Notices
RC Humor Have an RC related joke or story? If it is RC humor you're looking for we have this forum to make you happy now.

Watch The Road!

Old 03-31-2003, 05:32 PM
monocoupe
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watch The Road!

Several years ago, a local modeler bought a brand new small car car to replace his aging pick up truck. He was used to carrying his big birds to and from the field in one piece, in the back of the truck. Since he only had to drive on local roads to get to the field, he just tied the airplane to the roof of his car, pointing forward into the wind.
One day on the way home from the field, he heard the model begin to move on the roof, so he reached out of the window to grab hold of it, swerved off the road, and drove into a telephone pole!
Fortunately he was not hurt, but the car and the model didn't fair as well.
Not to laugh at other peoples mis-fortunes, but you have to admit, it's pretty funny! It was long enough ago now that I'll bet even he probably laughs about it now.

Cheers, Nigel
Old 03-31-2003, 07:35 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Watch The Road!

Nigel,
I can recall quite a few years ago my dad and I seeing a guy come into the field (Fry's corner) with a byron P-51 strapped to the roof...unfortunately he had tied the fuse down with the wing on and wind on the wing as he drove caused so much lift without being able to lift the fuse off the car that it snapped. He came to the field anyways....no doubt shamefully....to now sell, instead of fly....one clipped wing byron mustang.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:51 PM
monocoupe

Default Watch The Road!

Sean, That's too funny!

There was a guy at the boundary Bay field years ago who crashed his airplane, then put everything away in his car and left for the day.
Unfortunately for him he had left the transmitter on the roof of his car, and it stayed put until he got out onto the highway, when it slid off the roof, bounced off the trunk, and onto the road. It bounced along the road, was hit by the car behind, and finally landed in the ditch.
After retrieving the poor smashed thing from the ditch, he switched it and what was left of the airplane on, and to his amazement it still worked!
He was so impressed with how tough this Kraft radio was, he immediately turned around and headed back to the field. He walked up to a group of us with all this wreckage, threw it down on a table, and explained with great enthusiasm what had just happened, and how the radio still worked!
In his exitement, he switched it on to show us.....and shot down some poor guy who was flying on that frequency!

Two airplanes and a transmitter totaled in less than an hour!

Cheers, Nigel
Old 04-01-2003, 01:53 AM
smchale

Default Watch The Road!

Call up Guiness...that's gotta be some sort of record! One of the saddest things I saw was when a guy up in northern BC put his plane under his truck to keep it dry as a shower passed through. That was fine until his wife decided to drive into town to pass out the rain shower. somehow I always remember that crunch sound....
Old 04-01-2003, 03:29 AM
monocoupe

Default More Sad Stories!

So Sean, are they still married? LOL

I can remember being at a contest with a friend and it started getting really windy, and I had my best model out and assembled. My buddy suggested that I put it into the back of his truck till it calmed down, which I did.
He had an awning set up behind the truck where we sat and talked and drank coffee while the wind blew. Suddenly a huge gust pulled one of the awning pegs out of the ground. It whizzed right between the two of us, and straight into the back of the truck....and through my model!
Well, we tried to keep it safe!

Cheers, Nigel
Old 04-01-2003, 01:44 PM
smchale

Default Watch The Road!

Nigel,
That dang Murphy guy always seems to find away to get to the flying field doesn't he!?!
Old 04-01-2003, 01:55 PM
monocoupe

Default Watch The Road!

Sean, He sure does! That Murphy....he must have paid you a visit or two over the years...no?
Old 04-01-2003, 08:43 PM
smchale

Default Murphy's Laws of R/C

Oh ya....everyday!!

Here are some Murphy's Laws as they apply to Model Planes...

If something can break, it will.

Gravity Takes No Prisoners........

Trees are ALWAYS closer than they appear.

To calculate the location of the exact rear center underneath your workbench, just drop a small screw.

The screw you forgot to check during your preflight will always be:
A: The first one to come loose.
B: The one that causes the most damage when it comes loose.
C: The one behind the transmitter.

When there appears the best thermal bubble of the day, the receiver or transmitter batteries are empty or too weak.

If you are waiting for an important phone call, just glue a part of your plane with 12 minute or longer epoxy that you have to hold together by hand and you will get that call.

Always carry a cigarette lighter for cremations of vertical landings.
Always carry a spade for digging out the engine prior to cremation, or for giving a decent burial if the lighter fails to operate during the hay making season, carry a mobile phone to contact the emergency services during the cremation of your plane and all surrounding fields, woodland areas and the local farmhouse.

If you can't go flying tomorrow, the weather will be perfect.

The right way to cover a certain shape is always found out the day after you just covered it the wrong way.

If it's not a taildragger, it will be.

The number of radio hits is inversely proportional to the flying skill of the pilot.

Glide distance is exactly equal to the distance between the spot where the propellor assumes the horizontal position, and the nearest spot level enough for a landing minus 10 feet.

Landing skills improve as the number of spectators decreases.

It always rains on your day off..

No plane is ever big enough.

Just when you've finally obtained a vehicle that's large enough for you and your planes, your wife will claim it for use as the family vehicle, leaving you with the two-door sports car.

Like milk, every airplane has an expiration date... some sooner than others

The probability of launching a glider is directly proportional to the number of times that you have seen a high-start being used, multiplied by the time that it takes for you to set it up, divided by the number of avid flyers that are watching you .

The amount of power remaining in your starter battery is inversely proportional to the number of beginners watching times the probability of getting another day of good flying weather this month divided by the probability of your engine starting easily.

There are two types of Radio Controlled airplanes: Ones that have crashed, and ones that will.

When building a model, You will always find the missing part, just as you have finished duplicating it.

The chance that you will totally trash your plane is directly proportional to your level of anxiety, times the number of planes that you have built, divided by the probability of flying your first plane at night and that you had to use a black covering on it.

If there is only one tree in an otherwise deserted area, your model will always fly into it.

When an expensive model is in the air, there will always be a young child within range playing with his model car, whose radio will be on the same channel that you're using.

Holding a transmitter always causes an overpowering itch all over your body as soon as your plane takes off.

The number of electric flight packs that you burn up equals
A: The number of times your charger false-peaks, times
B: The amount of time you ignore the charger, divided by
C: The amount of time you spend working on your buddy's airplane.

The velocity of the wind is inversely proportional to the size of your plane.

The gustiness of the wind is inversely proportional to the wing loading on your plane.

The number of bugs biting you or otherwise interfering with your flight is proportional to the speed of your plane times the number of people watching you. (sort of a generalized Fire Ant Principle)

The probability of it raining on Sunday morning is directly proportional to your chance of getting enough instructors together at the field to take your check out ride to get your wings.

CA is a medical adhesive. As such, it is much more effective at gluing fingers than balsa.

The quality of your landings in inversely proportional to the number of people watching you times by the number of hyperactive little kids running onto the runway.

Canadian Geese prefer mowed runways and pit areas.

All but one maneuver is optional: the landing.

When, during the construction of a model, you need three hands and yours are busy, the bottle of CA you were using will secretly lay down, spilling the contents to the floor and you, in your bare feet, will stand in it, gluing yourself in position.

The farther you fly into the trees, the smaller your plane becomes.

Full Scale Axiom: Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.
Radio Control Corollary: Any landing you can walk back to is a good landing.

The probability of an engine quitting is directly proportional to the distance the plane is from the landing area.

The size of the pile of grass clippings is inversely proportional to the chance of your "touch-n-go" landing run hitting the pile dead center.

The chance of stepping on a fire-ant mound while flying is directly proportional to how much money you spent on the plane.

The guy who can't take off without crashing into the pits will always go up when you're flying.

There is always somebody on your frequency.

A new glow plug will last forever if you have spares, but only about a half-an-hour is you don't.

When you get to the field, the chance that a part in a new plane will work properly is inversely proportional to how anxious you are to get the damn thing in the air.

When a part (invariably) doesn't work, it will be the one located in the hardest to reach location in the fuselage and requiring the removal of the most screws.

Only when the part has been totally removed from the plane will it be realized that the part removed was the wrong one, and one in a completely different part of the plane is the culprit.

When reinstalling the part, one screw will always come up missing.

When you finally get the right damn part removed, it'll be one you don't have a spare for, and the hobby store will be closed that day.

Even if needle valves were located in the tail of a plane, sooner or later you'd put your damn finger through the prop while adjusting it.

The size of your plane is directly proportional to the size of your ego.

The size of your engine is directly proportional to the size of you wallet.

The size of your workbench has nothing to do with the size of your plane, your engine, or your house, but with the size of your spouse's heart.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:47 PM
monocoupe

Default Watch The Road!

Sean,
That was quite a post! Very entertaining, and very long. It must have taken you quite a while to type it out.....I hope you were at work at the time, cause it sure would have taken up an awful lot of valuable building time!

Your post reminded me of something Bubba Spivey said to me..."There's a hole in the ground out there for every model built"

Cheers, Nigel

PS Sean, have you noticed that we have this thread all to ourselves so far?
Old 04-01-2003, 10:17 PM
smchale

Default Watch The Road!

Nigel, yes I noticed that....but it's cheaper than picking up the phone!

I collected those 'laws' off the internet....and yes i'm at work. guess that makes me a professional RCUer!?! :spinnyeye
Old 04-02-2003, 12:27 AM
40%plane
My Feedback: (1)

Default Watch The Road!

hey guys: if there is enough land to fly a full scale 747 off and there is one puddle that is about 1 foot by 1 foot your plane is guaranteed to hit it
Old 04-02-2003, 01:44 AM
monocoupe

Default Watch The Road!

40%, you're right about that!

Sean,
I just started back to work today after being away for 7 months, to find that we no longer have internet access in the hangar.
I guess I won't be checking in at RCU on coffee breaks anymore!

Cheers, Nigel
Old 04-04-2003, 10:31 PM
freebird_80_tn

Default Watch The Road!

Your first flight will be on a windy day with half-a-gallon of fuel, one glow plug,and no starter and you will fly flawlessly for hours with noone there but you and the instructor.

Your next flight will be on a beautiful day with a full crowd, your family there, 2 barrels of fuel, 20 extra glow plugs, a new tote/flight box and no one else using your freq. and you WILL crash on take off!!