawk airframe and these more powerful engines this 30 size heli really comes alive. I also find that due to its light disc loading it is also a real treat to auto.

I actually found it better then some of the 60's I had in the past.

bec123 07-08-2008 11:32 PM

Hello All
I flew my hawk pro for the 29th flight tonite. I actually had 4 flights. My spectrum rx battery was low after 4. I have been doing figure 8's both ways, circles both ways, hovering high/low and doing spins and some stall turns...WELL I also did my first loops this evening, I flicked the switch to 3d mode and was going to just fly and get used to that but it was feeling so good and flying well so I decided to go for it,,,,,,,,,,hehhehe they were not the biggest loops but they were loops, did about 6. My hawk is having a tendency to climb in forward flight?? I have put in down elevator but still climbs?? balance seems ok... I am runnign a bit rich but it seems when I lean it out it blows plugs,,,I may be able to lean it out a bit more but it is flying good....It tached at 1800 hover and 2000 flying, this is on 10% fuel. Well anyways it was a fun night and I can see myself enjoying more nights like this and prob more helis heheheh......

bec123

bec123 07-15-2008 01:09 PM

Hello
Went flying Sunday all was well....Had 3-4 flights doing figure 8's etc and doing loops, I then did a roll and it went realativly well, and then the engine died,,,,well I thought it was coming in slow then I realized it was coming in like a jet, flared more and the tail fin caught the soft dirt and flipped it on its side,,,,,I will practice auto's more on simulator,,,,about $50 in damage,,,So after having this happen I decided to fix the heli so I ordered the parts and thought this can happen again so I ordered a whole other hawk pro kit also. Don't know if it makes sense but the whole heli is only $220 and I can see as one trys new manuovers that I may need a variety of parts.....oh well part of the hobby.....still having fun

bec

kilr95ss 07-15-2008 06:01 PM

Im still a newbie, just past hovering stage. From those with more experience then me, its best to hover at 3/4th throttle, that way when you advance to areobatics, there will be no learning curve. 1/2 throttle for 3D is 0 pitch.

Just my $.02

gfyss 07-29-2008 04:48 PM

Do you have a header tank? Straight and level is just fine without one, but any aerobatics are just about guaranteed to suck air at some point. I put mine just above the main tank. That position tends to force-feed fuel to the carb if you aren't careful, but once started, things run fine. My Hawk Pro died a spectacular death last month. Full power negative pitch into the ground from about 30' (radio problem)[&o]. I really liked it, but am saving up to get a 50. Not sure which one yet.

Good luck!

syclic 07-29-2008 06:16 PM

gfyss

If you liked the Hawk Pro, and are looking for a 50, you will love the Raven 50 - as it is more of a smaller Predator 90 then a bigger Hawk Pro.:)