Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts
Default RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

I always have 3mm packers under the Behotec units...

Dave
Old 02-02-2011, 04:45 AM
ricardinho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so dave there going to send a pic for the modification for us to do? pat
Old 02-02-2011, 05:02 AM
Dave Wilshere

Pat

None really needed? It's as Mark showed.
It's the clearance on the top of the leg and axle thread only. The ply shims are in all Flash kits

Dave
Old 02-02-2011, 05:10 AM
ricardinho

thanks....
Old 02-02-2011, 06:22 PM
skynet33

I found the easyist way to deal with retract problems is to install a set of pro link retracts with BVM wheels and brakes. no problems. the only modifacation was to open the ply mount in the wing a little and your done!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Dave Wilshere

The CARF set is fine, Behotec retracts are really reliable, AT legs strong and Intairco wheels now a little quieter, but Pro Link and Jet 1A all work and fit fine.
The issues mentioned are now being sorted...as I type, I had another email saying so, so soon all sets going out will be the easy fit they should be.

Dave
Old 02-03-2011, 04:32 AM
ricardinho

i put the prolink trailing links on my classic flash. i used the bohetic retracts and got the pinned style prolinks. i used the inairco tires and brakes.. no problems.. still had to shave a little off the top of the strut ... i think like dave said these retracts are fine . we may have to do a little doctoring to get them right..
Old 02-03-2011, 07:12 AM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

Now if Dream Works could make the link like the new struts have or if Behotec could make a socket like the Dream Works...hmm.... then we could really have something.
John
Old 02-03-2011, 01:41 PM
skynet33

Hi Dave, I hope you don't think I was putting down the behotec gear. Its just that a few years back my friend purchased the flash with the behotec gear and that was before pro link was offered. when i bought my first flash i went on his recomendation to go with the pro link and the install went smooth. the Flash is still the best bang for the buck and they fly awsome. cant wait to fly the new UF. First we have about 3 feet of snow to melt!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:56 PM
ricardinho

my ultra flash has arrived today.. my buddy who is building it said its the kermit the frog plane....i love the green.... now for the next painfull part. buying the 120sx...ouch!!!!hehehe
Old 02-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Dave Wilshere

ORIGINAL: skynet33

Hi Dave, I hope you don't think I was putting down the behotec gear. Its just that a few years back my friend purchased the flash with the behotec gear and that was before pro link was offered. when i bought my first flash i went on his recomendation to go with the pro link and the install went smooth. the Flash is still the best bang for the buck and they fly awsome. cant wait to fly the new UF. First we have about 3 feet of snow to melt!
No, no. Just wanted to be clear that the Behotec units are great. There are three or four good makes of Oleo which improve the original straight main leg (which I flew for a couple of years)

Yep, I've ordered a second kit and our weather is improving...though not this weekend[]

Dave
Old 02-03-2011, 03:17 PM
skynet33

as soon as you fly kermit with the 120SX the pain will go away! The power and smoothnes of this engine is unbelieveable.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:00 PM
ricardinho

Hahaha I know the 120sx is smooth. My bae hawk has one... can't wait to fly the flash:.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:27 AM
indubitably

Objectivity is great.
I think this thread is worthy because we have been having some problems with these new Behotecs. I have not cared for the pin mount, but that is probably just a preference. There are two sets of set screws that must be maintained with locktite, and kept tight. A sudden twist on an uneven surface can flip a plane upside down on take off. I think the clamp set up is a little more secure. I like the long spring of these new struts, but one of the pins has had some problems. Found that i had to press the pin out, and discovered burs on the pin. Spun it up in a lathe, and now it springs back to straight. This had been one of the reasons for the non retracting. The gear sags and doesnt lock if the wheel doesnt pull all the way up into the wheel well. I only have 12 flights on my UF, but i think i have most of the gear issues behind me now. My last take off is when i almost lost it with a near inversion right at takeoff, an over correction, and i was then ok. The right leg had rotated. A deep flat spot, and a spacer should have kept it from doing this. So more locktite. I had done probably 50 or so touch and goes on a rather uneven surface, so i realize that a maintainance schedule is possibly a good idea. I find that this UF is capable of a longer glide slope than the older Flash. Added more flap, and that seems to slow it down more effectively. Im really loving this plane. The gear troubles are definitely worth working through, as the actual mechanism is amazing.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:20 AM
mtnflyer14

Pretty much finished - two days to spare before leaving for Phoenix and Speedworld's Desert Jet fly-in. Haven't gotten the strut covers on and still need to run the engine, but just finished shoveling snow, so don't know if that will get done in Colorado or Arizona. Anyway, a couple pics showing how I laid out the electronics, etc and a couple of the airframe. For what it's worth...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69847.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1559522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17700.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1559523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31152.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1559524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42179.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1559525  
Old 02-06-2011, 01:59 PM
skynet33

ORIGINAL: mtnflyer14

Pretty much finished - two days to spare before leaving for Phoenix and Speedworld's Desert Jet fly-in. Haven't gotten the strut covers on and still need to run the engine, but just finished shoveling snow, so don't know if that will get done in Colorado or Arizona. Anyway, a couple pics showing how I laid out the electronics, etc and a couple of the airframe. For what it's worth...
I just thought i would throw this in, but last year my flash flew flawlessley, but one day I noticed my thrust tube was loose and upon futher inspection i realized that the tabs i bent into a V shape on the inner tube were flattened out causing the inner thrust tube to be loose up and down. the cause was a couple of hard landings and probably transporting over some bumpy roads. The fix was to use a straight blade screwdriver and push the tabs back into a bend. this worked but eventually happened again. So for my new ultra flash this is how i solved the problem. an extra bend and a spotweld to hold in place. only takes minutes to do and you can have the spotweld done at any fabrication shop or spotweld units are relatively cheap.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 PM
indubitably

Has anyone found a fix for the 6mm pins twisting on the main gear? Lock tited and tightened and retightened every 6 to 10 landings. Some one suggested boring out to 8mm. Would that be a good idea? Has anyone else had to deal with this particular problem? Eight flights today, with a lot of landings. Eight minute flights with four minutes for touch and go landings. The plane is great, just the struts are loosening up. I did not have the original pins, as they were missing, had to make them up of ground stock. Flats filed into them - 2 flats on the retract end, both with set screws. The strut end has four set screws and seems to remain secure. What seems to be loosening are the pin to retract, not the pin to strut. I hope this is the right thread to ask questions on? Would alignment have much to do with this? Toe in or out? washers inboard, or perpendicular? I could re-do with more toe in as they appear to be completely 0 degree now. I have inboard washers under the retracts, so there is a little canting or splaying out. Will try this, if no other ideas are forthcoming. The long springs are amazing, and the best idea in a long time, so im not ready to give up on them yet. A friend with a new UF has switched to different retracts, keeping the struts, but he machined an interface for his struts, which seems to clamp on like the Prolink. I dont mind routine maintainance, but this has me concerned. I could take pictures of his mechanism next time i see him, but am interested to hear from others.

[]
Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had 8 flawless flights on my Ultra Flash... The only thing that comes to mind when I fly this airplane is the term "SMOOTH"... Mine is powered with the classic P120... I think I will upgrade the engine after a few months to a Cheetah or similar thrust class engine... I want flat out speed to be even faster than it is.... I dont know if an engine upgrade will make that happen though...  But so far this airplane is superb... I am so glad I bought it.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Dave Wilshere

ORIGINAL: indubitably

Has anyone found a fix for the 6mm pins twisting on the main gear? Lock tited and tightened and retightened every 6 to 10 landings. Some one suggested boring out to 8mm. Would that be a good idea? Has anyone else had to deal with this particular problem? Eight flights today, with a lot of landings. Eight minute flights with four minutes for touch and go landings. The plane is great, just the struts are loosening up. I did not have the original pins, as they were missing, had to make them up of ground stock. Flats filed into them - 2 flats on the retract end, both with set screws. The strut end has four set screws and seems to remain secure. What seems to be loosening are the pin to retract, not the pin to strut. I hope this is the right thread to ask questions on? Would alignment have much to do with this? Toe in or out? washers inboard, or perpendicular? I could re-do with more toe in as they appear to be completely 0 degree now. I have inboard washers under the retracts, so there is a little canting or splaying out. Will try this, if no other ideas are forthcoming. The long springs are amazing, and the best idea in a long time, so im not ready to give up on them yet. A friend with a new UF has switched to different retracts, keeping the struts, but he machined an interface for his struts, which seems to clamp on like the Prolink. I dont mind routine maintainance, but this has me concerned. I could take pictures of his mechanism next time i see him, but am interested to hear from others.

[]

I have exactly your set up on my CF and same Behotec units with Jet 1A legs on my UF and neither have been a problem-the CF in hundreds and hundreds of flights.
First thing to check is with the pin out of the yoke does the grub (set) screw go through fully? I have seen some Behotec yokes where the thread did not go fully through so the set screw felt tight, but not on the pin...
I'd set for slight toe in as the wheels are on the outside and the natural play will allow the wheels to twist out slightly. I always load the wheel with finger pressure in the direction of drag to check the wheel running position.
What are you making your flats with? are they flat or curved? They need to be dead flat where the set screw seats.

We have around 9 Flashes in the local club and all have the stock pins without any problems

Dave
Old 02-07-2011, 04:29 AM
ricardinho

DAVE ARE THESE PROBLEMS YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ON THE OLD STYLE STRAIGHT LEG BOHETICS OR THE NEW BOHETIC TRAILING GEAR... DAVE YOU ARE USING THE STOCK BOHETIC TRAILING GEAR ON YOUR UF CORRECT?..THANKS PAT
Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 AM
tahfiet

Hi guys!

After 3 months of bad weather and useless flying fields (due to bad weather), I finally managed to maiden my Ultraflash. A beautiful day with 15°C, a dry flying field and 20 km/h headwind with gusts of up to 40km/h. Damn, that Ultra is a nice plane. With the settings from Dave Wilshere it feels like I have flown it for ages, from the first minute. Minor aileron trimming and a fair bit of elevator needed, due to a slightly nose-heavy C/G. And with full flaps it lands like a trainer 40...

BR,

David
Old 02-07-2011, 09:27 AM
ricardinho

thats what i want to here..
Old 02-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Dave Wilshere

ORIGINAL: ricardinho

DAVE ARE THESE PROBLEMS YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ON THE OLD STYLE STRAIGHT LEG BOHETICS OR THE NEW BOHETIC TRAILING GEAR... DAVE YOU ARE USING THE STOCK BOHETIC TRAILING GEAR ON YOUR UF CORRECT?..THANKS PAT
I've not had problems! But the legs supplied with the UF are not Behotec, they are AT. I have exactly the same set up in my Flash. Just need a flat that is allowing full contact on the set screw and they are fine

Dave
Old 02-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Dave Wilshere

ORIGINAL: tahfiet

Hi guys!

After 3 months of bad weather and useless flying fields (due to bad weather), I finally managed to maiden my Ultraflash. A beautiful day with 15°C, a dry flying field and 20 km/h headwind with gusts of up to 40km/h. Damn, that Ultra is a nice plane. With the settings from Dave Wilshere it feels like I have flown it for ages, from the first minute. Minor aileron trimming and a fair bit of elevator needed, due to a slightly nose-heavy C/G. And with full flaps it lands like a trainer 40...

BR,

David
David

Con Grats! Glad you like it as much as the other people who have flown her.

Dave
Old 02-07-2011, 11:46 AM
tahfiet

Some pictures from this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	by76298.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1559945   Click image for larger version

Name:	to45267.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1559946   Click image for larger version

Name:	ej12531.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1559947   Click image for larger version

Name:	ys50019.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1559948  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.