RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter Heaven Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-heaven-support-483/)
-   -   Heli-like possible build...? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-heaven-support-483/6676444-heli-like-possible-build.html)

air-madness 11-26-2007 03:26 PM

Heli-like possible build...?

Hi, all. After countless hours of research, planning, gyroscopic theory, etc, etc... I have a few hypotheticals about a craft that I am going to build. I am open to criticism and optomisim - so please feel free to give input. Plese, however, only those that REALLY know what they are talking about give serious advice. I build my own r/c planes and boats, so scientific technique is not an issue. This isn't simply a pipe dream. Thanks in advance for the help.

1. I am sketching up a heli-like craft that only uses one main rotor (an airplane prop). Much like what a fixed pitch heli would function, but without the tail rotor, or dual counter rotating main blades. The engine will be a .47, GMS to be exact (only spare I have lying around). Thrust is equal to weight and I am around 75% more thrust than the weight of the craft.

2. The craft will have a fuse much like a heli, but with wing sections (vertically opposed to the fuse). Imagine an airplane in verticle hovering flight - this is the concept.

3. The proposed wing panels (two, one on each side of course) aielerons will be set up like a delta plane (mixed). the initial setup will need to have counter aieleron angles in order to compensate for the gyroscopic twisting effect of the single main blade. When the aielerons are controlled they will act as yaw and pitch according to the prop thrust that is washing over their plain. The sprial axis (left right turning (commonly left and right bank aieleron control on a plane)) will be more sensitive on control input that that of the forward and reverse (commonly up down control on a plane).

4. The CG of the craft will be located directly on the center of the prop, and the wing panels will be directly in a verticle plain top the CG.

I can submit a sketch if someone needs a generic visual.

nitrohog 11-26-2007 06:17 PM

RE: Heli-like possible build...?

For some reason all that I can see is the XFY-1 Pogo in my head. Maybe this vid will help you with your idea, good luck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrsjnC3W1mg

Cleared2Engage 03-07-2008 09:56 PM

Yup, the Pogo was also the first thing to pop in my head when I read this. I see thatthis thread is pretty old and by now it's probably already built and running. I'd be interested to see build pics if you have them. If you're using Real Flight 3.5 or newer, there is a download for the XFY-1 Pogo that you can play around with. The only thing I can recommend is to keep the CG as low as possible so the craft won't nose over during hover. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

heliraptorcbm 11-02-2008 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Cleared2Engage

Yup, the Pogo was also the first thing to pop in my head when I read this. I see thatthis thread is pretty old and by now it's probably already built and running. I'd be interested to see build pics if you have them. If you're using Real Flight 3.5 or newer, there is a download for the XFY-1 Pogo that you can play around with. The only thing I can recommend is to keep the CG as low as possible so the craft won't nose over during hover. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
same here i down loaded it from g 3 it was a good rendition of the plane it was nice to fly until it was time to land then all hell brakes lose lol never did back down but from a few feet like maybe 4 feet at best hay all the more power to you hope you get it to work post vid please