RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/)
-   -   Blade Tracking EXI 500 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/9839252-blade-tracking-exi-500-a.html)

RC RedHots 07-01-2010 06:56 PM

Blade Tracking EXI 500

<p style="margin-bottom: 0in">Has anyone every had a set of 500 sizeheli blades that will not track?</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in">One time they do and the next time they don't.</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in">The ones I have are fiberglass and Yes they are imports off ebay.</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in">It's like one blade has more flex in it then the other.</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in">I know I may have made a bad choice!</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in">What do you think?
And yes I have checked the feathering shaft &amp; rubber bushings, they look good!

Any idea, trash them and go with a better set?</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in">RCREDHOTS</p>

john josey 07-02-2010 01:28 PM

RE: Blade Tracking EXI 500

I`ve had wooden blades that gave me tracking problems but never glass ones. From what you describe, i would have to agree it most probably is the cheaper blades.

Is it possible you could 'borrow 'a set of quality ones just to be 100% sure ?

Solman 07-02-2010 01:45 PM

I buy cheap blades all the time. I have learned as to which ones that I like and which ones that I don't. It is always possible to get a bad set. Don't just put them down because you got one bad set. The possibility of receiving a bad set is always possible. That said, I am going to ask the million dollar question. Did you balance them prior to flying?

RC RedHots 07-02-2010 03:03 PM

Yes sir I did!
With a gram scale and a see-saw and with a main shaft one by on and center line marked then re balance.
I have gone as far and scufed one of them and sprayed on paint to not have to use tracking tape.
One blade is flexing more then the other, that is the only thing I can see.
I am going to change the damper bushings and see what happens.
I also going to order a new set of blades.
Oh this is 2 pair blades that are junk.
Thanks All any other input welcome!
RCREDHOTS

RC RedHots 07-02-2010 04:44 PM

In the past hour changed I changed the bushings in the head and that was a no go, same problem.
So I ordered some CF blades.
Any other ideas let me know please!
I am going to give the fiberglass bladesto my grand kids to dig holes with, if they work for that!
Thanks RCREDHOTS

Solman 07-02-2010 09:56 PM

I am not a big fan of fiberglass blades either. I have a few sets as spares, but I am not a big fan of them. You can get CF blades cheap enough and are much better.

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: arial; ">With a gram scale and a see-saw and with a main shaft one by on and center line marked then re balance.<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; ">
Ok, I've heard of people using a gram scale to check the weight. I don't do it and haven't found a need to do so yet. Your second part has me all confused on how you did it. Did you use one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rc-Carbon-Blade-Balancer-Align-Esky-Walkera-450-K217-/320555630406?cmd=ViewItem&amp;pt=Radio_Control_Par ts_Accessories&amp;hash=item4aa29abf46#ht_2422wt_1 023<br type="_moz" /></span></span>

RC RedHots 07-02-2010 11:33 PM

Yes I use the see-saw (like you have the link)
I usea gram scale to check each blade weight.
I also center balance each blade root to tip.
Thanks for your input!
I did order 2 sets of carbon fiber blades.
No more deals of the day for me!
Thanks again RCREDHOTS

Solman 07-03-2010 07:01 AM

Why would you balance it from root to tip? I don't see the purpose of that. I personally never understood putting on a gram scale either because if it balances on the see saw, then it is balanced and that is what you want.

RC RedHots 07-03-2010 08:16 AM

<p style="margin-bottom: 0in">I guess it kind of redundant mainly to check if the blade weight after adding tracking tape.</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in">More or less a backup, just to make me feel better I guess.</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in">But bottom line the fiberglass blades I bought are junk.</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in">I spent more time then I should have with them.</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in">I have a Blue Ray and have balanced and installed a set of blades and with in a few hovers they are tracking perfect.</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in">And yes I know the difference in length makes a big difference's. 450 /500</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in">As I said I ordered 2 set of carbon fiber blades and will see what the outcome is.</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in">For the life of me I can't think of any other problem other then one blade flexes more then the other.</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in">Thanks For Your Input.</p><p style="margin-bottom: 0in">RCREDHOTS</p>

ORIGINAL: Solman

Why would you balance it from root to tip? I don't see the purpose of that. I personally never understood putting on a gram scale either because if it balances on the see saw, then it is balanced and that is what you want.

Solman 07-03-2010 01:19 PM

Yea, just like anything else, it is always possible to get a set of bad blades. Heck, it happens with batteries on occasion.