Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bandit ARF vs Super Bandit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bandit ARF vs Super Bandit

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:20 AM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bandit ARF vs Super Bandit

Yeah, the BARF mk2 wing install is a breeze.....The Super is a pain to get the wings on IMO
Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can the wing attachment hardware utilized in the ARF2 be installed in the Balsa Bandit? Afterall, why not update the earlier Bandit kit to benefit from this popular revision?
Old 11-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: smchale

Can the wing attachment hardware utilized in the ARF2 be installed in the Balsa Bandit? Afterall, why not update the earlier Bandit kit to benefit from this popular revision?
Sorry, but no, the Bandit ARF Mk II wing attach parts cannot be installed in the Balsa Bandit or the Super Balsa Bandit.
The Mk II wings utilize an aluminum tube/phenolic socket arrangement for the forward spar, and the aft attach point is the carbon blade plug-in spar and socket as used in all of the earlier Bandit airframes.

Sales volume dictates the amount of improvements any manufacturer can make to any existing design.

The Bandit ARF Mk II outsells the Balsa Bandit and the composite Super Bandit by a very large margin.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: turnnburn

I have not seen anybody mention it but I would go Bandit ARF, but only the mark 2 version for one simple reason, ease of assembly at the flying field. The wing attachment system is such an inprovment to any of the Bandits prior it is not even funny. Add to that all the other plusses for bandit arf and it is a no brainer in my estimation.
We do not offer the Bandit ARF Mk I version any longer, but do carry a full line of spares to support your Mk I well into the future.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:01 PM
AVIOJET

If you built a Balsa Bandit from scratch.....

http://www.rcmodelistas.es/foro/avio...els-t2582.html

Best regards

Jesus
Old 11-25-2012, 01:04 AM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I have to think about the BARF MKII. Sounds like about $8.5k with the p100 and all new components.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:56 PM
roger.alli

Harley is spot on regards powering a Bandit. Any 22lb engine will power one extremely well. . A P-100 in a MK II would be perfect, light, powerful, and faster than nearly everything

Bandits are very efficient airframes. I had a "Classic" Balsa Bandit with a PST 600. It performed exceptionally well and was very light which made landing a breeze. My current Super Bandit has a M 140 which is too much power for me so I have it permanently dialled back to 85%.

I have also never experienced a tip stall in either of my Bandits..

Roger

Old 11-25-2012, 04:01 PM
roger.alli

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

Sorry, but no, the Bandit ARF Mk II wing attach parts cannot be installed in the Balsa Bandit or the Super Balsa Bandit.
The Mk II wings utilize an aluminum tube/phenolic socket arrangement for the forward spar, and the aft attach point is the carbon blade plug-in spar and socket as used in all of the earlier Bandit airframes.

Sales volume dictates the amount of improvements any manufacturer can make to any existing design.

The Bandit ARF Mk II outsells the Balsa Bandit and the composite Super Bandit by a very large margin.

Hey Harley.

I would buy a Balsa Bandit tomorrow if I could. I love that style of construction, (but then I am a little odd). It is a shame that BVM don't offer it any more.. [&o]

Roger
Old 11-25-2012, 05:48 PM
DrV

Sounds like a light setup is the way to go. Anyone has a video of bandit MKII or even an older BARF with a P100 or a similar 22lb turbine?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:52 PM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddy's super tip stalled, but he was completely dirty on a downwind leg when the engine quit & no one heard it. The end result was a tip stall, but under normal circumstances you'd have to out right try (intentionally) to put that thing into a stall
Old 12-04-2012, 08:57 AM
DrV

Hi guys, I'm about to make a decision as far as turbine choices in a BARF MKII. I would appreciate some advice. I know a p100 has been proven to work well in a BARF MKII. The new p90rxi is on its way so wanted to get people's opinions of p90 vs p100. I do like vertical "Umph" and so with the bigger can on the p90 mass flow is higher then the p100. It is heavier at 3.16lb (vs 2.38lb of p100)with pump, valves and filter.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

P140 man. All. Day. Long.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This isn't quite the same but my BARF originally had a P80 and then I upgraded to a P100. The performance is better with the 100 but the plane definitely benefits from being lighter. The thrust isn't much higher with the P100 V 80 but it's that bit lighter that vertical performance, top speed and low speed handling are all better. I can fly the plane stupidly slow in this config.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Mike,

My super was the baddest jet in my neighborhood,until my current Firebird.The Barfs are an amazing value,but they can't run like a super.If you aren't a speed/performance freak,the barf is your best bet.If you wan't to run hard,get a super.I probably shouldn't have even chimed in,because you're debating 90 vs 100 issues,but a super with a 160 is world class badass.Just gets really small,really fast.My latest ride's in my avatar with a Mammoth.Seriously eye opening.Bottom line,what are you looking to do? Happy holidays,

Erik
Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM
DrV

ORIGINAL: Erik R

Mike,

My super was the baddest jet in my neighborhood,until my current Firebird.The Barfs are an amazing value,but they can't run like a super.If you aren't a speed/performance freak,the barf is your best bet.If you wan't to run hard,get a super.I probably shouldn't have even chimed in,because you're debating 90 vs 100 issues,but a super with a 160 is world class badass.Just gets really small,really fast.My latest ride's in my avatar with a Mammoth.Seriously eye opening.Bottom line,what are you looking to do? Happy holidays,

Erik
Hi Erik.

I decided against the super with the 160 since our field can't accommodate that type of flying. I have settled for a new BARF MKII. I want to have a fun and comfortable plane to fly without too much fuss. Now the dilemma is between a p100 and a p90. I'm ok with 199.99mph and both of these engines will get me there. Lighter BARF sounds like the way to go from everyone's comments.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Mike
Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

IMO the Barf is too lightly loaded to fly like a proper sport jet. Because of the construction and design it cannot handle the power or abuse the Super can, it does not have the energy of a Super, and a Barf rattles like a shopping trolly when it's rolling out[:'(]

The Barf is OK if you want an easy build, an easy time at the field putting it together and a plane that fly's like the trainer you learned on. I would never own another Barf. But there has been a Super in my hanger for the last ten years and for as long as I can fly one I'll own one. If you want the best sport jet in the world then buy a Super.

I know that the Barf outsells the the Super 10-1 or whatever, but all that shows me is how little time we are prepared to put put into building a model when there is a less time hungry alternative available. Personally if the reduced building time was the reason I was looking at a Barf then I'd buy a Ultra Flash..

Jason