RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/)
-   -   REPLACING MAIN GEAR (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/9764485-replacing-main-gear.html)

DEATHPROOFHELI 05-27-2010 11:42 PM

REPLACING MAIN GEAR

Hey guys, any help would be appreciated. I hate to post a new thread without researching but i couldnt find what i needed. So i was wondering about replacing my main gear. It doesnt need it yet but i would really like to be prepared. So does it suck or what?? hahaha. I fly a 400, im not an idiot and ive always been good at what i try. So any tips?? what should i be aware of. thank you all.

Rafael23cc 05-28-2010 08:12 AM

RE: REPLACING MAIN GEAR

I am confused, are you sure you are refering to the big round gear at the bottom of the main shaft?

I am not familiar with the B400, but in every other helicopter that I have worked on, the main gear is fairly simple to take out.

1. Remove the blades It might be easier this way. But not a required step.
2. Take out all the ball links off the lower swashplate (3 or 4 depending on helicopter)
3. Take out the lower jesus bolt
4. depending on the heli, you might have to loosen the retainer's set screws near the upper bearing block.
5. Slide the main shaft out from the top
6. Slide the main gear out from the side.

Rafael

DEATHPROOFHELI 05-28-2010 10:06 AM

B400? i have a creata 400. it has belt driven tail rotor. I just want to know whats up so i dont get in over my head when i try to replace it myself</p>

Rafael23cc 05-28-2010 11:20 AM

ORIGINAL: DEATHPROOFHELI
B400?
Sorry, I thought you had a Blade 400.

Rafael

DEATHPROOFHELI 05-28-2010 08:35 PM

Have you ever done one wit a belt driven tail?

Rafael23cc 06-02-2010 08:01 AM

ORIGINAL: DEATHPROOFHELI

Have you ever done one wit a belt driven tail?

Yes, my Raptor 50, Sceadu 50 and Freya 90 all have tail belts.

Depending on where the belt is driven then there is one additional step. You have to remove the belt, that entails loosening up the tail boom.

Rafael

DEATHPROOFHELI 06-02-2010 09:59 PM

Okay thanks buddy. the belt drive is on top of the main gear, my new one should be here this week. Thank you again. I have to fly my fixed pitch lately, lol i really want my 400 back up an running. I have been starting forward flight the past week now an im really really excited about it!

DEATHPROOFHELI 06-08-2010 11:23 PM

So i put my main gear back in today, I took it apart yesterday an it came in the mail today, it wasnt as bad as i thought it was gonna be! Its the first time ive done it. SO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!