Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Any truth to rumors that JR switching to frequency hopping FASST system?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Any truth to rumors that JR switching to frequency hopping FASST system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 06:48 AM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any truth to rumors that JR switching to frequency hopping FASST system?

ORIGINAL: RAPPTOR

there will be no upgrade path from DSM2 to JR FHSS. JR are abandoning several thousand modellers who have bought JR DSM2 sets, even those bought recently!

If that is the case then thanks very much JR, it will be a long time before I buy anything with a JR label

[X(][X(] WE WERE USED LIKE LAB RATS TO TEST {JR"S -HOPE IT WORKS SYSTEM}..
Don’t be upset with JR Japan , it’s Horizon/Spektrum (US Distributor) that locked in buyers in the US with dedicated TX’s
Any other market will be able to just upgrade with a module change !

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9870588/tm.htm
Old 09-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Veritech

Default RE: Any truth to rumors that JR switching to frequency hopping FASST system?

"Any truth to rumors that JR switching to frequency hopping FASST system?"

Well I usually don't get involved in these types of discussions but since all my jets are on Spektrum I have been following this with great interest. I wonder if the spketrum recall will have any impact on Horizon's decision to bring JR's frequency hopping systems into the US. The link doesn't specifically say what is causing the problem other then "Hazard: The receiver can lose contact with the model airplane glider's radio control while within normal radio range limits."

Yikes! If it can happen to their sailplane receiver I wonder if it is happening to their 9 and 12 ch ones?

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...-461af0e2229f&

Old 09-18-2010, 12:55 PM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for making it more clear.. i like my 10x.i know how to use all the functions. i just dont want to crash because or the radio..[X(][]
Old 09-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am still on 72 mhz, just waiting for the real 2.4 ghz fallout.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I finally decided to use FASST on my JR radio, Spektrum is not an option for me, feedback so far is positive, track record for FASST is very good and receiver prices are becoming more affordable. I will do my first test tomorrow before using it on my jets. I just hope JR does not take a lifetime to bring their own FHSS system into the market.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:18 AM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: aquaskiman

What are you going to do Shaz???????????????????????????? Keep JR or go to the other brand
I am going to keep using JR until the the proverbial sh1t hits the fan with it.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:21 AM
slarty

GUys,

I don't see why you are panicking... DSM2 will be supported by JR for a couple of years at least, and even when JR drops it in favour of DMSS for THEIR NEW SETS, Horizon & Spektrum will still be churning them out.

Far too many people think JR is a subsidiary company of Horizon and are based in Chicago !
Old 09-19-2010, 07:42 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: slarty

GUys,

Far too many people think JR is a subsidiary company of Horizon and are based in Chicago !
Wrong again Buzzard breath !!!!!

D
Old 09-19-2010, 08:45 AM
RAPPTOR

hi,what jr radio did you change to fasst?? do they have a module for a 10x?? thanks
Old 09-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Steve Kent

http://www.ripmax.com/item.asp?itemi...tegory=060-150

This link shows the FASST module for JR sets from the UK distributor. It will be available in the US but I don't know where from try your Robbe dealer as I think it was them that had Futaba make it in the first place. I've been using one in my 9x2 (9303 in US I think) in all sorts of models including Jets for over a year & so far it's been 100%.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:46 AM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

In the US the FASST module is available under the Hobbico Brand
Old 09-19-2010, 10:48 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: sskianpour

Guys, again I please ask that we try to keep this thread on point. Once again I AM NOT asking for people's personal opinions about which radio they prefer or trust more.

I just want to know what the facts are:

1. IS JR MARKETING A TYPE OF FREQUENCY HOPPING SYSTEM SIMILAR TO FUTABA'S FASST IN OTHER COUNTRIES?

2. IS THERE PROOF OF THAT?

3. AND IS THERE ANY LITERATURE, LINKS, YOUTUBE, ETC... THAT MAY SHOW WHY JR IS DOING THIS?

4. AND FINALLY, IS THIS A PRECURSOR TO JR SWITCHING FROM DSM2 TO FHSS?

Again, PLEASE, this is NOT a personal opinion thread, it is a fact finding thread and I would like to keep it that way so the moderators dont shut it down.

Thank you very much in advance for understanding and respecting these wishes!
Shaz
You're asking for information that hasn't been verified by Horizon or JR, so all you're going to get is personal opinions.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Ruizmilton

RAPPTOR:

The JM912 from Hobbico will work for all 10X radios, the 9303 and the 8103, on the 10x series you will loose channel 10 since the radio can only do 9 channels on PPM mode.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:15 PM
bobl2
My Feedback: (14)

The Hobbico web site doesn't list the 9303.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Ruizmilton

I have it on a 9303 and works perfectly, read on the link below, the 9303 is listed...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXMV8&P=0
Old 09-19-2010, 01:24 PM
bobl2
My Feedback: (14)

Thanks, I searched Tower but couldn't find it.
Update: I have an X9303 so it won't work.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:53 PM
RAPPTOR

jr knew that ,,thats way they are getting rid of old stock..real scarry company..[X(][>:]
Old 09-19-2010, 04:21 PM
hyperdyne
My Feedback: (6)

I always get a kick out of people who want to change just for the sake of change.

"Yeah never had a problem with my gear but I am thinking of selling it and getting the other brand - just because I hear its better". In the engineering world I typically get a good laugh out of people who subscribe to that philosophy. It has zero basis and always ends up with a caveat that comes back to rear its ugly head. But to each his own.

Futaba's FASST is simply channel hopping DSSS. It's incrementally better than JR (technology wise) and only will lock you out with a highly improbable event which would be uncovered with a simple range check. I know chicken little only has to be right once, but I wouldnt bet money on it happening in the wild.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Ruizmilton

Hyperdyne:

Could you please explain in the simplest of terms (or just the relevant points) the differences between Futaba's hopping system and true FHSS?

Thanks
Old 09-19-2010, 10:08 PM
hyperdyne
My Feedback: (6)

If you want the long edition it is covered in detail in the other thread.

But, in simplest of terms - Futaba appears to be using direct sequence (just like Spektrum/JR) but channel shifting it around the 2.4G band. Whereas JR picks 2 frequencies and sticks redundant signals at these 2 different channels, Futaba does something similar but changes between all channels at a given hop period. It's a different way to skin the cat and can provide better interference mitigation for certain scenarios. But the concept is the same for both JR and Futaba systems.

True FHSS doesnt have a spreading code like DSSS. Basically is consists of a narrowband carrier that is hopped around in frequency with a known sequence. Its a different beast but is still a spread spectrum technique. Both FHSS and DSSS have pros and cons - which were covered in that huge thread here on RCU.

Given that Futaba's FCC paperwork declares a DSSS system and combined with the fact that their antenna diversity patent utilizes a correlator measurement from a DSSS system, it is conclusive they are not true FHSS - rather a hybrid FH/DSSS system. Heck, their own marketing statements say "channel shifting" and not straight out frequency hopping. If you take all those facts at face value it paints an unambiguous picture. I do know there are some that still don't accept it though...

Old 09-20-2010, 07:34 PM
slarty

1. IS JR MARKETING A TYPE OF FREQUENCY HOPPING SYSTEM SIMILAR TO FUTABA'S FASST IN OTHER COUNTRIES?

2. IS THERE PROOF OF THAT?

3. AND IS THERE ANY LITERATURE, LINKS, YOUTUBE, ETC... THAT MAY SHOW WHY JR IS DOING THIS?

4. AND FINALLY, IS THIS A PRECURSOR TO JR SWITCHING FROM DSM2 TO FHSS?

1. Yes

2. Yes, it is called the XG7 and is advertised on various Far East Websites, also the UK importer has a sample set.

3. Nope, that would a Commercial In Confidence classed item.

4. Yes, as has been stated elsewhere. JR ( the Japanese manufacturer and not Horizon Hobbies for those of you who think JR is based in Chicago ) is going to be dropping DSM2 in favour of DMSS. Their new sets ( ones that are undergoing design and prototyping) will be DMSS and not DSM2. The 11X Zero may well be fitted with DMSS at some time in the future and possibly released as the XG11.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:57 PM
FILE IFR

Slarty, can the recent buyers of the 11X and 12X 'update' their Tx's to the DMSS when this change becomes available?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Rush!

On the JR 11X i use, the DSMJ module will have a successful range check at over 60+paces (0 frame losses, 0  holds) whereas my DSM2 (9303) radio has a difficult time at even 30 paces and often fails beyond 20 paces.    

I am not really sure what the difference in technology is between DSM2 and DSMJ but I am totally satisfied with DSMJ performance over DSM2.

Rob

Old 09-21-2010, 03:46 AM
Glen Roberts

Can the data loger be used on DSMJ? Although the range check is far better than the DSM2 the data loger seems to read garbage on the J.

Glen
Old 09-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Rush!

I have the data logger on the bind/data port on a 1231 rx and it works fine... 

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.