Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Humor
Reload this Page >

question about gas engines

Community
Search
Notices
RC Humor Have an RC related joke or story? If it is RC humor you're looking for we have this forum to make you happy now.

question about gas engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:30 PM
WCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about gas engines

I've often heard that if you remove the spark plug and pour some high quality dirt into the cylinder that you can gain some rpms and get more consistent and reliable performance. Is this true or just a rumor?
If it is in fact true what brand of dirt should I buy?
Do they make dirt specifically designed for engine use or will the plain old garden variety work?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: question about gas engines

Hey man, that's a good idea!!!, sounds better thanfiling the3 grooves across the top of the piston to enhance swirling combustion of the fuel mix which I've heard of... The dirt is called "ACME dust " and is available from ACME Corporation..or ask your nearest hobby shop...
Cheers
Homer Simpson....
Old 04-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was under the impression that dirt (sand) was used to polish the inlet and exhaust ports on high performance engines. I never heard anything about pouring it into the spark plug opening.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:25 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you sure you guys aren't thinking of a plane that goes in like a dart so hard you find dirt in the motor?

When it pulls through the carb its one thing, but when the dirt enters through new HIGH FLOW holes in the case...you are talking about modifications...I am unsure of the benefits of adding the dirt before the major impact though.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:25 PM
n0kjf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The type of dirt is not as important as how you get it in the engine. You need to mount the engine on your favorite airplane, climb to around 5,000 feet, full power dive into the dirt. If dirt is not handy, concrete works almost as well. Repeat often... Must be why my engines always run so well.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:15 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess that's why my engines run well too. Last crash, I hit so hard I got dirt in the transmitter. Maybe it will work better now too.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 04-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hells bells Stickbuilder, I'm in Mumbai, India at the moment, and here's a damaged, shiny prop spinner sticking like a mushroomupthrough the tarmac..... is it yours? By the looks it got some lava melting marks on it. Must I bring it back to you on my next visit to the US?