RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/)
-   -   Yamaha RMAX Crash - Killed a person (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/8986657-yamaha-rmax-crash-killed-person.html)

jasonsjwou 08-03-2009 02:21 PM

Yamaha RMAX Crash - Killed a person

A yamaha RMAX industrial RC helicopter crashed and killed one person in Korea.

http://media.paran.com/snews/newsvie...0090803&dir=26

This RMAX belongs to NongHyup (South Korean Farmer's association bureau).

It was to spray pesticides over rice fields in Korea on Aug 3, 2009. Now knowing exactly what happened, but it crashed and a bystander got hit. Section of broken main rotor penetrated his abdominal area, caused excessive bleeding and ended up claiming his life.

http://photonews.paran.com/newsphoto...02848643_0.jpg

BarracudaHockey 08-03-2009 02:31 PM

RE: Yamaha RMAX Crash - Killed a person

Thats horrible news.

However it should be noted that thing is far from something a typical modeler would be flying.

TCipolla 08-03-2009 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Thats horrible news.

However it should be noted that thing is far from something a typical modeler would be flying.
Exactly. That thing is huge and I'm sure it has a huge price tag too. Way out of most modelers leagues.

R0bBeckett 08-03-2009 03:10 PM

While the story is indeed bad news. I'd love to have one of these. I can imagine buzzing my neighbors homeswith that huge Heli.

evan-RCU 08-03-2009 04:08 PM

And in breaking news R/C helicopters have been banned in Fresno California. :D

jasonsjwou 08-03-2009 04:10 PM

Yamaha-Hirobo RMAX system carries price tag of whopping $80,000+.

So yes it is out of league for all hobbiests, even for Curtis Youngblood himself.

But it is a sad story indeed. I wonder if this was a human error or system error.

Back in my days, I personally witnessed two RC Chopper VS Human crashes.

1. X-CEL Pro with carbon fiber blades crashed into a parking lot, broke arm of a spectator and shattered windshield of his car.

2. Concept 30 crashed into the pilot while he was practicing a nose-in hover. He walked off embarrassed but unharmed, because he had thick jacket on (It was winter) and the Concept 30 back in the old days had foam blades.

bikemad 08-03-2009 07:50 PM

yep foam blades were good, I know I miss them, they saved me once, and so cheap as well, just right for park flyers, 400s,

sheograth 08-05-2009 12:37 PM

Sad news.

But yeah, the Rmax isn't really a "hobby product" so much as an actual piece of industrial equipment. It sure is a brilliant unit though.

panzertank 08-07-2009 11:13 PM

wow crazy stuff. thats things just so awesome looking though. . i wonder what kind of engine something like that has. has to be turbine for sure

Charlie 08-08-2009 06:51 AM

i wonder what kind of engine something like that has. has to be turbine for sure
Quote: The RMAX mounted a liquid-cooled 2-stroke, 246cc, horizontally-opposed twin-cylinder, crankcase reed valve intake engine rated at 21 hp.

[link=http://www.imaginationinc.net/MainPages/Subpage/flyinginventions/RMAX.htm]RMax[/link]

Erich_F 08-08-2009 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See images below:

yzchopper 08-18-2009 04:06 PM

I read the article about the R50 (early version of the Rmax) back in March of 1997 and it stated the cost at around $40,000.00. But in 2000 they said that the cost was $85,000.00 and that you had to buy 2 cause you had to have a backup. The company would not sell just one. Also the engine was 249cc 2-stroke that could produce up to 30Hp, fly for 30 minutes and the helicopter weighed in at 100lbs total.

Steve

mundo330 08-21-2009 07:54 AM

It seems everyone is missing the point!
This is a sign folks! Our toys are serious and buzzing the neighbors is a good way to promote disaster and loose our rights!
I had a student back in the 80's take his newly rebuilt shuttle out in his back yard to test hover.
A gust of wind had spun the bird 180 degrees facing him, he had not learned nose in hovering at that point.
He panicked and pushed the cyclic forward, sending the bird at him at a fast pace. Again in a panic he turned to find a fence and hedge and nowhere to run.
He dropped the radio and covered his head with his arms and took the wood blades across the back. Three large gashes and 75 stitches later he realized how lucky and stupid he was! You must respect these machines no mater what the size they can bite and bite hard. I have sent scale birds worth a few thousand into the ground due to a blown tail rotor at low altitude rather than risk a run away, risking life or limb. Let's be smart out there folks!
Doug S

Causality is the root of all life!

Ybenjulkay2x 08-21-2009 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: mundo330

It seems everyone is missing the point!
This is a sign folks! Our toys are serious and buzzing the neighbors is a good way to promote disaster and loose our rights!
I had a student back in the 80's take his newly rebuilt shuttle out in his back yard to test hover.
A gust of wind had spun the bird 180 degrees facing him, he had not learned nose in hovering at that point.
He panicked and pushed the cyclic forward, sending the bird at him at a fast pace. Again in a panic he turned to find a fence and hedge and nowhere to run.
He dropped the radio and covered his head with his arms and took the wood blades across the back. Three large gashes and 75 stitches later he realized how lucky and stupid he was! You must respect these machines no mater what the size they can bite and bite hard. I have sent scale birds worth a few thousand into the ground due to a blown tail rotor at low altitude rather than risk a run away, risking life or limb. Let's be smart out there folks!
Doug S

Causality is the root of all life!
I agree with you to have the common sence and be smart, think also about the other person around you before you fly like yesterday, I was flying alone in a ball field then after 5 min from nowhere some teenager came not to watch but to play baseball they didn't wait for me to land my heli they play right away, they don't care or they don't think it's very dangerous while the heli's on the air they just go and play so I land the shaking my head and go home. Also give the other guy an advice on the other trends regarding flying D.U.I. (flying while under influence of alcohol).

ezsky 12-06-2010 04:41 AM

WOW

sfaust 12-16-2010 04:45 PM

Definitely important to treat these as serious machines with lethal potential. Just today I was flying my H550E scale heli for a New Balance shoe TV commercial. Right up front in negotiations I mentioned I wouldn't fly if the conditions weren't right, the area has to be locked down, and safety is the number one concern. We filmed in an industrial area in the city, but was surrounded by enough buffer areas for safety.

I do see more and more people flying 450 and 500 sized helis in public parks, etc, with the mentality that they will just keep it close to them and in control. In talking with some of them, the idea that the heli can get away seems to escape them. The assumption seems to be that they won't loose control, they are flying 2.4Ghz, nothing will fail on the helicopter, so it doesn't matter than people are in the area. Bad assumption.

BTW, I'd love to get a RMAX and mount some cameras on it, or just to have one for fun! Can anyone front me $85K :)