Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Humor
Reload this Page >

Model in tree - retrieval anyone

Community
Search
Notices
RC Humor Have an RC related joke or story? If it is RC humor you're looking for we have this forum to make you happy now.

Model in tree - retrieval anyone

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 05:15 PM
shakeelsid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model in tree - retrieval anyone

Hi guys
here is a photo of my limbo dancer at 110 ft AGL - hovering permanently, even out of fuel - some engine ha - ask questions and I will unravel an astounding story. BTW because it is located at the shores of Lough Ennel, of Lilliput fame, I do fear some giant might get to it before I.
Any ideas how to get it out of there without chopping or breaking limbs - tree's and mine?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60338.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	373814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83569.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	373815  
Old 12-21-2005, 07:55 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Model in tree - retrieval anyone

A chainsaw is a wonderful invention.

Haw.

Bill.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:55 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Shotgun
Old 12-21-2005, 09:29 PM
mulletman

both would work well id recomend the chain saw
Old 12-22-2005, 01:35 AM
shakeelsid

I was trying to get a free christmas tree - chopping it off with a 12-4 APC

BTW, Doing a blender at 200 feet in a severe cross wind will very quickly disorient you.

No thanks to chainsaw - the tree has only one chance, I have twenty models

merrrrrry christmas to you too.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:39 AM
daryl2158

suggestions:

1) Have u tried shaking the tree? Make it a family thing, get every1 to help!
2) shoot at it with a BB gun
3) The last time i had to take something out of a tree i got hold of some poles, tied them together, n voila.
4) climb the tree (lol)
5) u better get it down b4 it RAINS

gd luck!
Old 12-22-2005, 06:06 AM
shakeelsid

Its been up there about ten days - in Ireland, it rains here every day, one snow shower already - I does have two digital servos, one 318 reciever and a very new engine - I will salvage whatever.

OK - the tree is three foot thick at the root - so even the whole town couldnt possibly shake it. I estimate it is 120 footer. How do you manage such a large pole. Someone else has already tried it, and obviously didnt succeed - photo shows a fair supply of inch and half thick twenty foot bamboos that I one day found stacked near the tree. I have since chopped them all into manageable size pieces and transported them to my backyard - I was in need of some fencing material anyway.

Being orange and green, it is visible from about a mile - it is only a matter of time before any one tries to use a BB or shot gun - its a good thing this is not a hunting season.

Keep your suggesions coming
Old 12-22-2005, 06:26 AM
tom czenthe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's sad.............but funny........my suggestion is to bring it to Florida and let our Huricanes deal with it
Old 12-22-2005, 07:37 AM
Greg.B

You need a cat (helps if it's not afraid of heights) get it stuck up the tree right at the top, call 999 ask for the fire department say you've got a cat stuck up a VERY tall tree, If they say they won't come out tip off a kid to climb to the top of the tree and get stuck then call 999, say I've got a kid and a cat stuck up in a tree.......when they come out say could you also get that plane down!

Seriously: I don't think you have much of a chance getting it down in one piece though, I think you best bet is to get a Roach pole (you can get them at fishing shops) I have a 75ft one that I use for this purpose.

You could put a hoop of strong flexible wire on the end of a roach pole and hook it round the tailplane then pull it out and down, the only prob is the pole may snap[].
Old 12-22-2005, 10:01 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

In my area, a bucket lift aka cherry picker, rents between $40 to $100 an hour. Since you have at least that wrapped up in servos and motor, why not rent or hire one out.

However, I too was also thinking of the cat idea[>:].

Scott
Old 12-22-2005, 10:10 AM
shakeelsid

Thanks Scott and Greg
Cherry picker was my first though, but access to the tree is extremely difficult - there is a soggy marshy heavily forested slope at one end and an even marshy field at the other.
May be a cat can get in, if it is a cat not afraid of water - but the fire truck or cherry picker would soon bog down.

I am hoping one of these Florida gusts crosses Atlantic sooner, as I am leaving for Allen Tx on new year's eve. If it doesnt come down any sooner, it will probably be a Xmas booty for some lucky chap.

It was one of my least favoured plane though - one reason why I was flying it so wildly in marginal weather. Had it gone in the lake, it would have been the end of it, but since it is still visible, I cant get it out of my mind.

Picture of bamboos didnt load last time so here it is again, this is material evidence of an attempted theft -

cheerios
Sid

Name:	Ax73252.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	374145  
Old 12-22-2005, 10:36 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmmm! Sounds like your pretty bogged down then eh?

Well, there is the bow and arrow method. Get a compound bow, an arrow with a barbed blade, and a roll of kite string and attach it to teh arow. Shoot the arrow either into the branch or onto the plane and try to pull the plane down.

I have also shot a tennis ball attached to an arrow and string doing the same method in order to be able to shake branches.

It also worked on putting Christmas lights on a 150' tree. We just shot the strings over the tree.

However, it looks like that tree is a good 100 meters high, so even this trick would be a bit of a miss.

Scott

Scott
Old 12-22-2005, 12:15 PM
shakeelsid

Hi Scott
Bow an Arrow Hmmm
Please remember there is a cat and child already up there trying to keep the model company, there is a thief abound, with his supply of bamboos and the cherry picker which responded to a 999 call is stuck in the boggy field just across. How safe would a barbed blade be - or shall we use a razor wire attached to a standard arrow.

Seems like we have the same twisted minds - I searched UK ebay for compound bows as well as harpoon guns the day I lost my airplane. Aparently they are not allowed to be sold there.
So I began thinking about making one critter myself. This was one of first uses I could think of for the aforementioned bamboos at the field - I wanted to soak one up overnight in my little fountain pond and bend it to make a bow - crap. Lousy Irish weather, after an overnight soak it was frozen stiff and even harder - so I brought a six foot peice in to give it some care and a warm bubble bath in the tub.
Seems like the darn thing has been born and bred in Bronx, it is so waterproof that even soaking in hot water didnt produce a reasonable curve - the bamboo that is, my back on the other hand now has a permanent curvature which would be an envy for Salvador Dali models.

Keep them arrows coming

sid

Old 12-22-2005, 01:02 PM
AJ1202

The last time I put one in a tree I simply tied a heavy lead weight on a strong fishing line and just kept casting untill I got next to the plane and by pulling up and down shaking the branches I was able to get it down, each time it fell I would just start again untill it finnaly came loose, it came loose at about 50 ft and actually leveled and glided to a landing Was quite a sight
Yours looks a little worse than mine was but, you never know.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:05 PM
CP140

Our flying field is surrounded by trees ... no I lie... it's surrounded by TREEEEEES!!! The damn things have grabbed more airplanes than politicians have grabbed pay cheques. The picture at the bottom gives some idea of the nasty airplane grabbing trees we have to deal with.

When it's that far up, the only workable solution may be to hire a professional. Look for someone who tops trees or fells trees for a living... landscaper or such.

Name:	Lj23475.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	374220  
Old 12-22-2005, 01:06 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might ask the local police helicopter if he could do a low hover over the tree for a couple of seconds and see what falls out.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:39 PM
shakeelsid

What a relief - I thought I was the only bufoon in the world who had done that!
Seems like I am in the company of good professional tree landers.

Skewed minds do think alike - apart from the cat and the child, I have yet to find an orignal 'never heard before' suggestion. I have even considered trailing a hook behind an ultralight and skim right over the row of trees - but then there was more of a chance of having two airplanes stuck up there, and a pilot and a cat and a child.

After twenty odd years of modelling, I flew my first airplane in a tree bout four months ago. It was purely technical - the 7.4 volt Lipoly was equipped with an overload fuse, which gave up the ghost at the worst possible moment. I got the kevlar reinforced strings from my six foot stunt kite and hurled a spanner up repeatedly till I finally got it out - well there were some undignified portions that came before, which included climbing it half way up like a baboon on heat and sawing off two fat branches with my trusty old chordless jigsaw. After two days of slinging my arms felt like they were stuffed with dead mice, and how strange that you hit the target on the very last of your attempts.

I am absolutely not interested in any slinging, which, I must stress, can be hazardous to the aforementioned cat and the child.

More Ideas anyone

Sid
Old 12-22-2005, 01:41 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

That tree appears to be climb able. Unless it is thinner than first appearances at the top you should be able to get near anough to shake the He!! out of the branches near the model. If it comes loose it may hit the ground pretty hard but you can usually salvage the engine and servos. DO NOT shake the tree hard enough to break the part your sitting on. Good luck
Old 12-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Greg.B

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

Might ask the local police helicopter if he could do a low hover over the tree for a couple of seconds and see what falls out.
Of the chopper or the tree???

Now let's see that'll be a cat, a kid, and 2 pilots!

I have even considered trailing a hook behind an ultralight and skim right over the row of trees - but then there was more of a chance of having two airplanes stuck up there, and a pilot and a cat and a child.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:10 PM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: shakeelsid
I have yet to find an orignal 'never heard before' suggestion.

More Ideas anyone

Sid
You shouldn't have written that.

Suggestions:

(1) fireworks(the new years NYC type)
(2) hover a 40% with a hook on the end of a light rope attached to the tail and hook it over the elevator.
(3) drive your car into the base of the tree as fast as you can in hopes that the impact will shake it down(you are liable for your own actions)
(4) stare it down.
(5) get a ladder
(6)entice it to come down with Christmas cookies
(7)send enough cats up the tree to cause the branch to break off and bring the plane down
(8) show it a picture of a prettier airplane
(9)threaten not to fly it again[X(]
(10)get a rock band with their amps pointed at the plane playing at full volume
(11)get a cannon
(12) tell it that you don't like flying it anymore
(13)threaten to post it's picture on RCU........... wait a minute here, HHHHMHHHH
(14)buy a big giraffe

Hope these help,
Woops
Old 12-22-2005, 03:14 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somehow get a rope over a nearby branch and hoist a leaf blower (or something similar that produces wind...) up to the plane. If you are extremely lucky the leaf blower will produce enough of an updraft to release the plane. Either that, or it will blow it further out of reach.

You'll require:-

A leaf blower, rope, weight (so you can get one end of the rope over a branch), extension cord and lots of patience.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:45 PM
shakeelsid

Vow Woops Now I do have plenty of new ones

Tomorrow, I will stuff my car with leftover halloween crackers and drive into the base of the tree, after the smoke settles down, I will warm some brownies on the fire and stare at it hard. Now what did you say will come down? - The cat fled at the sound of the crackers to get help (perhaps more cats or a big giraffe!!!), the teenager thought that the crash was cool and wants an encoure, the cherry picker driver and the stranded pilots want a share in my cookies - what am I left with? picture of a prettier airplane that I have vowed never to fly?

Intresting, but the health and safety regulations in Ireland are pretty tough - I already have my hands full with the cat and the child and cherry picker driver and two pilots - and now you want me to add more cats in close proximity of a rock band of giraffes?[>:]

Back to the square one again.

sid
Old 12-22-2005, 05:24 PM
kriegsmacht
My Feedback: (12)

Ok with complete seriousness, you have to balance your losses. You have to consider this a crash, and in a crash you can expect the body of the plane to be damaged or destroyed. You have to write off the plane in your mind and focus on salvaging the valuable engine which is ruining day by day up there. Radio gear too, but mainly the engine.

Actually the shotgun idea is seriously the best. You can buy a bulk pack of skeet load shotgun shells cheap enough. Just keep shooting the plane till the balsa gives out and it falls down in pieces. It should work really well.

Alternatively, you could use a high power air rifle to shoot the plane apart, but it would take much longer. Maybe you could round up some help on that one.

Just remember the plane is history, even if the wind blew it out its still going to be damaged. Save that engine, its killing me!
Old 12-22-2005, 06:58 PM
shakeelsid

ok seriously again - what are my chances of having a clean hit without damaging the engine and electronics - BTW, the Irvine 53 was only around 150 dollars, the reciever 120 dollars, servos 55 or so a piece - I personally am more keen on my reciever and servos perhaps because I have little use for that engine, or that I have a shelf full of engines but only few recievers - tell you what, get the plane down, you can have the engine, and I will take the rest.

At an emotional level, I have given it all up and am compensating by having this forum fun

Old 12-22-2005, 07:38 PM
50%plane

ORIGINAL: shakeelsid

ok seriously again - what are my chances of having a clean hit without damaging the engine and electronics - BTW, the Irvine 53 was only around 150 dollars, the reciever 120 dollars, servos 55 or so a piece - I personally am more keen on my reciever and servos perhaps because I have little use for that engine, or that I have a shelf full of engines but only few recievers - tell you what, get the plane down, you can have the engine, and I will take the rest.

At an emotional level, I have given it all up and am compensating by having this forum fun

Actually, you need to shoot it at the wing on the other side of the branch as the fuse. This will cause it to tumble out.(if you're a good shot)

Woops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.